Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 May 2003, 05:20 (Ref:585882)   #1
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Romano

Just a thought,

Last year when Arrows was going down faster than Saddam's reign in qualifying they deliberately did not qualify their cars within 107% of the fastest qualifier.

Given what has been written on this, and other, forums regarding Pauls lack of money/sponsorship/relationship with his father/want to sell the franchise and also the leasing of the franchise for a later race, does anyone beleive that we may see a situation where Romano deliberately does not qualify for a race?

We may never know whether it was deliberate or not as long as he out qualifies Thexton (unless Thexton has come to grips with the car)

Cheers
MattV
Old 1 May 2003, 06:47 (Ref:585911)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its entirely possible, just run the car in the last as-raced spec, and go cruising... Romano isnt that far off the back anyway, so he could be a bit ginger coming onto the straights and DNQ. The problem is I guess the money he would have spent on the diesel getting the truck to the track...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 May 2003, 08:07 (Ref:585951)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a decent hill in the Pacific Highway just over the NSW border, you can roll the truck all the way down the hill from there
Old 1 May 2003, 11:38 (Ref:586107)   #4
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the Romano team will try and save money by not doing what Arrows did and not racing but they may do the opposite and actually start racing.

Lets face it Paul has not raced a car for a few years now!
What he has done is drive around looking for things to hit.
Old 1 May 2003, 11:59 (Ref:586141)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You might be right there Morris1100, but he has an obligation to rock up at 80% of rounds, which by my reckoning means he can miss but 2 events... well he is likely to not be at Indy and NZ anyways....
Old 1 May 2003, 12:22 (Ref:586162)   #6
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an educated scholar of the sport GTr you would have to agree tat turning up to run last is not in his or the sports best interest. Maybe TEGA needs to look at the no of cars and make the sponsorship spread a little narrower and the payment to the fortunate licence holders a little larger. At 70k per round as the suggested figure it is little wonder we have the smaller teams dropping of the back. Then what do we the paying public have to look forward to 16 teams run by Holden 16 run by Ford where is the attraction to the punter in that. But I suppose the bigger the prize the more the able are willing to pay.
Old 1 May 2003, 12:38 (Ref:586176)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What does the $70k per round represent Gspot?

The franchise income is nowhere near that per car, as a 2 car team it is close but might be a little inflated. And it presumes the car runs in the top 25 in the series

If you take HRT's rumoured $6m operating budget, over 13 rounds thats $462k per round!!!

Maybe I am missing something but if Romano rented the franchise from McDougall as AA seemed to suggest (altho they are not always right) they would have had to have forked over $250k in lease costs.... without turning a wheel in the car... if they dont show to the rounds, and dont finish in the top 25 in the series, then the team will get not much in income, even less than $100k is possible if he finishes last....
Old 1 May 2003, 12:44 (Ref:586184)   #8
TheGspot
Racer

My point exactly, why turn up at all if as suggested you where turning up to avoid the fines and not qualify under the 107% limit. The whole thing is to complicated for a megre salesman like me.
Old 1 May 2003, 22:29 (Ref:586818)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And compounding the fun is the family feud between Romano Sr and Romano Jr....
Old 1 May 2003, 23:22 (Ref:586850)   #10
TheGspot
Racer

How did this fued start, I know a romano car was at JS engines for sale for a period, or at least I think it was theirs.
Old 1 May 2003, 23:32 (Ref:586855)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The fued seems to be that Paul doesnt want to go motor racing unless there is a proper budget and team involved, yet Bap seems to thing all is well. Its one of the reasons, it can get a bit more fruity if you believe the funnier answers

There would have been several cars at JSR for sale, and could include the Abelnica/Jane GMS VT, the Mezera VT, Van Zelm's VT as well as a Romano car.... all these units, as well as LRT use/used JSR Chevs
Old 1 May 2003, 23:56 (Ref:586864)   #12
TheGspot
Racer

GTR R U off to EC. Tell 05 to keep up the good work if you see him. He is going to PCR on Saturday Night why dont you venture over.
Old 2 May 2003, 00:07 (Ref:586874)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I wanted to be at EC today, but cant get away. Is the car thats for sale in MN entered at PCR??
Old 2 May 2003, 00:37 (Ref:586880)   #14
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
The fued seems to be that Paul doesnt want to go motor racing unless there is a proper budget and team involved, yet Bap seems to thing all is well. Its one of the reasons, it can get a bit more fruity if you believe the funnier answers

Maybe I should talk to Bap .... He was impressed with my driving when I beat Paul in HQs at Amaroo!
Old 2 May 2003, 00:40 (Ref:586885)   #15
TheGspot
Racer

Could be I think, would like to catch up with you there.