Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2837873)   #1
jachin
Rookie

United Kingdom
England, UK
jachin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice / Help for new karting driver.

Hi,

Just looking for some help or advice. I am 23 years old and just competed in a recent karting competition, to win a scholarship for a year, of several rounds both racing and fitness. Out of a few hundred people I got to the last 8 but unfortunately wasn't successful.

Does anyone know of any scholarships or anything that I can look at getting into to have the chance at racing professionally? I understand drivers start alot younger than me and build up a profile of their achievements and start getting recognised at an early age. But unfortunately I don’t have this but looking to do this but just don't know where to start.

Any advice or tips on where to start?

Thanks

Jake
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2837998)   #2
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the famous Formula Renault scholarship? Enter for £99 pounds?

Dont waste your time on it, scholarsips are normally won bey exceptional tallented drivers.

Buy a single seater and enter club racing, example Barc, Monoposto, F4. Its cheaper than spending 150k plus on a national championship with kids who have an open cheque book courtesy of rich parents or sponsors.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2838633)   #3
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even try something like Foumula vee - it's run by the 750 motor club - big grids and fairly cheap!
Old 2 Mar 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2838782)   #4
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was about to start in 08, I looked at Vees, I imagined these agricultural cars would be cheap, but no. They were going between 5-8k for the cars. I almost bought one for 5k, but last minute I came across for Formula Vauxhall Junior 16v which I payed 4k for with a few spares and entered into Monoposto. Its one of the cheapest ways to go racing in a proper racing car be it a car with slicks and wings or no wings.. People can enter any kind of car, even one they built in their garden shed.