Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2119912)   #1
Colin_M
Rookie

Colin_M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Torro Rosso, Green rear light

Anyone know why the torro rosso has a green rear light? Everyone else has red.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9dOJiTY9o

on 32 seconds
Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2119916)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
My guess is that it has something to do with restarts in wet conditions.Obviously they are testing it out.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2119923)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Green light = GO.

That tells the others that is OK to pass them...
Old 3 Feb 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2119934)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like it might be a test to see whether the Green is more visable through the spray.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2119976)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The green light was more visable imo. Wasn't it BAR/Honda who went with a blue back light a couple of seasons ago?
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2119979)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I was always under the impression the green light was used when they had a newer driver in the car. To warn the other drivers that he was new.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2119991)   #7
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looking through some testing pics, Williams, Super Aguri, Force India and Honda have green lights as well...
Old 3 Feb 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2120013)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Driver 1 = Red Light?
Driver 2 = Green Light?

Just a guess, but this could be the case I guess...
Old 3 Feb 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2120096)   #9
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great! Pit stops for tyres, fuel and now driver changes
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2120117)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'd rather like to believe that the light can be changed from green to red and back by someone in the pitlane (race control) or maybe has something to do with the new ECU that is being used,which can detect whether or not a car is travelling more slowly than normal race pace.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2120124)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A green rear light is nothing new really. I remember Minardi running with one a few years ago.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2120128)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember a specific reason for the green light was given not long ago, I'm damned if I can recall it though.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2120135)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I can't find anything that talks about it?
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2120146)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The 2008 tech regs only require the car to be fitted with a red light.This light is supplied by an FIA designated company,so I would assume that the FIA,in the interests of safety,can alter the specification of this component has it sees fit.In the interests of safety it may be better for the cars to switch to a green light in wet weather when racing and a red light when there has been an accident or the safety car has been deployed.Currently the red light is switched on by the driver!
Old 4 Feb 2008, 00:55 (Ref:2120160)   #15
sidepodcast
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
sidepodcast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pretty sure it's a "rookie light", for drivers who've not completed the required mileage. i forget the figure they have to reach before it's switched off.

it'll probably not be in the regs, as it's for testing use only.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 01:17 (Ref:2120164)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepodcast
pretty sure it's a "rookie light", for drivers who've not completed the required mileage. i forget the figure they have to reach before it's switched off.

it'll probably not be in the regs, as it's for testing use only.
Vettel and Bourdais were driving that day.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64726

So if it was Bourdais in the car at the time,then that would explain it.

Oh well,I still like my idea of the 'green for go' and 'red for slow' thing.But no one ever listens do they.

Last edited by Marbot; 4 Feb 2008 at 01:21.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2120802)   #17
Colin_M
Rookie

Colin_M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you learn something new everyday lol. Thanks for the replys so far.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2120863)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Force India also seem to be running the green light...

Last edited by Burnsie; 4 Feb 2008 at 17:19. Reason: Photograph problem
Old 4 Feb 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2120877)   #19
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite a cool photo! The lighting/colours feel different for some reason. Must be the result of a winter sky, or something...
Old 4 Feb 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2120959)   #20
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Force India also seem to be running the green light...

Not just new drivers, but new teams as well?
Old 5 Feb 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2121473)   #21
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toro Rosso running a green light?

Maybe they're making Webber's job of exhuming revenge on Vettel easier?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen