Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 May 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1911210)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hindy to be Broadcast

with ALMS race coverage on XM Satellite radio. Cool!! http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=3157

L.P.
Old 11 May 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1911303)   #2
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is the ALMS paying XM, or XM paying the ALMS?
Old 12 May 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1911950)   #3
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
Does it matter? I have been hoping this would happen since XM is sponsoring an Acura and Andretti-Green has a weekly show on XMSportsNation. This great news. This will allow ALMS to be exposed to MILLIONS more potential new fans.
Old 15 May 2007, 02:05 (Ref:1913593)   #4
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver
Does it matter?
Of course it does. In the absence of widespread significant financial support, sportscar racing is always more susceptible to changes in funding than you might find elsewhere. Many times we've seen money come in, a structure built around that money, and then the money go away again, leaving devastation in its wake.
Old 15 May 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1913997)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
Details have been coming from the sales side rather than the broadcast side of the series, which would suggest that XM is picking this up on their own, either for free (tradeout) or paying the series. I'd encourage all XM subscribers to tune their radios to the race, whether they're listening or not...

Don't forget, Honda and GM own stakes in XM (and Honda has more controlling interest). Yet another benefit of Honda joining the fray.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 May 2007, 01:03 (Ref:1915039)   #6
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
You can also listen online, you don't have to have a XM tuner or PNP unit at home.

http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp

Now if we could get XM to put Radio Le Mans up during the 24 hour race....

Maybe next year...
Old 17 May 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1915058)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why listen online via XM, when you can do so via www.0157.org though?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 May 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1915120)   #8
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Uhmm if that was the case when why even bother have it on XM? Like I'm going to run out and buy a XM tuner. I have Sirius in the car via JVC Direct Connect from Directed Electronics. These days Im not in the car/truck long enough to listen to a complete race.

I listen to Radio Le Mans bonehead via the net when I'm at home.

You would also show your support of XM by listening on XM.

That is the reason why I posted a link, any moron on this forum knows about Radio Le Mans. It also TIMES OUT from time to time during events, go figure. Its not like they are flushed with money
Old 17 May 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1915194)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But they are jolly nice chaps
Old 17 May 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1915330)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
[mod]Tone it down, Anthony.[/mod]

This is a good deal for ALMS not so much because of the broadcast (although that's part of it, certainly it'll be a good reach for existing racing fans who are XM subscribers, who are currently getting lots of IRL and NASCAR content but nothing else) but because it'll provide XM with the impetus to broadcast the rest of the season and next season as well. Currently the series has a few broadcasts (network) a few cablecasts (I can't characterize Speed as "broad") and the radio webcasts. web =/= broad.

It also provides an opportunity to leverage Honda and XM's involvement to result in further advertising of the series, in print and other media.

Of course all the forum members would already know of the webcast at 0157.org, but your post seemed to suggest that you weren't - since you were suggesting that people listen to the race via XM's website.

BTW, I've not had Radio Le Mans time out since Le Mans '05, you might want to check into your internet connection.

-Bill James
Old 17 May 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1915344)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

BTW, I've not had Radio Le Mans time out since Le Mans '05, you might want to check into your internet connection.
Yep, moi aussi. Last year it was perfect.

Bonehead - what a lovely term of endearment......
Old 18 May 2007, 04:05 (Ref:1915762)   #12
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
those of us who have XM need to, at the very least, tune in to the race even if we don't listen. They are somehow able to monitor the number of subscribers listening to the channels. The more people we can get to listen, the more it may help XM decide to increase their support on the broadcasting side.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1916597)   #13
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
I re-tract the Bonehead comment, it was good natured, you guys are getting older by the min.

I wasn't talking about Le Mans, it worked fine. I was talking about when it covered ALMS races and don't say it never timed out, that's like saying Live Timing and Scoring updated all the time, oh but it doesn't you have to reflash the site sometimes.

XM and Sirius only ping when your under heavy bush or in a tunnel.

I drove trucks for JB Hunt and listen from coast to coast the same channel, that's the advantage of Sat Radio. Sirius has NO COMMERCIALS! on its music channels anyway.

They are merging anyway, and we'll more than likely be able to get the ALMS on Sirius or whatever they end up calling the final company as soon as next year as I'm sure they'll the get the FCC go-ahead around Christmas time.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1916637)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Actually, much of the problems for ALMS Radio Web can be traced to trackside rather than server issues - which means that XM may have the same problem. For instance, with Utah, there's no high speed connection out, so they're phoning it out.

I don't spend very much time in the car, but I sure understand the draw of satellite radio. I hope this becomes a regular occurance, and I'd prefer it if all of the ALMS Radio coverage made it on.

-Bill James
Old 19 May 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1916919)   #15
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
stupid commercials on the XM broadcast. Why the hell am I giving them $$ every month to listen to commercials?