Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2004, 21:38 (Ref:921519)   #1
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live Coverage?

Just a thought...I see the six nations rugby is on live on saturday night prime time television (on ITV). The big question would F1 get the same treatment?
Old 27 Mar 2004, 22:00 (Ref:921530)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No.

There's your simple answer!
Old 27 Mar 2004, 22:01 (Ref:921531)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rugby is on BBC, not ITV.

Anyway, when F1 falls on primetime Sunday night it is shown live.

So the answer is yes.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 22:08 (Ref:921535)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race is shown live, but qualifying on a Saturday evening isn't. ITV have never shown qualifying live for the Canadian GP since they took over F1 coverage in the UK in 1997.

Old 27 Mar 2004, 22:18 (Ref:921542)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but the race is the actual event - and that's what compares to the rugby match in the original question.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 14:51 (Ref:922103)   #6
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Rugby is on BBC, not ITV.

Anyway, when F1 falls on primetime Sunday night it is shown live.

So the answer is yes.
About three years ago itv did not show the canadian GP live because they didn't want to disturbe the prime time drama so they put it on itv2.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 14:52 (Ref:922105)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

It was the US GP.

And that's the only time in seven years of F1 coverage ITV hasn't shown the race live on the main network.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:49 (Ref:922732)   #8
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm amazed ITV don't use ITV2 more for F1 stuff - everyone is there - the cameras are rolling and they've paid the cash - why not just show it?!
Old 29 Mar 2004, 11:58 (Ref:922743)   #9
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agreed totally sonic, just feel we'd all get more sense doing
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:00 (Ref:922744)   #10
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why put something on ITV2 when most people still cannot/ dont want to recieve it?

come to think of it, the perfect home for Footballers Wives.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:03 (Ref:922748)   #11
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
understand your sentiment mark but surely anythings better than nothing? i'd sure have my mates round to watch if i had it & they didnt!
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:50 (Ref:922817)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't understand it fully myself, but ITV can't just put programs (easily) on ITV2. The don't own the air time.

There is a similar reason why qualifying for the Malaysian GP wasn't shown live on ITV1. ITV don't hold he rights to broadcast on their own station at those morning hours. these early hours are owned by GMTV. I presume ITV paid loads for the race, or that it is different on a Sunday.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 15:51 (Ref:922981)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
mark_l, I think more people have access to ITV2 than those who don't.

And you can get it for free now anyways.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:00 (Ref:922991)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can get ITV2 for free, however I'm not sure that many people have taken up this option. Is it really true that more people have bothered to get digital (etc...) than not?

And surely it would be better to put live Q on ITV2 than not at all?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:09 (Ref:923001)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, because at least then you'd have the option wouldn't you?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:43 (Ref:923114)   #16
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
am i missing something here? if itv dont have total rights to broadcast via a live tv channel, whats the point of spending a fortune on the rights to show it?
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:10 (Ref:923148)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard
am i missing something here? if itv dont have total rights to broadcast via a live tv channel, whats the point of spending a fortune on the rights to show it?
Yes I think you are. Unfortunately for us racing fans ITV have sold a few hours every morning 7 days a week to GMTV. This arrangement has been in place for many years (15 - 20 years maybe). They obviously have a buyout clause but clearly it is not viable for live qualifying. However it is for the live race - as it is the race show only started 15mins before the race rather than the usual hour. This is problably because their contract with Bernie commits them to show the races live and may not commit them to show qualifying.

All speculation but that is my interpretation.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 07:45 (Ref:923637)   #18
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
I'm amazed ITV don't use ITV2 more for F1 stuff - everyone is there - the cameras are rolling and they've paid the cash - why not just show it?!
when itv2 showed the US gp i think Bernie wasnt happy as ITV only holds the rights to show F1 on terrestrial tv in the UK and ITV 2 is classed as satellite
thats how when F1 digital was launched in the UK it held the rights to satellite coverage and itv couldnt do a thing about it
Old 30 Mar 2004, 08:32 (Ref:923687)   #19
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get ITV2 free by getting one of those set top boxes, but most of the stuff that's on it is **** anyway, ITV2 is probably the only thing worth watching.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:923699)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
You get what you pay for! Although free for an ITV channel seems expensive

Actually I think that access to the beeb channels is the thing that sells it.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 15:15 (Ref:924073)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sato san informs me that once again, ITV are showing qualifying delayed on saturday.

To quote Sato, as he so eliquently put it.....

Quote:
ranted by Sato san

ITV are a bunch of and really aren't worth a

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Mar 2004 at 15:16.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 18:37 (Ref:924335)   #22
Flossyhead baaa
Rookie

Flossyhead baaa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with him . They should sort their act out for sure.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 19:19 (Ref:924371)   #23
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes i just dicovered that ITV are not broadcasting the qualifying live on saturday instead they will have delayed coverage later on in the afternoon. I checked the tv guide to see what is on when the qualifying should be on.....all i can say is i just laughed...check it out for yourselfs you will get a good laugh....really
Old 30 Mar 2004, 19:42 (Ref:924394)   #24
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to this, the radio coverage for qualifying AND the race has been moved to Five Live Sports Extra which is only available to digital radio listeners - no online streaming.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sports...schedule.shtml for details.

Last edited by Alfaholic; 30 Mar 2004 at 19:42.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 20:05 (Ref:924416)   #25
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I checked the tv guide to see what is on when the qualifying should be on.....all i can say is i just laughed...check it out for yourselfs you will get a good laugh....really [/B][/QUOTE]

Coronation Street at 12 in the afternoon, where else would u get it.....

its always "the steet"

By the way, i hope your looking after those dvd's like a baby mate....

wrong place 2 post it but what the hell, i seen ur name

An email would not go amiss u no....

Last edited by GXH; 30 Mar 2004 at 20:10.