Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Nov 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3687619)   #1
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart Graham Capri

Saw this poster at the NEC Classic car show, sorry about the quality.

The car is Stuart Graham’s Ford Capri, but I can’t work out the circuit or year. Tricentrol first sponsored the championship in 1978 and ended in 1982.The crowd does look very seventies and is quite large in number, some are even track side of the protective wooden fence!
It looks like a very high concrete bank, don’t think it is Mallory Park as people were allowed on the inside of the hairpin.
Using Google to search for the answer I came across this second image, from http://www.forum-auto.com/sport-auto...78742-5320.htm

Translation states "4hr Mans 76 Production on the Bugatti
race won by Lucien GUITTENY / Stuart GRAHAM"
1976 was the first year that a change in the British touring car championship happened, with a limit for the top class being 3000cc engines. So this must be a very early race in the life of the Faberge Capri.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0727.jpg   0000341[1].jpg  

Last edited by Finbin; 13 Nov 2016 at 15:33.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3687796)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure whather this helps but Stuart Graham did some races of the French Touring Car Championship in '78.

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1978%20Montlhery.html

Won at Montlhery driving Capri number 31. Maybe some other tracks too - according to comments on the site.

The record at the site above are a little incomplete.

I would have guessed Pau but he's not listed as competing there.
Old 14 Nov 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3688002)   #3
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes Stuart did come to France, including Rouen. I think the first picture is Montlhéry, exiting from "Les deux ponts" hairpin before entering "La Ferme" curve. Can't locate the second picture on Le Mans's Bugatti short circuit.
Old 14 Nov 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3688096)   #4
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The picture can't be '76, as the car in both shots is a mark 3 Capri, which didn't appear until '78 (possibly late '77, but definitely not '76).

So must be '78 onwards, but can't help beyond that.
Old 14 Nov 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3688100)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Graham's car was a mk2 then upgraded to mk3 panel spec.

I think you guys are right that the op's picture is in France. Eithrr that or Oulton at Lodge?
Old 15 Nov 2016, 06:45 (Ref:3688171)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I'd go with Gerard's answer. He does come from that side of the channel, and if I'm not mistaken races a Gp1 Capri....

"4hr Mans 76 Production on the Bugatti race won by Lucien GUITTENY / Stuart GRAHAM" sounds like the Le Mans Bugatti (short) circuit to me as well.
Old 16 Nov 2016, 09:55 (Ref:3688467)   #7
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are right, there is no record of Stuart entering in 1976, I think the second photo is 4hr race at Le Mans in his team mates Lucien Guitteny car (different number and no Tricentrol sticker on it).

Had this rely from Stuart Graham himself:-
Interesting how these things come up - the wonders of the web! As you observed we won quite a few races in the French Championship that year, which Ford France and Faberge France were happy about, but the FFSA did not think an Englishman winning their Championship would be appreciated, so decided I was not eligible for points!
However it was nevertheless a very enjoyable scene, great drivers (Beltoise, Cudini, Lafosse, Metge, Cevert. etc),good circuits, but very hectic doing both BTCC and Europe,spent a lot of time travelling, ‘78 was certainly my busiest year.
Kind regards,
Stuart.