Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Nov 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2069768)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Homestead thread - final race...

Ron Hornaday just snatched the Truck title from Mike Skinner....

1. Ron Hornaday - 3982
2. Mike Skinner - 3928
3. Johnny Benson - 3557
4. Todd Bodine - 3525
5. Rick Crawford - 3523
6. Travis Kvapil - 3511
7. Ted Musgrave - 3183
8. Matt Crafton - 3060
9. Jack Sprague - 3001
10. David Starr - 2921

Jimmie Johnson has pole for the cup race from Ryan Newman - Jeff Gordon will start from p11...

Busch series is about to start - go Marcos
Old 17 Nov 2007, 21:22 (Ref:2069786)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone else trying to watch the Busch race?
Is the stream on nascar.com working for you, or just showing a standby image?
Old 18 Nov 2007, 00:26 (Ref:2069873)   #3
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
Ron Hornaday just snatched the Truck title from Mike Skinner....
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:30 (Ref:2069902)   #4
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Championship race for the trucks was pretty exciting. Wonder what would have happened if the whells hadn't come off.

Watching the Busch race tonight I was thinking.......darn, that Mark Martin can still drive a car.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2069985)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi Raikkonen went from third in the Formula 1 drivers' standings to first in the final round to clinch the World Championship. The season-long battle between Dario Franchitti was not settled until the final turn of the IndyCar season. Ron Hornaday leapfrogged past Mike Skinner for the Craftsman Truck Series title on Friday night. Something tells me that the Nextel Cup championship will provide its own share of great drama.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 10:29 (Ref:2070039)   #6
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Watching the Busch race tonight I was thinking.......darn, that Mark Martin can still drive a car.
And Hornish was running very well in that race I thought, until he got taken out. Pretty big turnaround in that car between races. But that Richard Childress Chevrolet of Burton's was all alone out front. One interview after the race was, "yeah, we had a little bit more but wanted to play it conservatively." That was impressive and as dialed-in as I've seen one of those cars yet, having only seen a few races mind you. Still, pretty cool.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 15:15 (Ref:2070212)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question, Burton and team had it all together in the Busch race. It was sad to see that it was the last race that will be in the "Busch Series". Somehow Nationwide doesn't sound right. Time cures many ills though and we will probably get used to Nationwide.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2070275)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
Kimi Raikkonen went from third in the Formula 1 drivers' standings to first in the final round to clinch the World Championship. The season-long battle between Dario Franchitti was not settled until the final turn of the IndyCar season. Ron Hornaday leapfrogged past Mike Skinner for the Craftsman Truck Series title on Friday night. Something tells me that the Nextel Cup championship will provide its own share of great drama.
For the love of god I hope so! Go Jeff!
Old 18 Nov 2007, 17:42 (Ref:2070285)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Four times in the first 35 races (11.1 percent of the time) Gordon has outscored Johnson by at least 86 points in a race.

It ain't over till it's over.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 18:06 (Ref:2070300)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Anyone else trying to watch the Busch race?
Is the stream on nascar.com working for you, or just showing a standby image?
I had moving images but also a lot of buffering problems.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 21:38 (Ref:2070427)   #11
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

JPM having good luck? Could it be? A timely caution puts about half the lead lap cars a lap down. JPM, who moved from 32nd to the mid-teens on merit, is now running 5th.

Notably, both JG and JJ got caught a lap down, although they stayed out when the leaders pitted and are now on the tail end of the lead lap. Had JG stayed out it could have been a huge break for him.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 18 Nov 2007, 23:36 (Ref:2070461)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not that that lasted long, Burton and Jr. brought the caution out immediately!

Smooth running for Jimmie thus far. Only cruel luck can stop him now.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 00:16 (Ref:2070480)   #13
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Good race for JPM even if he faded a bit towards the last 3rd of the race,

Congrats to Kenseth for the win.

Congrats to Gordon for an awesome season. If I understand correctly he had 30 top 10 finishes.

And lastly, Congrats to Johnson for winning the Championship under the Chase format and for coming in 2nd to Gordon under the Classic and true system.

I think it is going to be a long year for Hornish next year.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 01:00 (Ref:2070502)   #14
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The area where JPM's team needs to improve the most is in making their car better over the course of a race. In several races, including the last two (at Phoenix JPM quickly moved up to 8th on the first run) and Texas, JPM is fast on the first run or the first few runs but winds up being a 15th place car. Of course, much of this improvement will come naturally as he logs more time with his crew chief. Compare Jeff Gordon's second season with his current crew chief with his first season with him, for instance.

I agree. Hornish will have a year similar to Allmendinger imo. The problem is that Hornish is struggling mightily in chase-caliber equipment.

Old 19 Nov 2007, 22:22 (Ref:2071234)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hornish looks not too promising to me either. The thing is, JV is qualifying in a BDR car with no troubles, Carpentier has at least stayed out of trouble and JPM has looked promising in a CGR car. It took Hornish an age to qualify a Penske and he hasn't exactly looked great when he has raced. I bet Kurt Busch is delighted to be handing his guaranteed starting slot to Sam!

Congrats to Johnson and Knaus anyways. A great year by all accounts and especially in the chase section But how can a man who sets a record for top 10's lose out on the title? Madness.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 01:54 (Ref:2071371)   #16
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Hornish looks not too promising to me either. The thing is, JV is qualifying in a BDR car with no troubles, Carpentier has at least stayed out of trouble and JPM has looked promising in a CGR car. It took Hornish an age to qualify a Penske and he hasn't exactly looked great when he has raced. I bet Kurt Busch is delighted to be handing his guaranteed starting slot to Sam!

Congrats to Johnson and Knaus anyways. A great year by all accounts and especially in the chase section But how can a man who sets a record for top 10's lose out on the title? Madness.
I think that it will take time for Hornish to get good in a cup car, but he can do it. Kurt Busch doesn't really care about handing his guaranteed starting spot to Sam, because in the unlikely event that he can't qualify, he can use his champions provisional. I think that we may see some changes in the chase, because of the huge lead that Gordon had going into the chase, and then losing the chase.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:35 (Ref:2071403)   #17
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
I agree, knowlesy. If JV and Carpentier are having no problem making races in mediocre equipment (Evernham was not good this year) it is not a good sign that it took Hornish 6 races to qualify for a race in Chase-level equipment. Moreover, at Phoenix they were basically as fast as him in inferior machinery. I think we will not have a good idea as to how JV, Carpentier, and Hornish will do in NASCAR until May or June of next year but the early signs are not good for Hornish.

Old 22 Nov 2007, 02:02 (Ref:2073100)   #18
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well it was looking good there for a bit, JPM wise. I was heckling the Jr fans around me who had booed Pablo at driver introductions. Thankfully, long before JPM started to fall back, Dale had hit EVERYTHING in sight and was about 23 laps down! What the hell was he doing? It reminded me of his day at the Daytona 500 in 02... has he learned nothing in 5 and a half years?!! Very funny to watch though.

Sad to see JJ win again. I'm no JG fan but I do respect him and would have preferred to see him win. I left the venue feeling somewhat cheated... I came hoping to see a real battle for the title but it all just kinda petered out in four hours of nothingness. Still, it was a good year. Daytona soon...
Old 22 Nov 2007, 08:22 (Ref:2073206)   #19
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
For some reason most of the time JPM has a strong car early in the race it gradually gets worse as the race progresses. Martinsville was an exception. Think Homestead, Texas, and Phoenix (he quickly marched to 8th at Phoenix before slipping back gradually to eventually finish 17th). On the plus side, when the car is lousy at the beginning of the race the team is at a point where they can get it at least to the top 20 by the end of the race. I think much of this will naturally correct itself as JPM enters his second season with his crew chief.

Junior had a lousy day. It was a fitting end, in many ways, to this season.

The Chase has become less competitive each year by Homestead, for whatever reason. Remember the first one? Three drivers with 21 points, Jr. was 4th entering Homestead 72 points back, and Martin was about 80 points out. In 05' the margin heading into the final race was 50+, in 06' it was 60+, and this year 86 points. I think the best thing NASCAR could do to close the gap would be to have the Chasers operate under their own points system. For instance, instead of being destroyed with a 40th place finish that would be considered a 12th place finish among the 12 drivers. This would place less emphasis on luck and allow drivers to remain in the battle despite some bad luck,

Old 22 Nov 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2073612)   #20
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Well it was looking good there for a bit, JPM wise. I was heckling the Jr fans around me who had booed Pablo at driver introductions. Thankfully, long before JPM started to fall back, Dale had hit EVERYTHING in sight and was about 23 laps down! What the hell was he doing? It reminded me of his day at the Daytona 500 in 02... has he learned nothing in 5 and a half years?!! Very funny to watch though.

Sad to see JJ win again. I'm no JG fan but I do respect him and would have preferred to see him win. I left the venue feeling somewhat cheated... I came hoping to see a real battle for the title but it all just kinda petered out in four hours of nothingness. Still, it was a good year. Daytona soon...
Your dinner today will probably be much better than the race was at Homestead. Don't forget to watch Green Bay vs Detroit.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2074373)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Junior was a little unlucky. The pit road is very tricky at Homestead and he just got caught out on that. And then on the restart he got hit by Jeff Burton, which was kind of 50/50 really. A day that summed up his season in many ways.

It's gonna be a long off season. I thoroughly enjoyed this season and can't wait for the Bud Shootout in February.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 11:14 (Ref:2074603)   #22
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny that despite there being a NASCAR race of some description every week for the last 40-odd weeks, now the season's over I really can't wait for Daytona to roll around. Hopefully next year though I will have TV coverage rather than using a timing screen and forums to follow the races!
Old 24 Nov 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2074688)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Unlucky? Nah. Just crap. Every time you saw him he was backing it into the wall, spinning, tipping someone else into the wall, coming down pitlane cos he'd brushed the wall and needed more new tyres or just getting bored and spinning again. It was quite something to see!
Old 24 Nov 2007, 17:06 (Ref:2074748)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

To be honest, if he was crap, I'm not surprised. There was an interview with him after the race and he did not appear in the state of mind to even be driving anyways. Saying he couldn't wait to leave DEI and not to have to deal with "jerks" anymore and all that.

Next year will be the making of Jr, it will be far better. 2007 has been a terrible nightmare.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2074859)   #25
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
To be honest, if he was crap, I'm not surprised. There was an interview with him after the race and he did not appear in the state of mind to even be driving anyways. Saying he couldn't wait to leave DEI and not to have to deal with "jerks" anymore and all that.

Next year will be the making of Jr, it will be far better. 2007 has been a terrible nightmare.
IMO Jr wil finish in the top 5 next year.