Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Apr 2003, 03:06 (Ref:555489)   #26
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure too many readers would be interested in looking at it!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 06:14 (Ref:555551)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is that a way to increase circulation with the female side of the sport????
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Apr 2003, 10:27 (Ref:555704)   #28
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't get the position but they have told me that they will be in contact with me again regarding future employment, ie motorsport photographer and some desktop publishing. I live in Melbourne so I'm not sure who to believe. Just have to wait and see.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 02:14 (Ref:556714)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am interested in the general thoughts on Auto Action. I have made my feelings well known (and been beaten over the head for them) so I figured the thoughts of other categories may be interesting. Attached is a procar thread:

http://www.procar.com.au/forum/topic...GT+Performance
Old 3 Apr 2003, 04:30 (Ref:556774)   #30
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR I think your views on the PROCAR site were truthful and you have no objection from me. MS gives PROCAR some page space not like AA. It was a shame that the PROCAR mag didn't take off. By the way I go by the name of SP20 in the PROCAR forum.

Regards
Dave
Old 3 Apr 2003, 05:01 (Ref:556780)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I sort of figured some connection AussieV8

The PROCAR operation is a phenomenal marketer, any new entrant or prospective entrant to that series would be impressed by the professionalism of the people who manage that category with the information they provide to help achieve commercial sponsorship.

Like anything though, if one of the 2 mainstream media outlets decide not to cover PROCAR to any degree, there isnt a lot to be done, unless RP wants to splash a serious ad budget their way.

AA has also reduced to almost nothing the coverage of CART & IRL for reasons not wholly explained.

Sad when it comes down to it
Old 3 Apr 2003, 05:20 (Ref:556785)   #32
White Knight

Just looked at the latest AA and thought the balance basically reflected the spectator rollup to the respective classes. I seriously doubt that 210-odd thousand would have rocked up to the Clipsal event if the V8s weren't running.

I know for a fact that if you put a Holden or a Ford on the cover of any motoring magazine then your sales figures go up.

There are 7 pages dedicated to V8 Supercars, 6 pages to open wheelers, 8 pages to bikes, one to karts, 5 to rallying, one to karts and Nations Cup and several articles to other categories.

Noticed too that the feedback (ie letters) pertained mainly to V8s or related. Falls back to the old adage, "its easy to critice" then contribute nothing.

Old 3 Apr 2003, 05:31 (Ref:556788)   #33
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As my sister gave me a 24 month subsciption for AA on my 40th in Feb so I'm stuck with it. I still buy MS fortnightly and find that you get more info on a variety of motorsport here and OS. I'll never forget the cover of AA NO 1016 Nov 20-26 2002 with the Monaro on the front and the heading Bathurst 24-hour Fizzer or sizzler now is that supporting local racing I think not.

Last edited by AussieV8; 3 Apr 2003 at 05:32.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:07 (Ref:556802)   #34
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by White Knight
Just looked at the latest AA and thought the balance basically reflected the spectator rollup to the respective classes. I seriously doubt that 210-odd thousand would have rocked up to the Clipsal event if the V8s weren't running.

I know for a fact that if you put a Holden or a Ford on the cover of any motoring magazine then your sales figures go up.

There are 7 pages dedicated to V8 Supercars, 6 pages to open wheelers, 8 pages to bikes, one to karts, 5 to rallying, one to karts and Nations Cup and several articles to other categories.

Noticed too that the feedback (ie letters) pertained mainly to V8s or related. Falls back to the old adage, "its easy to critice" then contribute nothing.
Going by that then they can't be trying to appeal to motorsport followers, they are going after V8Supercar only fans. I would think most motorsport fans would buy it whatever they had on the cover, just as long as they give all categories a fair go, which they are definatly not doing at the moment.

Letters - AA pick what letters they put in the letters page, not every one written gets in, it's a false reading.

Aussie - I agree, i was honestly suprised (but pleased) it made the cover, but the headline was a shocker.

Last edited by racer69; 3 Apr 2003 at 06:07.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:11 (Ref:556805)   #35
ICS Freeload
Rookie

ICS Freeload should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno about this one guys. Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking to me. Where would we be without Flatchat and all the weekly news.

I reckon someone at Motorsport news started this one!!!
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:25 (Ref:556818)   #36
White Knight

racer69 posted
Quote:
Letters - AA pick what letters they put in the letters page

And you know this as fact?

Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:35 (Ref:556823)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know i've sent letters in, some to do with V8s and others not to do with them, and they never made it into the magazine.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:40 (Ref:556826)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I actually got a letter of the week win once, talking about why we dont try and put more Aussie-made bits in the supercars... took 4 months to get the prize!!

They didnt mind letting a certain Supercar team owner have a few columns to berate some letter writer far worse than the abuse sometimes shared in here not long ago
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:00 (Ref:556850)   #39
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
My claim to fame is letter of the week in the 1000th issue about....suprise suprise why they weren't making mention of that category in any of their issues (as they had done previously). I've never heard anything from them about the prize though.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:09 (Ref:556863)   #40
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Car News survived for a long time without putting Holdens and Fords or even of sedans on every cover. If you have to put a V8 Supercar on the cover of the magazine maybe the content of the magazine is good enough to attract customers.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:23 (Ref:556877)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I hounded them for the prize for the whole time... a Valvoline hat and 2 5l bottles of XLD motor oil... something for nothing is always good, especially when email is free
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:28 (Ref:556887)   #42
pete55
Veteran

I should have said the content isn't good enough to sell the magazine.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:22 (Ref:556975)   #43
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to profess an opinion on Auto Action, but I haven't bought one since that 1000th issue, and that was a one-off purchase. I haven't bought AA on a regular basis since, 2001 maybe?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:16 (Ref:557069)   #44
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got to agree with what White Knight had to say a ways back there. I do a bit of work in retail motorsport merchandise, and some things sell, other things don't. AA has done their research in the past, and they know what sells when you put something on the cover.

Bathurst 24hr- Fizzer or Sizzler? IIRC, the report on the inside front page was definately sizzler. What headline should they have put? Monaro ****es it in by 20 laps?

BTW- what Procar related news from the last should have made it? Brock in the Monaro made p5, but what else has happened? I think the truth is that very little has happened that would interest all that many people...
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:44 (Ref:557113)   #45
pete55
Veteran

What about Harvey and Youngs crash at Adelaide? Hardly any report of note on the Brutes and the F3 report was held over for a week.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:51 (Ref:557119)   #46
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what did MN and the Procar site have to say about it all?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:40 (Ref:557787)   #47
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auto Friction is a more appropriate name. Some of the antics have caused some of the people named in their rag to have embarassing conversations with sponsors that should not have happened.

A waste of paper & ink
Old 4 Apr 2003, 14:55 (Ref:558412)   #48
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
A picture of a V8Supercar on the cover may sell more copies, but then again how many casual observers can tell the difference (appearance wise) between the Commodore touring car and the Monaro Nations Cup car.

The latest issue proved that they will do anything to put a V8 on the cover. 'Bathurst co-drivers dilemma', fair enough that it seems like an important story, but is it really a huge question at this very time, and the whole story just seemed like a filler. They made co-driver predictions, but half the drivers where TBA's

Wouldn't Brock's possible/probable return to full-time racing have been front page news?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 07:40 (Ref:561152)   #49
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The codriver thing was a joke, like the rest of their paper. Its disappointing that the stories make sense to run, but its got no more factual information than a list someone could do in here
Old 7 Apr 2003, 12:19 (Ref:561493)   #50
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by True Believer
Some of the antics have caused some of the people named in their rag to have embarassing conversations with sponsors that should not have happened.
LOL.... the same thing could be said about a few people around here