Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 Jan 2011, 22:32 (Ref:2816544)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SBF's 2011 thread

I've run out of fancy track names for the moment so I thought I might just do as everyone else has and created a thread for their own work.

So first track is entitled 1st circuit in January

Some details:

All Circuits run Anti Clockwise

Short circuit:
Length: 4.327km or 2.733 miles
Turns: 13
Long Straight: 812.56m (T13 to T1)
2nd : 345m (T9 to T10)
3rd : 338m (T2 to T3)

Long circuit with Chicane:
Length: 6.875km or 4.297 miles
Turns: 20
Long Straight: 812.65m (T20 to T1)
2nd: 763m (T15 to T16)
3rd: 467m (T9 to T10)

Long Circuit original Layout:
Length: 6.487km or 4.055 miles
Turns: 18
Long Straight: 948.35m (T15 to T16)
2nd: 813m (T18 to T1)
3rd: 467m (T9 to T10)

Comments criticisms and possible edits are welcomed as aways.

Oh and I'm not finished with one yet, there may just be some elevation changes.

Edit An extra image for you, a how the circuit liiks in line drawing format
Attached Thumbnails
Jan 1 Top View.jpg   Jan 1 T4.jpg   Jan 1 T8.jpg  

Jan 1 spit and rejoin.jpg   Jan 1 Chicane.jpg   Jan 1 outline.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 16 Jan 2011 at 22:51.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2816649)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely ingredients there! Let's see...

Bit of the old Turn 8 of Turkey there, with of a touch of the old Club section, followed by some Suzuka-esque esses.

Very nice! I think that'd be a very fun lap.

Selby
Old 17 Jan 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2816728)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. A very nice flow you got here.

I like it a lot.

bio
Old 17 Jan 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2816746)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I just realised how 'Villenueve' (Imola) that chicane is, too.

Selby
Old 17 Jan 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2816902)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to spoil the soup, but this one is just not my cup of tea. The flow is rather too stop-start for my taste. However, a procedure known as a standard from the toolbox of yourself, SBF, could fix it fairly easily: switching around the racing direction to anticlockwise. If you did that, there'd be just two corners to repair: the new first corner would need more runoff and 2nd half of the Esse behind the paddock could use more radius.
I hope you like my suggestions.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2816937)   #6
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really nice track. Plenty of overtaking opportunities, long straights and it has a good flow. Only things i would change is to have a bit more run off at the exit of T8 and to move the T15 chicane to about halfway down the previous straight and have a bus stop style chicane instead
Old 17 Jan 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2816965)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Sorry to spoil the soup, but this one is just not my cup of tea. The flow is rather too stop-start for my taste. However, a procedure known as a standard from the toolbox of yourself, SBF, could fix it fairly easily: switching around the racing direction to anticlockwise. If you did that, there'd be just two corners to repair: the new first corner would need more runoff and 2nd half of the Esse behind the paddock could use more radius.
I hope you like my suggestions.
Yannick it does run anti clockwise
From the turn in point of the first corner their is over 100m of gravel before hitting anything solid.

I'm not sure where you'd want more radius?
Old 17 Jan 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2816998)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not fond of this track. I agree with Yannick that it is way to stop-start for at least half of the lap. After the first corner, wich it must be said is great for overtaking, you come up with not 1 but 2 times a copy of Club corner, mirrorred the second time. After that, the good part start. Until the hairpin in the east, the track is challenging. From there until the finisch it is stop-start again.
I'm looking forward to the next track, because I know you can do better.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2818010)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The track has a lot of good ideas and it would make an OK circuit in treh pthe present environment of real world circuit design but I don't like 'Club corner' although I have used something similar in my designs.

I like the Suzuka style esses but i don't like the chicane. I wouldn't turn it into a bus stop but would have it extrude more and make it more like a proper sharp alternative corner by taking up more of the land between the chicane and the esses.

That first ess bend looks a little sharp and tends to cut the flow through the esses making it like a tight corner and then you accelerate through the esses.

I would round it out more so the whole sequence is high speed.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say it is more along the lines of recent 'manufactured' circuits and drifts a long way away from my personal preferred ideas of 'traditional road' circuits.

Its got good elements but its not my style. However I could see it being created somewhere in the real world and I like it better as a F1 circuit than the Austin proposal....if that means anything.

Last edited by Teretonga; 19 Jan 2011 at 22:09.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2818536)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
January 2, and since January is usually sales time, I'm giving you a 4 for the price of one. Yep one of my multi-layout circuits.

First up is the overall layout in line drawing format. All circuits are run in an Anti-Clockwise direction as can be judged by the gravel traps.
The North and South Circuits
The Short "oval" that isn't quite an oval together with a variation on South Circuit
The International Circuit with option.
The GP Circuit again with option.

The reason I haven't yet produced the full colour version, is that the main (South) pit entry is once of the most complex I've done for a while and have some layering issues I need to get sorted out. They could take forever so I've decided to post as is now.

I've added a close up of the pit entry.

Ass usual Comments, Criticisms and possible edits are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2nd Layout.jpg   January 2nd North South.jpg   January 2nd Short Oval.jpg  

January 2nd Inter Circuit.jpg   January 2nd GP.jpg   January 2nd pit entry.jpg  

Old 21 Jan 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2818582)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Great effort....
I like the long circuit, the 3.995m one. Thats a great circuit for F1 and LMP's in particular and I think motorcyclist would like them as well. They flow well, are really fast and have good corner sequences.
The third one incorporating the second circuit and the oval is great too.
I thought the two shorter circuits would be fine but they would both be quite quick.
Maybe too quick and not quite as 'driver challenging' for some levels of club racing.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2818725)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yeah, my favourite is the black one, too. T1 is an especially promising one IMHO. Any vertical variation on that one?

bio
Old 21 Jan 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2818734)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
That black one's a very tasty circuit indeed!

I can spot at least 4 definitive overtaking spots, without looking too 'manufactured'.

Great work. Lots of flow. And what I like about it is its originality. Normally (and this isn't a knock, because I do it, too), you'll see parts of a circuit that you can liken to others, whereas this looks pretty fresh.

Selby
Old 21 Jan 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2818850)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
not to much vertical variation due to it being a relatively small
perhaps bottom right corner being higher than the rest. T2 could climb and the T5-6 esses come back downhill.
The rest would only have very gentle changes since all very close together and linked
Old 30 Jan 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2822909)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Time to squeeze in another design before the end of January

This one is 6.3km or 3.93 miles
It runs Anticlockwise
It has 18 official corners.
The Longest straight is 830m

As always comments criticism and possible edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
January 3rd Top View.jpg   January 3rd numbered corners.jpg   January 3rd From T3.jpg  

January 3rd From T7.jpg   January 3rd From T11.jpg   January 3rd From T16.jpg  

Old 30 Jan 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2822921)   #16
bio
Veteran

Hungary
The usual quality from you.

The only thing I think of is the section T7-9. I'd omit T8 and make that section a straight to have one more full-feldged overtaking spot at T9.

Cool staff anyways.

bio
Old 31 Jan 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2822984)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Very nice work. I like it alot although I am usually not a fan of fast kinked start straights.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 01:28 (Ref:2822986)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
It may not be clear but one detail unusual for me is the change in width.
The exit of T18 opens out from the usual 14.5m to 20m wide. T1 is 20m wide through out, the circuit narrows back down through T2
Old 31 Jan 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2823063)   #19
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it a lot, especially 6-1- and 12-15. And there are enough overtakingopportunities as well at 1, 5 and 16, maybe also at 11 in categories without to much downforce, so no need for another one.
On a different note, I doubt that the construction of the roof of the grandstand will stay in place like you designed it. I'm not an engineer or something similar though....
Old 31 Jan 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2823248)   #20
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
On a different note, I doubt that the construction of the roof of the grandstand will stay in place like you designed it. I'm not an engineer or something similar though....
That would probably be possible to build it the way it's seen on the image - but very probably there are support poles meant to support the outer edge of the roof - they're just not visible on the image.

bio
Old 1 Feb 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2823559)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Roofs are something that I don't do very well. I try to be creative in style but I admit, just like my bridges they aren't technically accurate
Old 1 Feb 2011, 01:05 (Ref:2823582)   #22
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, you can be pretty sure your tracks are good if it's the grandstand's roof that's picked at, huh?

bio
Old 1 Feb 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2823584)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'll drink to that
Old 11 Feb 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2829443)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
February sees the return of the crossover.

Running Anti clockwise from the Pit straight
5.917km
3.70 miles
16 Corners
5 overtaking places (or I'd like to hope).

Comments criticism and possible edits welcomed as always.

Oh the numbering system:The left hand kerb on exit of T3 is called T4 ahead of the odd shaped multi radius T5 which leads onto the straight.
The Loop from Under the bridge around onto the Bridge consists of T7 and T8 though considered as one corner.
Hope that Helps.
Attached Thumbnails
feb 1 Top View.jpg   feb 1 T5.jpg   feb 1 T7_8.jpg  

feb 1 T11_12.jpg   feb 1 T14.jpg  
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2829557)   #25
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Absolutely fan-tastic!

It's like Magny Cours on acid!

Selby