Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3176898)   #2551
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm guessing it's a case of Sky providing more coverage than any other station? Their pre and post race shows go on for ages and I suppose they are the only dedicated F1 channel, albeit not everybody who wants to can watch it.

More doesn't always mean best, but that's just my opinion.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3176934)   #2552
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sorry to report, but the coverage was very good. And comprehensive, although I didn't watch it all.

From my limited experience I would say it beats most other European coverage and is on a par with the beeb in quality, but doesn't have EJ.

And it was four hundred thousand times better than ITV was.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3176997)   #2553
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'm sorry to report, but the coverage was very good. And comprehensive, although I didn't watch it all.
?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3177104)   #2554
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
And what's this I heard that Bernie has said the Beeb are showing all the 2013races live? Was that him winding up Sky or just the Beeb?!
Old 10 Dec 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3177168)   #2555
Apple
Racer

England
E.Sussex
Apple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
And what's this I heard that Bernie has said the Beeb are showing all the 2013races live? Was that him winding up Sky or just the Beeb?!
Jake Humphrey said that in the round up after the last race on the BBC
I thought I was hearing things as I had not heard that anywhere else,
And no one had picked it up on here. ?
Old 10 Dec 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3177169)   #2556
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nah, i took it as being "we're showing every race on the bbc". he didn't say live. i read into that that no-one really knew what was happening next year and most likely it'd end up with just extended highlights for every race.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3177249)   #2557
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
?
Lots of people hate sky. I am sorry to say they provided good coverage.

The programmes were very long (as well as good quality) I didn't have the time to watch all of it.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3177545)   #2558
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see Bernie has awarded sky the best TV coverage award for GP's.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104768
I wonder why I'm not surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Did it realy deserve it or does Bernie like sky's money more than that any of other TV station covering F1.

I got the impression that they were no better than any other TV station but had a lot of filler to fill a dedicated channnel.
How can one say that coverage by a channel that has a small viewer ship is better than its compeditors in the same market.
P.S. I have not seen any recent viewing figures but sky's were quite small when compared to the BBC.
I watched GPs on both the BBC and Sky; personally I preferred the BBC's coverage and found their interviews and overall presentation that bit more professional than Sky's. I thought Sky's was a little gimicky. As for the commentary teams I had no preference.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3177570)   #2559
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I liked the BBC's 'family' atmosphere a bit more but Sky did a good job. Hill works well with Herbert and so on.

I've no time to watch saturation coverage - I just swoop in not long before the start, and fly out not long after the chequered flag but if you do buy into all that - then Sky certainly demonstrated their commitment.

Personally, I think it unwise for them to devote an entire channel to it and I think they maybe regretting that.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3177593)   #2560
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I liked the BBC's 'family' atmosphere a bit more but Sky did a good job. Hill works well with Herbert and so on.

I've no time to watch saturation coverage - I just swoop in not long before the start, and fly out not long after the chequered flag but if you do buy into all that - then Sky certainly demonstrated their commitment.

Personally, I think it unwise for them to devote an entire channel to it and I think they maybe regretting that.
Very unwise. Every day I look at the listings, and it's the same old repeats after repeats. They've got to either commission some new material or cut the transmission to 6 hours a day.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3177603)   #2561
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Very unwise. Every day I look at the listings, and it's the same old repeats after repeats. They've got to either commission some new material or cut the transmission to 6 hours a day.
So which six hours and which time zone? I can watch the Sky feed anytime of day through my laptop in overseas locations. It has adverts but you can live with those and they don't show ads during the races.

Whilst I liked Jake and the team, in fact you have to go along way to beat them in my view. Martin Brundle's input into the Sky feed is something that many other channels just don't have. He is genuinely enjoying himself whilst you get the impression that those such as Christian Danner (RTL5) think they are above the sport.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3177621)   #2562
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Could have sworn that's what I heard as well but without the benefit of a re-run I don't know if the comment was made under a yellow
Old 11 Dec 2012, 17:04 (Ref:3177629)   #2563
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's even within the scope of the pre-race show the pundits repeat themselves and I'm not knocking the pundits per say because how could any human say anything else in those hours?

I like motorsport and I would prefer to watch GT Open say than dizzy lifestyle segments where Rosberg and some Merc engineer compete doing somethingorother on a yokeimijig.

I think Sky got a bit too dizzy afraid of accusations that they where just tucking the sport behind a paywall to make money and overreached themselves in an attempt to win over the race fahn. A huge race fan constituency are going to be the types that watch live race coverage offered on other channels not dizzy lifestyle pieces and common-sense recycled. Maybe I'm misreading the demographic and there is another constituency out there that prefers all this stuff wall-to-wall to the detriment of live race coverage elsewhere.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3177638)   #2564
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed. You've got to be a totally devoted fan to watch all that -and I don't think there are enough of them out there.

You can tell from this forum that the majority of us watch just the qualifying and race. I can't watch the race repeats - I know what happens next. And the rest is just "filler", with little content of any substance.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3177646)   #2565
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I thought that Sky did a great job. I'm in the position of having three (legitimate) options to view F1: Sky F1, Setanta & BBC. This year I really only watched Sky coverage, why? I like Marty! If Marty had stayed at BBC I'd likely have watched their race coverage.

As for the other bits, some of them were fun, some were a bit boring. There's only so many times I can see Nigel Roebuck going on (and on!) about Senna.

The "fluff" bits were just that, fluff, and a laugh. I can dip in and out of them. Here at Tenths Towers we got in to a routine of recording the race day coverage and then sitting down to start watching it about 30 minutes after the coverage started. That gave ample time to watch the bits we wanted to see and skip over the adverts and repetative bits and still be pretty much "on live" for the grid walk and the race itself.

There's a lot of comment on here about "how will they fill the air time", that's working on the assumption that people WANT the air time filled. It doesn't HAVE to be, that's the beauty of a service that is becoming more and more on-demand or time-shifted. Take a look through the Sky program guide and at any time of the day there will be plenty of "Teleshopping" segments being shown, or "This Is BLAH Channel!" So why should the F1 channel be any different.

"F1 should be live and free on the BBC" - WHY? Tennis is a global sport, golf is a global sport, football is a global sport and a sport where in the UK there's a larger audience than F1. Do the BBC show every single tennis/golf tournament or UK football match live? I don't think so.

We should close this thread soon and rename it "F1 WENT to Sky Sports"
Old 11 Dec 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3177685)   #2566
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
It's not a schedule crammed with repeats that I question per say - because that's what multichannel broadcasting is. It's all the expensive live stuff on location on a Sunday that seems neither productive and of questionable viability. It might not appeal to the dedicated motorsport fan who may watch other live motorsport whilst the lifestyle stuff goes on but it may appeal to the F1 fan who might be interested in the private lives of the stars. I wonder did the Sky people appreciate the distinction?

Maybe it doesn't matter though. Maybe I've misread the demographic and the broadcasting business model. I do know that saturation coverage involving Natalie Pinkman hovering around some driver whilst he fries some shrimp doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3177817)   #2567
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about they show races from the 70s/80s in there entirety that would fill some space?
Old 12 Dec 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3177948)   #2568
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
How about they show races from the 70s/80s in there entirety that would fill some space?
Do they have the rights to them?
Old 12 Dec 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3177949)   #2569
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Do they have the rights to them?
That's what I was wondering.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3177955)   #2570
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did the BBC ever show them in their entirety on the red button when they had F1 exclusively?

If the Beeb haven't you have to wonder whether there are full recordings available. Perhaps all that's left are the highlights shows?
Old 12 Dec 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3178160)   #2571
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The one thing I really liked about Sky was the Legend programmes.

They must have made, what, two? Three? Did Steve Rider get tired?
Old 12 Dec 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3178196)   #2572
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The interviews with Mario, Emmo, etc? There were loads of them. Were they called Legends. The Mansell one was gold. He was so Mansell I thought it was a send up.

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Dec 2012 at 21:44.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3178201)   #2573
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That was indeed fantastic. The sheer charisma the man has.

Mansell on the other hand was dull as hell.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3178210)   #2574
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

My favourite was the Hakkinen one.

I don't know why, but the guy just makes me giggle uncontrollably. His story is a good one. And he was sporting Boris Johnson hair, which flapped everywhere in the Monte Carlo breeze!
Old 12 Dec 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3178213)   #2575
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, Steve should have lent him some super concrete.

Tags
outrage, sky