Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2528785)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2010 calendar shaping up

From Dieter Rencken's latest Grapevine article (subscription only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Rencken
Canada, too, seems to be back on track, although, say sources, not in Montreal. Could the race be returning to Mont-Tremblant, that picturesque circuit, scene of the 1968/70 Canadian Grands Prix, nestling in the gorgeous Laurentian Mountains approximately an hour's drive north-west of Quebec's capital?
Rencken's potential calendar
1) 28 March - Australia
2) 4 April - Malaysia
3) 18 April - China - thought to be the last race unless the CRH strikes a deal with Beijing
4) 25 April - Bahrain
5) 16 May - Spain - with, allegedly, an official test session in Spain preceding the race
6) 30 May - Monaco
7) 13 June - Turkey
8) 27 June - Canada - Mont-Tremblant?
9) 11 July - Britain - possibly followed by a week-long test session if Silverstone
10) 25 July - Germany - if...
11) 1 August - Hungary - subject to Calendar Commission permission as it falls within August
12) 22 August - Belgium
13) 5 September - Europe
14) 12 September - Italy
15) 26 September - Singapore
16) 3 October - Japan
17) 17 October - Brazil
18) 31 October - Abu Dhabi

CRH - Commercial Rights Holder (i.e. CVC/Bernard)

Well I don't make this stuff up. Seems a wacky rumour given the state Mont Tremblant is in but anything can happen in F1 and it usually does...

In the full article, there are other details on what the teams have to approve on the calendar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Rencken
Other sources have indicated that the CRH can schedule 17 or less races without reference to the teams, provided no less than six come from an 'A' list containing a mix of traditional events, 'blue-chips' and at least one Middle East event.

Teams would, though, need to grant permission for the CRH to go beyond 17 races, with 20 being the absolute limit. No more than 50% of races on any calendar can be 'non-European' - falling outside Europe and, strangely, North America - while all events are ranked according to their successive durations in previous FIA championships in order to prevent (past) farcical situations whereby, say, France was ranked as 'newcomer' (thus saving the CRH on travel benefits) while China was not...
Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2528821)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty sure Mont Tremblant is in no real state to gain a proper licence. On the other hand, Ile De Notre Dame is a nice circuit with its own challenges. It's not the best on the calendar, but it's an improvement on many.

Any word on any USA return? Surely Concorde would encourage that.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2528835)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nope, nothing on the USA coming back. Just Canada

Elsewhere, India is in trouble but Bernie's looking at Argentina right now. Not heard much from South Jeolla lately either

And on Canada, maybe he (or his source) has just got Tremblant and Tremblay (i.e. the mayor of Montreal) mixed up. Or maybe not. Either way, Montreal is by no means certain, it seems
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2528883)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Really need 20 races I think.

Season should start a few weeks earlier (say early March) and finish mid - late November.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2528886)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The idea of a race at Mt Tremblant is absolutely laughable. More chance of Cadwell Park being asked to step in at the last minute to run the British GP
Old 27 Aug 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2529352)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the Tremblant circuit - it put on one of the most amazing Champ Car races I've ever attended/photographed. The standards of the circuit have been upgrade remarkably in the last few years - the track itself is on par with any of the European circuits in terms of safety and and it would be great for F1 testing.

However, there is no way it would be up to F1's expecations to host a Grand Prix - it's just not big enough. There were about 30,000 people there for the 2007 Champ Car race, and the place was jam packed - and everything was *very* well logistically, they even had a temporary media centre that would put the Canadian GP's media centre to shame. If F1 is ok with 30,000 people (which is a lot more than Turkey had I understand), then Tremblant would do fine. Don't expect a lot of overtaking though... unless it rains, which it does often(think mini-Spa).

However, if they want 110,000 people it will have to be at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve or some other temporary street circuit in Montreal or Toronto.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Aug 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2529370)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Nope, nothing on the USA coming back. Just Canada

Elsewhere, India is in trouble but Bernie's looking at Argentina right now. Not heard much from South Jeolla lately either

And on Canada, maybe he (or his source) has just got Tremblant and Tremblay (i.e. the mayor of Montreal) mixed up. Or maybe not. Either way, Montreal is by no means certain, it seems
India was a non-starter from the first time it was mentioned. I don't see Korea happening because it's just gone dead. Some suggestion was that it would end the season - would be a little cold, really (following looking at the weather for the nearest major city). Also it's completely the wrong time zone, my suggestion for the final round being the USA because it'll be plenty warm enough in California.

Argentina has more of a historical claim, but could be a bit lower down on the list really.

With regards to Canada, Mont-Tremblant is a non-starter. However, Ile De Notre Dame deserves a race, pure and simple.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2529385)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
There's now speculation that because Australia is going to be so late in March again that Bahrain will be scheduled for March 14th and thus retake the opening race slot it held in 2006

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/78037
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2529412)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Really need 20 races I think.

Season should start a few weeks earlier (say early March) and finish mid - late November.
Somehow I think 20 races are too much for the team members. It could also be argued whether 20 races would be good for racing.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2529420)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Somehow I think 20 races are too much for the team members. It could also be argued whether 20 races would be good for racing.
Absolutely. The opening races of this season were a killer for the teams.

As one of the sensible journalists remarked at the time: "The people who devise the calendar are not the ones who have to work with it."
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2529538)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There's now speculation that because Australia is going to be so late in March again that Bahrain will be scheduled for March 14th and thus retake the opening race slot it held in 2006

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/78037
I don't like Bahrain, but its my favourite of the track-designed-for-the-car circuit, and it produced a pretty decent race this year - I don't mind, as long as the season opener is a good one. But I'll miss getting up to watch it in the morning.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2529541)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Argentina right now.
Yes please! As much South America as possible!
Old 28 Aug 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2529691)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I think F1 teams managed at least 20 races per annum in the 60s including non-championship & tasman.Drivers a lot more adding F2 & sportscars.
Old 28 Aug 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2529969)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
F1-Live have a provisional calendar - don't know how official or trustworthy it is

2010 Formula One provisional calendar:

March 14 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
March 28 – Australia (Melbourne)
April 4 – Malaysia (Sepang)
April 25 – Turkey (Istanbul)
May 9 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 23 – Monaco (Monte Carlo)
June 6 – Canada (Montreal)
June 27 – Europe (Valencia)
July 11 – Great Britain (Donington)
July 25 – Germany (Hockenheim)
August 1 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 22 – Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
September 5 – Italy (Monza)
September 19 – China (Shanghai)
September 26 – Singapore (Singapore)
October 10 – Japan (Suzuka)
October 24 – Brazil (Interlagos)
November 7 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Things to note:

- Bahrain is season opener
- No Korea
- Canada definitely back and, as expected, at Montreal
- Hockenheim is in
- China goes back to September
- Valencia moves to June, taking the slot formerly held by France
- 3 week breaks in April, June and August - I reckon we might see a test session or 2
Old 28 Aug 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2530076)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Starting the season earlier and ending it later is a good move.

Is there really any need for a 5 month break anyway?
Old 28 Aug 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2530121)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Starting the season earlier and ending it later is a good move.

Is there really any need for a 5 month break anyway?
I would imagine thats to give the new teams longer to set up, and the current teams time to find a buyer for when they quit ...plus the in season testing ban.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 02:38 (Ref:2530204)   #17
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A return to Montréal is wonderful; always was a fun race. I just wish it was later in June so I could attend in person.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 04:34 (Ref:2530230)   #18
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least the Hockenheim entry in the latest schedule above seems to be rather doubtful unless Bernie pays the 7 million euro the country Baden-Württemberg doesn't want to pay. The latest news from this front was that Hockenheim gave up the GP.

Oh and I have to agree with Jay on Mont Tremblant and the 2007 Champcar race there. I quite like the circuit
Old 29 Aug 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2530646)   #19
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Bahrain is opening the season. forgive me if i dont sound excited but i've been to more lively funerals than that place. I dont think there's a single race fan present there, it's all corporate guests. Australia know how to put on a party and show enthusiasm and although I'm watching on the sofa with my duvet over my knees at 4am, the atmosphere comes across. last time Bahrain hosted the season opener it felt like such a non-event.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2530681)   #20
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I can think of better, but I can think of worse. I'd rather Bahrain hold the first race than Sepang or Valencia or, Heaven forbid, Shanghai. It's a good racing circuit with some decent corners, and it has the added bonus of it being a testing venue - they're probably going to do a big pre-season test a couple of weeks before and leave the equipment out there, which will save loads on the travel costs

I didn't find it that bad in 06. I'd rather Australia but I'd rather Suzuka held the last race and I'd rather Brazil back where it belongs at the head of the calendar, but neither are going to happen any time soon
Old 30 Aug 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2530785)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The Donington date appears to clash with the soccer world cup final....hmmmm.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2530952)   #22
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Spa are interested in rotating with the 'Ring - I think this is going to happen. Not necessarily good for the fans but it makes commercial sense
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2532082)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suppose I might just have to start watching the series every other year then.

Seriously though, it's starting to look like a lot of this next round of ventures are not panning out. India has put a hold on a Grand Prix there. There's nothing new out of Korea of late. Indonesia doesn't have the resources to put an F1 venue together. Nothing has happened with South Africa or Mexico, and the Russian circuits are well behind schedule. Also, China and Turkey could be out soon.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2532086)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Bearing in mind the failiure of his ventures I'd imagine Bernie might have to start cutting or freezing the fees - Purist has listed that. He won't exactly be desparately trying to avoid the minimum (eight events in the regs, probably more in Concorde) number but he'll want 16-18 races. I think we'll see both rounds each year for the forseeable future.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2532089)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
On South Africa, the Gauteng local government have abandoned the plans to bring F1 back

However, I have read quite a bit lately on Argentina. Bernie seems to want to go back to Buenos Aires in 2011. And to be fair, they have solid F1 and motorsport pedigree, so not something I would mind. Plus there's the issues of France and the USA coming back in which no doubt FOTA will be pushing for, as they've got what they wanted with Canada