Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Dec 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2809670)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport Show

Many people going this year? I have found the show to become a bit dull and boring over the years and gearing more towards the boy racer market with huge displays of Max Power style.

The cost is another factor I payed somthing like 80 quid last year, including petrol, parking and show tickets.

I can say that this year I will be staying home.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2809677)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not when it costs as much as it does!! Is for me the most expensive race meeting of the year I would go to, so what do you think!

If you were ALLOWED to just buy a ticket for the show instead of being forced to pay the fee of whoever is poncing about on the stage then I would go. But you HAVE to watch the show thing, what a rip off!!

But 30 quid, 8 quid to park and petrol! Dearer than anything for me but MotoGP and F1 which I wouldnt go to anyway!

So stuff the rip off merchants, when the bike show was 15 quid! You are having a laugh
Old 31 Dec 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2809680)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go, but mainly for the Watkins Lecture which this year is hosted by Martin Brundle, who will be interviewing the Red Bull people - Adrian Newey etc.
I find the Classic Show @ Stoneleigh much better, but then I'm probably biased as I'm on a stand there.
Old 3 Jan 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2810425)   #4
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
I go, but mainly for the Watkins Lecture which this year is hosted by Martin Brundle, who will be interviewing the Red Bull people - Adrian Newey etc.
I find the Classic Show @ Stoneleigh much better, but then I'm probably biased as I'm on a stand there.
lol Ditto and a Happy New Year to you and your better half.

Im going to Autosport because of 360, as Paula has said to see people I havent seen for a while, to also go to the Watkins Lecture ...and get my son his annual Le Mans model of some sorts.

Race Retro is the better show for me.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2809701)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Retro is a far better show overall, far more intimate and what the NEC used to be like years back.

NEC is pretty much a show for meetings and trade and they charge us inasne money cz they know they can coz there is naff all else to do!

If people didnt go they wouldnt charge as much, simple!
Old 2 Jan 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2810211)   #6
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Don't think we'll be going this year, as said, too expensive for what there is of interest, even with the MSA £5 discount, when all the other NEC rip-off charges are added to the fuel cost.

Pretty sure will be at Stoneleigh, though - much more "clubby, if colder!
Old 2 Jan 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2810226)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if anyone does go, and wants to reduce the car park costs i can recommend looking a few stops closer to you on the train line. it's a shorter walk to the station and it's warmer
Old 2 Jan 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2810235)   #8
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember when.........1966 and all that!

Way back we had a Racing Car Show, and it was held at OLYMPIA in London. Mind you the roads were not as busy, and we saved money by parking our caravan on Olympia station right outside. It cost us ten bob for the weekend.
We got in the show for 2/6, and there was so much to see, including a hillclimb! Apart from that we had a good old chat and a fag with the F.1 drivers that were knocking around, and that new coffee from the USA was on sale...er..Maxwell House that was it.
I would have added some pictures, but it appears I can't on this page?
Old 2 Jan 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2810329)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
I would have added some pictures, but it appears I can't on this page?
Have a read of this Gerry to answer your questions
Old 3 Jan 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2810361)   #10
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No picture from 1966 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
Have a read of this Gerry to answer your questions
OK, I read it, thanks. Just thought perhaps current members interested in the RACING CAR SHOW 2011, would have liked to see just what it was like in 1966.
Who was there, what the innovations were, what new race cars were on show.
Paul Emery had his new Imp, Cooper Car Company had the Type 81 Cooper-Maserati F1.
Great fun, great show.
Anyway, thanks for putting me right about pictures.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2810271)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure why not Gerry.

Personally it's a bit of a hit and miss. I could go and end up getting a deal on a racesuit or a helmet. But to be fair it's just going to cost me twenty five quid to get in without anything else. I don't really care for cars razzing round in the arena. It's like a zoo and safari.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2810275)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always wanted to go ever since I got my first subscription to Autosport back around 1995. But in that time I've either been financially skint or up to my neck in work. Or the time I went to the UK, I mistimed the trip(it wasn't a well thought out trip, but we all make mistakes in our college years)

Going to the UK is so expensive now, even with a direct flight from Philly or Newark, that I'd have to combine it into a trip with other activities and January is certainly not the best month to go.
Old 3 Jan 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2810513)   #13
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Going to the UK is so expensive now, even with a direct flight from Philly or Newark, that I'd have to combine it into a trip with other activities and January is certainly not the best month to go.
Flying in and from America is crazy expensive with all that security paranoia. I'm in Birmingham for the year and I'm excited to see exactly what kind of show it is. The entry price is crazy, especially when converted to American/Canadian $. Hell, I could fly to Amsterdam for the weekend for that kind of money!
Old 2 Jan 2011, 22:17 (Ref:2810328)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never miss the show. Going on Saturday 15th.
Old 3 Jan 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2810423)   #15
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy New Year folks.

I used to go taking fotos for Karting Magazine and I am still offered media accreditation by the organisers.

Maybe I am getting too old now but I find this kind of show utterly exhausting and the expense getting there nowadays is prohibitive.

Also IMHO the show was far better 10 years ago.

Mind you, I do miss meeting old friends there....

Paula
Old 3 Jan 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2810442)   #16
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to go for the Short Circuit part of the show and to have a look at some of the other stands. I would, I'm sure buy some parts and bits, but I have no intrest in a live show and will not pay the inflated stupid price to get in. Once it was a major part of the season for me but now it's just a boy racers show. Oh, Happy New Year
Old 3 Jan 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2810514)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Then I would do exactly that! They have some good shows in Europe this time of year, far better than the Autosport one I would imagine.
Old 3 Jan 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2810542)   #18
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty of shows in Amsterdam, not all relating to two or four wheels either ...
Old 3 Jan 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2810595)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to the first show at Horticultural Hall in London 1960 and most shows since at Olympia ,Donington & Birmingham.Last went in 2008-last time I went on a Saturday I remember feeling ill with the crush of overcrowding. You used to be able to buy a ticket in advance for Friday which was tolerable.Now I guess its just a trade show-the early Racing Car Shows I think were on for a week?
Old 3 Jan 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2810688)   #20
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went between 2002 and 2009, but I'll never go again. So expensive these days and I only ever went in the latter years because a subscribing friend had a BOGOF offer and we split the cost of one ticket between us. The best part of forty quid per person just after Christmas isn't ideal. 2009 was the last straw, they totally changed the layout of the place from the one everybody was familiar with and it seemed such a smaller show. Not a lot worth seeing either.

The best show I attended was in 2008 when there was a loophole which let you buy tickets for the adjoining Pistonheads show and in turn gain access to Autosport International on the Friday and it was much better. Less of the Max Power brigade with bags and bags of posters and freebies going about. More of a chance to take photos and admire the cars on show. Unfortunately they closed that for 2009 and it was a Sunday I went.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 00:48 (Ref:2810735)   #21
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Like Craner Curves, 2009 was my last year there and I had my friend Johanna with me from Albuquerque, New Mexico,USA.

She enjoyed it, of course, as it was her first time there.

We stayed in my usual B & B on the Wednesday night which was rather nice and the breakfast was awesome.

CC is right, the stands were spread out far more and the place looked empty compared to earlier shows. This I feel was to help bigger crowds flow more freely.

The reduction in stands were no doubt due to economic pressures but I gather that the cost is prohibitive so even some of the bigger firms were not there.

I found the Live Action Arena very lacklustre too.

The best part of it was to going home on the Thursday evening.

The Virgin train back to Kings Cross was very full and we could not find a seat so we upgraded to 1st Class which included a good meal and drinks in the price.

Johanna paid by Credit Card but she was never charged.

We think that the person who took her card details felt sorry for us and never put it thru.

Thank you Virgin....

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 4 Jan 2011 at 00:54.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2810737)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post

The reduction in stands were no doubt due to economic pressures but I gather that the cost is prohibitive so even some of the bigger firms were not there.
I thought the same. It really hit home that there was a financial problem out there.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2810993)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Went once, on a freebie. While it was enjoyable I couldn't see anything that I'd want to pay significant amounts to get in for, so I've never even been tempted back. If it were a tenner I might consider it.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2811017)   #24
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£10 is about right, but £30 plus £10 for parking and about £35-£40 for petrol, plus food and so you end up spending close to £100.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2811147)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Have never understood Haymarkets positioning with this?

If you offere a price of say 18 quid without the boring live show then I would consider going? I would meet up with loats of people I know and make a day of it.

But to almost price normal people out of the market seems a very direct and conspicuous move? They clearly dont want the general public there? IN years gonre by the space was taken up by loads of trade stands and sellers. The last time I went it was manufacturers, teams with far more money then sense having stands and equipment stands.

I guess that answers it, like it or lump it punters!

Can't see it lasting