Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Jan 2001, 14:30 (Ref:56644)   #1
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why the historic touring cars dropped out of the BTCC support package? I need to know!
Old 7 Jan 2001, 02:57 (Ref:56905)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ICS Historic Touring Car Championship was the highlight of a BTTC weekend for me.
The supertourers were amazing of course, but to watch Harvey Death in his Morris Mini Cooper S battling with Kevin Mansell and Norman Ricketts in their three-wheeling Lotus Cortinas was a sight to behold! Not to mention Peter Hall's and Roly Nix's grumbling V8 Camaros.

I would suggest they were a victim of their own success on two counts.

Firstly, they certainly provided at least an equal spectacle to the ST cars. (See above!)
But secondly, I think the association with the BTTC gave the Historics much needed exposure. With this came overflowing grids and filled to bursting-point paddocks.

Perhaps the ICS boys were being charged too much to appear as a BTTC feature, and they called a halt themselves, but I doubt it. These guys are prepared to spend a penny or three!

Witness the Top Hat and Historic Saloon Car Club Championships. They are overflowing.
They certainly haven't been damaged by no longer appearing with 'the Big Boys'.

It sure would be nice to have a Classic round with the BMP package though, wouldn't it?
Old 11 Jan 2001, 10:03 (Ref:57980)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly the same thing has happened with Historic Touring Cars in Australia. They were previously invited to support the Bathurst 1000 and the Formula 1 GP, but nowadays, there is some bad blood between the powers that be, because the last time Historic Touring Cars ran at a V8 supercar event they were well and truly ****ed up the arse by the promoters. Hopefully reconciliation is just around the corner, because the Historic Touring Car guys want to run at the big meetings and the punters really love the old cars and can't wait to see them again. Perhaps, the V8 Supercars don't want to be upstaged by a support act putting on a better show?
Old 11 Jan 2001, 21:49 (Ref:58067)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the funniest moments of the Historic Touring Cars that I witnessed was at Lodge Oulton Park where one of the Camaros had parked itself well and truly into the gravel. Four marshals on the front, four on the back "right, all together now lads, PUSH!!!" This was followed by much head scratching and a further three attempts before it dawned on them that they were pushing against each other and getting nowhere