Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2692899)   #1
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engines - how are they holding up?

We know Vettel was running low on engines at the end of last year. We've seen a few failures across the paddock already this season, due to various reasons.

How are the different drivers doing for engines so far this season? Is there any way to check?
Old 17 May 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2692903)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know - but McLaren can tell you how to cook a Mercedes engine inside two minutes...
Old 18 May 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2692986)   #3
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This doesn't make full sense to me.
Merc engines famously can sit with just 4 cylinders running and fucntion perfectly. I also remember seeing Hamilton, at Nurburging 07 I think, skating off on a wet track and sitting there in there car with engine running for some time.

There seemed more than a touch of the legendary "hydraulics failure/ Gearbox failure/ electronics failure (delete as appropriate) than to admit engine failure.

Wasn't it Brundle in a Mclaren/Peugeot where the press release said hydraulic leak. Brundle confirmed it some years later, "yes a hydraulic leak through the area where the bottom of the engine was missing..."
Old 18 May 2010, 06:25 (Ref:2693064)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The idiots at MacLaren forgot to remove one of the radiator duct covers on the warm up lap. Hence phoenix's comment about knowing how to cook a Mercedes engine.
Old 18 May 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2693252)   #5
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The idiots at MacLaren forgot to remove one of the radiator duct covers on the warm up lap. Hence phoenix's comment about knowing how to cook a Mercedes engine.
Even after witnessing that unfortunate error I do not believe that Mclaren employ 'idiots'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see large red tags like the 'Remove before flight' tags attached to covers on aircraft on these sorts of parts in the Mclaren team at the next race. Common sense really, it must be very easy for something like this to happen.
Old 18 May 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2693285)   #6
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah because im sure you could do a better job than his mechanics.... Idiot
Old 18 May 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2693355)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
It obviously IS very easy to make the mistake, that is why it happened; and no, there are currently no tags on the intake covers and what's more the covers are the same colour as the rest of the car so not obvious at a quick glance whether they are present or not. This was discussed in detail at the time on the TV commentary and IIRC Brundle made the suggestion they should have tags on 'like aircraft engine covers' so that's not an original thought :-) One would not be surprised if they were a constrasting colour by the next race either...
Old 18 May 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2693586)   #8
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
So anyway, getting back to the original question, does anyone know if the information about how many engines the different teams have left is publicly available?
Old 18 May 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2693655)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Even after witnessing that unfortunate error I do not believe that Mclaren employ 'idiots'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see large red tags like the 'Remove before flight' tags attached to covers on aircraft on these sorts of parts in the Mclaren team at the next race. Common sense really, it must be very easy for something like this to happen.
You would hope .... bet they are sewing as we speak - better make them lime green with their colour scheme!
Strange they did not do it in the first place with all the aircraft and aerodynamic engineers they employ!
Old 19 May 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2693669)   #10
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of Jenson's engine, did he shut it down in time, or did it get trashed?
Old 19 May 2010, 05:10 (Ref:2693765)   #11
wnut
Veteran

I think you can safely assume it is well done!
Old 19 May 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2693898)   #12
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks. I thought so, too (lots of smoke), but hadn't read anything about it, one way or another.
Old 21 May 2010, 06:30 (Ref:2695190)   #13
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1.com interview with JB
Q: So the engine’s okay?
JB:
Yeah, it should be fine. I turned it off pretty quickly, so I don’t think it’ll be an issue.
Not sure it was cooked according to that.
Old 21 May 2010, 06:58 (Ref:2695196)   #14
wnut
Veteran

This on the day did not seem so positive:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8684709.stm

Jenson Button: "I think it got a little bit hot on the way to the grid. We left a bung in on the left-hand side of the car that obviously you're meant to take out on the ay to the grid. That's cooked the engine. It got very hot under the bonnet and I had to turn it off. I didn't want to leave oil on the race line. It would have been fine if we didn't have the safety car. That was what ended it. At such a slow speed you can't get any air into it to cool it down."
Martin Brundle: "Apparently, yesterday Jenson had to throw the remote control for the TV out of the cockpit at Rascasse."

I don't honestly see how an engine that had that much smoke and steam pouring out of it could possibly be ok. Heat kills engines!
Old 21 May 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2695213)   #15
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
There are three possible ways of looking at it:

1) Button said that it was cooked in the heat of the moment, then later (after the mechanics have had a chance to assess it), has said that it's fine.

2) Button realised the engine was overheating and turned it off before it disintegrated.

or

3) Button is lying in his interview.

The second situation seems more likely based on more information from Button in his interview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1.com interview with JB
Q: After the race, we heard you mention a ‘bung’ being left in the car - can you explain what that is?
JB: Yeah, it’s just a simple foam bung that we use in the garage to seal the sidepod and prevent cold air from flowing through it. It helps to maintain the engine’s operating temperature after we’ve warmed up the car. In Monaco, the bung was removed from the right-hand side but not the left, so the air that we need to feed the radiators and cool the car wasn’t getting through. That meant the car was slowly overheating, and that’s why I pulled off before the damage got too severe.
Old 21 May 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2695217)   #16
wnut
Veteran

I don't think Mercedes will be paying out on the warranty for that one!
Old 28 Aug 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2751283)   #17
wnut
Veteran

Has anybody seen any info on how many engines each of the teams have used and how many good fresh engines are available to each driver?

I can't find anything on this, imo important question, in any of the drivel written about F1.

Gearboxes too?
Old 28 Aug 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2751385)   #18
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.vivaf1.com/engine.php

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 29 Aug 2010, 01:54 (Ref:2751607)   #19
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post

Thanks Retro - that is great!

Beyond my wildest expectations!

How good is Williams!
P Delarosa would seem to be in a bit of strife too!