Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Nov 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2784354)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Wuerzburg,Germany
Posts: 6,770
Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blancpain Endurance Series 2011

Speedweek.de has an article on Ratel's new endurance series: Here
(Google did a surprisingly good job at translating that one )
Speed-King is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2784372)   #2
Chiana
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,070
Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice... but they just completely ignored GT2?
Chiana is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2784375)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Wuerzburg,Germany
Posts: 6,770
Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's really the other way around: GT2 ignored them.
Speed-King is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2784402)   #4
AstonGeoff
Veteran
 
AstonGeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
England
Witney
Posts: 526
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think it's really the other way around: GT2 ignored them.
Nope, SRO ignored GT2 whilst busy setting up the GT1 World Championship, by the time they looked at GT2 it was toooo late and teams had gone off to LMS or Int GT Open
AstonGeoff is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2784407)   #5
kyoung
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
United States
Posts: 399
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Stink Weasel wants another series where no talent moneybag owner/drivers are allowed the illusion they can actually compete with talented drivers. At least the SRO is consistent, consistently bad. Get rid of the idiotic driver ratings and success ballast, if you have talent and a fast car you can win, if you donít you can always find another hobby. Or better yet create a series where rich losers can race each other.
kyoung is online now  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2784435)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 6,456
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So now SRO will try to attract entries from... the FIA GT3 and GT4 sprint race championships? I wonder if teams will try to do both.

Now, please all let's pray for ACO not to add GT3 / GTC to the Euro LMS.
NaBUru38 is offline  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didnít make a handful of errors this year, and Iíll show you someone who wasnít trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2784438)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 6,456
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oops! Wrong timing.
NaBUru38 is offline  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didnít make a handful of errors this year, and Iíll show you someone who wasnít trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2784467)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Wuerzburg,Germany
Posts: 6,770
Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So now SRO will try to attract entries from... the FIA GT3 and GT4 sprint race championships? I wonder if teams will try to do both.
It's a short schedule, so it should be possible to run this one alongside another project - and all the tracks are located quite conveniently for teams from Germany, Benelux or Northern France.
Phoenix already said that they'd like to try their hand at this and I think other VLN or GT-Masters-teams might follow.

Planetlemans.com has all the facts available in proper English now: Here

Quote:
Stink Weasel
And forchrissake will you please stop denigrating people by comparing them to vermin? That's something a guy with a weird beard liked to do some seventy years ago
Speed-King is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2784481)   #9
kyoung
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
United States
Posts: 399
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
And forchrissake will you please stop denigrating people by comparing them to vermin? That's something a guy with a weird beard liked to do some seventy years ago

Iím sorry if I offended you, I could have used the obvious ďratĒ that has been used many times before by other forum members, but I thought stink weasel was a more humorous description of an ego maniac who names a racing organization after himself in shameless self promotion, a person (not people) that clearly panders to all the things that destroy good racing (IMHO). Donít try to spin this into something it is not, I have a low opinion of Ratel, you may love him and think he is the second coming and thatís OK, just realize I am making fun of a ďpersonĒ not ďpeopleĒ. How about pandering misguided ego maniac, does that meet your test?

Instead of addressing Ratelís handle, why not comment on success ballast or driver ratings do you have an opinion on this?
kyoung is online now  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2784487)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Wuerzburg,Germany
Posts: 6,770
Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You didn't offend me, I just think it's bad taste, just like the "rat"-thing. Maybe that's culture-specific and it's me who should adapt to the "host"-culture of this board, but then, sportscar racing often prides itself for its upper-class demographics and I think it should be possible for us to discuss these matters in a civilized and respectful manner...

But anyway:
- There's nothing indicating an appliance of success ballast in the new GT endurance series in either article at Speedweek and planetlemans so I can only comment on that in a wider sense: The big question is: What's the alternative? To me there are two: Tampering with the rules all season long or having boring races. This year they have applied rules-tampering and success-ballast, and I am more than ready to agree that they have been rather heavy-handed at times, especially in the GT1-series during the first half of the season.
Few series can survive on all out competition without any regards to parity anymore since that's too hard to sell to spectators, sponsors and funded drivers. So a transparent system of success-ballast is something I'd definitely prefer over arbitratry technical regulation changes during the season.

- as for driver ratings: I think what they are trying to do in this case is rather smart if they do it right: This time, they'll allow full-pro-lineups. There are plenty of series out there that have a "Gentleman's Trophy" or something like that, so this isn't like the approach taken here is anything radically new.
The important thing to me is, that they have a kind of upwards-compatability in the series, i.e. all teams and drivers in the pro-am-class should be allowed to score points towards the overall "Pro-Cup"-championship, but not the other way around. If they handle it that way, I am all for it. If they want to have truly separate classes it's not all that bright, as it will result in very small numbers of cars per class...
Speed-King is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2784500)   #11
Joe Taylor
Veteran
 
Joe Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 544
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Looks like Stink Weasel wants another series where no talent moneybag owner/drivers are allowed the illusion they can actually compete with talented drivers.
Without Gentleman Drivers, there would be no sportscar series of any description.
Joe Taylor is offline  
__________________
Louise: Is the track Slippery when Wet?
DC: I didn't know you were a Bon Jovi fan
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2784512)   #12
kyoung
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
United States
Posts: 399
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
sportscar racing often prides itself for its upper-class demographics
You lost me there, I work for a living and for some reason it does not hinder my appreciation for the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think it should be possible for us to discuss these matters in a civilized and respectful manner...
I have never, and will never treat anyone on this board in a disrespectful manner, that being said guys like Ratel and Ecclestone are crying out to be made fun of. If stinky becomes a member of the board I may have to adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
But anyway:
- There's nothing indicating an appliance of success ballast in the new GT endurance series in either article at Speedweek and planetlemans so I can only comment on that in a wider sense: The big question is: What's the alternative? To me there are two: Tampering with the rules all season long or having boring races. This year they have applied rules-tampering and success-ballast, and I am more than ready to agree that they have been rather heavy-handed at times, especially in the GT1-series during the first half of the season.
Few series can survive on all out competition without any regards to parity anymore since that's too hard to sell to spectators, sponsors and funded drivers. So a transparent system of success-ballast is something I'd definitely prefer over arbitratry technical regulation changes during the season.

- as for driver ratings: I think what they are trying to do in this case is rather smart if they do it right: This time, they'll allow full-pro-lineups. There are plenty of series out there that have a "Gentleman's Trophy" or something like that, so this isn't like the approach taken here is anything radically new.
The important thing to me is, that they have a kind of upwards-compatability in the series, i.e. all teams and drivers in the pro-am-class should be allowed to score points towards the overall "Pro-Cup"-championship, but not the other way around. If they handle it that way, I am all for it. If they want to have truly separate classes it's not all that bright, as it will result in very small numbers of cars per class...
Transparent thorough testing at the beginning of the season and locking the cars in is the way to go, not loading cars with ballast so some incompetent can win. You want to race with talented drivers you take your licks and get better or leave. But as we have discussed before competence is needed to balance the cars or you will have VLN ď99Ē all over again, which of course was corrected the next year to the desired effect, putting Porsche back on top, but thatís another argument/discussion.
kyoung is online now  
Quote
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2784513)   #13
kyoung
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
United States
Posts: 399
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
Without Gentleman Drivers, there would be no sportscar series of any description.
I have no problem with gentlemen drivers, only drivers who think other competitors should be artificially slowed so they can win, that (IMHO) is not racing.
kyoung is online now  
Quote
Old 4 Nov 2010, 01:18 (Ref:2784710)   #14
TF110
Veteran
 
TF110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
United States
Posts: 12,000
TF110 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTF110 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might as well let GT1 become apart of this as well. I don't understand the sprint format with two one hour races. I say a one hour qualifying race and at least a two hour 'sprint' race.
TF110 is offline  
Quote
Old 4 Nov 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2784943)   #15
Lola T70
Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 406
Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My question is "do we really need another series right now?"

Just seems there is only so much pie and everyone wants too much of it.
Lola T70 is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[rF] Endurance Series SP1 NightStalk3r Virtual Racers 14 16 Apr 2010 07:47
best endurance racing series cybersdorf Sportscar & GT Racing 91 20 Feb 2006 04:44
Is there an endurance series for older (1980's) saloons??? GarrettMacD Racers Forum 2 23 Nov 2005 19:26
classic endurance series minimangler Sportscar & GT Racing 7 17 Aug 2004 22:08
[LM24] Le Mans Endurance Series Bruno G. fan 24 Heures du Mans 6 16 Apr 2004 18:40


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.