Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2004, 17:56 (Ref:888330)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Justin Keen signs for Honda

Quote:
New Forest motor racer Justin Keen has clinched the "chance of a lifetime" drive for Honda in the British Touring Car Championship.

Keen has signed up to drive a works Honda Civic Type R in the 2004 BTCC after fears he had missed out on one of the most sought-after seats in British motorsport.

The ex-European Formula 3000 star from Beaulieu has been negotiating with Honda all through the winter, but just days before closing the deal there was a financial setback which put the whole thing in jeopardy.

Keen explained: "My agent Chris Braun has done some serious negotating over the last two days to keep the drive open for me and I'm delighted to say the seat is mine after all and that I will be testing Honda's new car in Spain next month."

The Honda Civic was front-runner in the hands of drivers like Matt Neal last season and according to Keen the new cars which he and teammate Tom Chilton will drive in 2004 look like being even better. "They have developed the car around everything they learned in 2003," says Keen.

It's Keen's ability as a driver which has earned him his first ever chance to drive in Britain's most popular championship after Formula One.

After coming out of the Silverstone racing school as the star pupil as a teenager, Keen, now 28, cut his racing teeth in Formula Ford and Formula Palmer Audi in which he finished runner-up in 2001.

A year later he moved up into the European Formula 3000 Championship, just a rung below Formula One, and posted top ten finishes for the Minardi junior team.

Last year he demonstrated his versatility by switching to sportscar racing and achieving a string of high places for Lola Cars in the prestigious FIA Sportscar series.

His most eye-catching performances were a fourth place in the Spa 1000km Championship and fifth in the Le Mans 1000km event - a performance which had the big teams like Honda sitting up and taking serious notice.

His big dream was to graduate to Formula One, but he admitted: "The budget for racing single-seater cars at a high level is way beyond me.

"Because of that a progression into touring cars is the best way for me to go right now. Although I've never raced in the BTCC before, I'm confident I can go in, learn quickly and be a front runner in 2004.

"I'll be getting a good feel for the car in testing but right now I'm just so relieved I've got the drive. It was nice to know that they wanted me for my ability and not my money, but when it all went pear-shaped late last week, I thought: `here we go again, another good drive has passed me by'.

"This is the best chance I have had of establishing myself in British motorsport."
Source: http://www.thisishampshire.net/hamps...TORSPORT3.html
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:00 (Ref:888331)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm, i dont really remember him in F3000
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:08 (Ref:888342)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.formulaone.free-online.co...drivers/jkeen/

He didn't really set the world alight so you probably wouldn't!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:10 (Ref:888346)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
who ???
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:15 (Ref:888352)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

I apologise for only focusing on "ex European F3000 star"
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:17 (Ref:888354)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Precisely, Russfeld! His PR person seems to have been blinded by the light emitting from his arse!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 18:54 (Ref:888385)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's a solid driver though - and if he gets used to front wheel drive will do well in touring cars.

His F3000 deals have never been well funded and that often determines how fast you can get the thing to go.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:16 (Ref:888412)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Oh no question, he was actually quite good in the old pro-FPA series, I just found it amusing the spin they put on his very limited F3000 appearances
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:36 (Ref:888438)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The name is rings a bell, but don't that much about him.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:38 (Ref:888443)   #10
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who will get the 3rd seat? They said Morrison was to be confirmed in 7-10 days (last Thursday). Any news?
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:39 (Ref:888447)   #11
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Precisely, Russfeld! His PR person seems to have been blinded by the light emitting from his arse!
Here we go again. Ruling a driver out when he hasn't even driven the car yet I wish people would keep their mouths shut and opinions to them selves until the driver has started racing
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:43 (Ref:888453)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Who's ruling out a driver? I may well be ruling out the grip on reality of their PR person though...
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:47 (Ref:888458)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it that he will driving for Arena, rather the TD
Old 28 Feb 2004, 19:56 (Ref:888466)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 21:49 (Ref:888538)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can hardly contain my excitement.....
Old 28 Feb 2004, 22:00 (Ref:888552)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Whats the entry list up to then for "Class A" cars
Old 28 Feb 2004, 22:02 (Ref:888556)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
About six so far isn't it...? How inspiring...?!
Old 28 Feb 2004, 22:26 (Ref:888578)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

6? I thought they were going to be at least that many Vauxhalls and Hondas, plus the two Protons looking very pretty on the back of the grid, just behind those weird Spanish cars.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 23:48 (Ref:888663)   #19
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for a moment I thought it was Justin Wilson when they started talking about F1 - "had missed out on one of the most sought-after seats in British motorsport."

Anyway...I'll agree with many of you my first impression was `who`? But he looks as tho hes good having been in F3000 and done some sportscar racing. It will be interesting to see how he goes upagainst the likes of Yvan, Thompson and Neal.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 02:01 (Ref:888757)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Justin Keen signs for Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
His big dream was to graduate to Formula One, but he admitted: "The budget for racing single-seater cars at a high level is way beyond me.
This is always a highly controversal question, but does Keen have to bring money to get this Honda seat? Is Honda requiring drivers to bring money?
Old 29 Feb 2004, 11:10 (Ref:889017)   #21
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this is a surprise! Didn't hear his name being bandied about in the silly season (apart from the CART one).
Old 29 Feb 2004, 11:55 (Ref:889037)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've heard his name mentioned before re the Honda seat.

Not a driver I know off so can't comment on him.

PS - craig is being a little conservative in his entries everyone..i make it twice that at least and thats just the works/semi-works.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 11:59 (Ref:889039)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yes, TL is correct, my apologies to any Americans that are reading this - it's called irony.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 12:22 (Ref:889056)   #24
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised that so many people who apparently follow motorsport haven't heard of/don't know much about Justin. He was a title contender in National FFord Zetecs in the mid-Nineties (works Swift and Van Diemen teams) and has raced in high profile championships since (FRenault, FPA, F3000, FIA Sportscars). He is quick but, best of all, has been known to lose his temper with other drivers ...

I think there'll be close to 20 BTCC spec cars on the grid.
3 factory Vauxhalls/2 GA Vauxhalls/3 Arena Hondas/2 Dynamics Hondas/2 WSR (factory) MGs/1 Kartworld MG/2 Protons/1 Synchro Honda.

In limbo, you've got Collard's Astra (if he hasn't got a drive elsewhere), VLR's two Peugeots and maybe even a third WSR MG.

ETC spec, you've got 2 factory SEATs/1 GA Alfa Romeo (Breeze)/2 (supposedly) Varta Hondas.

I also think it would be foolish to rule out an Edenbridge BMW (Peter Briggs is a true racer and I'm sure will work very hard to make it happen) plus the RJN Nissan Primera.

Unfortunately, with the way the sport is at present (in every category), many deals don't get cut until the 11th hour. It's been the same for some years now. Some people will cut crazy deals because they have to race out of pride and passion even if that means only just breaking even or possibly at a small loss.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 15:06 (Ref:889196)   #25
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon a few extra entries will appear, come Media Day, that everyone was doubting. Like the MGs last year, which weren't confirmed until quite late!