Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1301517)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richards Back to BAR?

Don't know this publication so can't vouch for it's integrity. Can anyone comment?

Ted

Quote:
Sunday 15 May 2005 10:53am
RICHARDS BACK ON THE BUTTON
New BAR move to keep Jenson
by Scott Piecha And Paul Myles

DAVE RICHARDS is set for a sensational return to Formula One racing as BAR throw everything into keeping Jenson Button in the team.

The former BAR team principal is set to take up the reins again after the turmoil of being branded cheats by the sport's ruling body, the FIA, over their cars' 'secret' fuel tanks.

Richards has spent the past week deep in negotiations with the Honda-backed team and most insiders expect him to be confirmed as the team principal at next week's Monaco round.

BAR will serve the second race ban at the premier Monte Carlo event but, while their cars and mechanics will stay away, the team will have a strong hospitality presence - perfect for the high-profile announcement.

The move is also seen as a last-ditch attempt to get Button back on track to score the championship points - 75 per cent of the series leader's tally by the end of July - to prevent the young Briton defecting to Williams next season. And some sources close to the team admit to breathing a sigh of relief that a top operator like Richards is back at the helm to steady the BAR ship after their disastrous start to the season.

One told Revved Up: "This is fantastic news for the team and a sure sign they are sparing no effort to make BAR the most professional team on the grid.

"With Richards' wealth of experience we can look forward to a calming influence that will get the results we need to keep Button in the team."

BAR's season slumped into near- chaos when the FIA turned over the findings of its own stewards at San Marino, where Button scored a podium finish. A court of appeal found BAR had been guilty of illegally using fuel as ballast and that the 'dry' weight of Button's car was more than five kilograms below the 600kg limit.

Button and team-mate Takuma Sato, who finished fifth, were stripped of the San Marino result and the team banned from the next two races.

The European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring is the first race at which Richards is expected to take charge of BAR.
Old 15 May 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1301528)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even news sites are referring to the "illegal secret fuel tank" which is ridiculous . The tank is legal, having a dry weight below 600kg (and thus using fuel as (moveable) ballast) is illegal, and that's what they were banned for.

But anyway.

It would be a surprise to see Richards returning so soon, epsecially as they only recently brought Gil de Ferran into the management. The whole thing falls down if you believe the notin that Jenson adn David didn't get on by the end of their time together - if anythign they may be plannign for a Jenson-less future already.
Old 15 May 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1301534)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should never have got rid of the guy in the first place.
Old 15 May 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1301542)   #4
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Richards want to do it?

After all, winning with Aston Martin (and beating Ferrari, Maserati, Chev etc) has to be better than finishing behind them.
Old 15 May 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1301546)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Sorry I should know this, but I don't..Could someone please explain who Dave Richards is, and if this is indeed the case that he is coming back to BAR what will happen to Gil de Ferran? Thank you again!
Old 15 May 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1301585)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is a summary of him up to when he became involved in BAR: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-ricdav.html

As for going back to BAR, I doubt it. The story above doesn't seem that credible. He is very busy doing numerous other projects and is in no need of the work.
Old 15 May 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1301588)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact is the last season or so was spent with ProDrive putting the tools in place so the team could run itself without the need for PD or Dave Richards to be in charge. Prodrive were paid to turn the team around and get it standing on its own two feet, they did that, cashed the cheques and moved on. Yes, Richards was dumped rather quickly but he was never due to stay there forever anyway.

People seem to talk up David Richards, but surely the fault of BAR's lack of form falls more at the feet of the people who designed the 007 more than anyone else.
Old 15 May 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1301610)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll believe it when I see it. The team essentially brought Prodrive and Richards in on a 'troiuble-shooting' basis, and the official line is that he left a year early ebcause he'd finsihed the job a year early (although some (JV fans mainly - the guys who call him 'Prix Richards' on other inferior forums) paint a different picture). The 007 car is actually pretty fast, it;'s jsut been unreliable and there have been some organisational blunders, which perhaps Dave would'be prevented.
Old 15 May 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1301622)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you Adam
Old 15 May 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1301648)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And lets not forget that Nick Fry, is a Prodrive man.

Richards was not "sacked".
Old 16 May 2005, 12:38 (Ref:1302166)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Richards is doing a bit better for himself than BAR right now, so I doubt he'd want to return. It was a sinking ship when he joined, and it's a sinking ship again the second he leaves.
Old 16 May 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1302268)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
surely DR had something to do with the development of the 007 and his knowledge of F1 and the FIA probably ment that if he met with honda, their lawyers probably just wanted to talk to him about anything in connection to the fuel tank, etc.. i also seem to remember that his contract was bought out and that he, at least publicaly, didn't have any negative comments about the team when he left so i dont think he got canned. he got paid and moved on. any ways cant seem to find this article anywhere but the site you linked it too as i would like to know what they were talking about.
Old 16 May 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1302274)   #13
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I find it humorous and ironic that this story comes out right on the heels of the French Canadian press reporting that JV and Gil de Ferran also met recently. Perhaps they are having a reunion party.
Old 16 May 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1302276)   #14
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont believe it. The media needs a scapegoat for BARs lack of success this year, and thats Nick Fry.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1302389)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Dave Richards clearly isn't responsible for any lack of pace the car has, and it seems to be inferior to at least 2 other Michelin teams, but I'm not convinced the weight issue or the deliberate retirements would've been things he'd've stood for.
Old 16 May 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1302536)   #16
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If I missed any, I apologize, but did Gil have anything to say about the under-weight debacle?
I can't see DR coming back other than to rub somebody's nose in it.
Old 16 May 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1302558)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gil said nothing in public.

It was his first race - probably knew nothing about it
Old 16 May 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1302561)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt
Would Richards want to do it?

After all, winning with Aston Martin (and beating Ferrari, Maserati, Chev etc) has to be better than finishing behind them.
Perhaps, but Mr Richards couyd name his price now surely
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 May 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1302645)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
And lets not forget that Nick Fry, is a Prodrive man.

Richards was not "sacked".
As far as I'm aware Nick Fry was a Prodrive man - left to run some F1 team.
Old 17 May 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1302673)   #20
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like the article is unsubstansiated nonsense, but were they to do it they had better look for Disney sponsorship as the team would look even more mickey mouse than it already does.
Old 17 May 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1302690)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Has anyone seen Gil de Ferran? I just wonder what he thinks of all this blinking nonsense?
Old 17 May 2005, 05:22 (Ref:1302731)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Gil has said nothing in public.

It was his first race - probably knew nothing about it.