Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Dec 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2594057)   #1
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTM/Super GT tie-in

Now, this looks interesting...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80436
Old 4 Dec 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2594060)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It certainly does . Cant wait to see if this actually happens or not .
Old 4 Dec 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2594065)   #3
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see DTM move to GT500 regulations, from what I've seen it looks like one of the best on the planet right now.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2594074)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That would be cool, and even better if they were then allowed at Le Mans!
Old 4 Dec 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2594098)   #5
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus GT500 is moving towards the new FIA GT1 rules for 2011.
Old 4 Dec 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2594123)   #6
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Plus GT500 is moving towards the new FIA GT1 rules for 2011.
Do we even know that? I thought those plans where scrapped and instead they are now talking to DTM for combining regs to expand the market?
Old 4 Dec 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2594171)   #7
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've heard Super GT were going to get GT1 regulations,that are too far away from silhouettes. Have they thought once more?
I don't see any reason to make another Ratel-ruled series. I can't imagine R8 lms GT1 or SLS GT1. They are too new for this.
But common regulations for Super GT and DTM - is a great idea. Merc,Audi,Lexus,Honda,BMW - a right set for high quality racing.
Old 5 Dec 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2594333)   #8
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM running to GT500 rules would be awesome get DTM to the old format of 2 races per weekend with no pitstops and it'll be perfect.

When SCCA Trans-Am has grown a bit and is a bit stronger prehaps they could go to GT500 rules as well....
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 5 Dec 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2594467)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
When SCCA Trans-Am has grown a bit and is a bit stronger prehaps they could go to GT500 rules as well....
I would love to see that. Imagine the cross-pollination between Japan, Germany and the U.S. at the bigger races (Poka 1000 etc). The problem is for that to be a reasonable request for teams, engine, and car builders involved in Trans-Am to do it'll take at least a decade. That assumes that the North American market responds to the revival of Trans-Am.

Chris
Old 6 Dec 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2594834)   #10
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
According to AUTOSPORT(of Japan),
Yuuichi Sanada of the president of NISMO commented about the article on AUTOSPORT(of UK).
The person in charge of ITR comes to Japan in next week or the week after next.
The visit to Japan purpose is to negotiate with JAF and GTA.
Then, JAF and GTA will evaluate the suitability hearing the explanation of the ITR side.
He thinks whether it is difficult to unite regulations in 2012 now.
http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=2&no=23737
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2594950)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sharing car rules would be great... as long as they are good. Cars should be cheap, fast, nice looking and fun to watch racing (i.e. they should allow overtaking). If any of the feet fails, the rules package fails.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2594973)   #12
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4257

This report even mentions Mario Thiessen talking to the ITR, JAF, FIA and the ACO. That would be fine with me for the future top class of GT racing. If multiple manufacturers get in, they could be equalized with the future P1 cars and their 520 horsepower for overall wins...

Plus:
-BMW is looking to race there rather than in LMP because they have already been racing F1s that have nothing to do with their road cars for a decade. The only reason to choose prototypes would be to be seen racing new technologies.
-Mercedes is talking about racing the SLS pretty soon, and probably of winning some endurance races with it.
-Nissan can't be too happy with the slow FIA GT1 GT-R and the field of grandfathered cars it's going to race against.

They would all have reasons to push for DTM/Endurance rules, and then I could see Vitaphone/Maserati joining in with their front-engined coupé, and then...
Old 6 Dec 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2594998)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These things would be mental, Prototypes with road car (well, sort of..) shells. The current Super GT has mentalist amounts of downforce, a fully combined world championship would pretty much be a true GTP championship.

Time to go on Forza 3 and upgrade my Audi DTM car to the same PI as my Lexus Super GT....
Old 6 Dec 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2595008)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Sharing car rules would be great... as long as they are good. Cars should be cheap, fast, nice looking and fun to watch racing (i.e. they should allow overtaking). If any of the feet fails, the rules package fails.
When DTM and SuperGT organizers are involved? Forget it.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2595047)   #15
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much would have to change to bring 2011 P1 and GT500+ on the same pace. Just imagine a P2 from the last 3 years (when they made 500+ hp) slowed by bodywork limitations intended in the next ACO regs and ballasted to 900kg. That must be within GT500's reach...

Times at Okayama this year: GT500-1:24 to 1:26 range / LMP2: 1:23 (P1s in the 1:19-1:20 range)
Old 6 Dec 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2595068)   #16
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Not much would have to change to bring 2011 P1 and GT500+ on the same pace. Just imagine a P2 from the last 3 years (when they made 500+ hp) slowed by bodywork limitations intended in the next ACO regs and ballasted to 900kg. That must be within GT500's reach...

Times at Okayama this year: GT500-1:24 to 1:26 range / LMP2: 1:23 (P1s in the 1:19-1:20 range)
But they aren't trying to equalize GT500 and Prototype cars.....
Old 7 Dec 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2595227)   #17
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have written some years ago that the DTM and GT500 cars should try to run together, finally the DTM and GTA have seen the similarities among themselves.

I think they should run a couple of exhibition races, maybe in China or USA, markets not yet exploited by either series, together in 2010 to see how they can work together. It can be billed as a special "GTM Challenge". Yeah, we could call the new series "Grand Touring Masters".

Put some ballast on the GT500 cars to equate the performance for now and work towards a common set of rules, then teams can enter cars in Japan or Germany as they wish.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2595271)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
A Grand Touring Masters series sounds like a good idea.

Technically speaking the DTM and Super GT cars are closer in design then the FIA GT cars, they are more prototypes then GT racers and it would bring the bigger manufacturers from both companies together on the track so I'd like to see this happen.

In my eyes this is more likely to happen then FIA GT/Super GT adopting the same rules and regs which has been been touted over the last few years-I think that proposal ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2595344)   #19
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if the DTM/Super GT tie up is done properly, it has even more potential than the current FIA GT1. They are building from a very good platform.

It will probably depends on DTM switching to Super GT rules. I think that can work. They can share a common monocoque and then use their own bodies. If Audi, Mercedes and Lexus (and maybe even BMW) cannot afford it, then nobody can.

They can retain the German and Japanese series, then have some joint end of season clashes in the USA, China...etc.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2595548)   #20
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this tie in occurs it will bring together, from the initial outlook, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota and possibly BMW. My only worry though is last time something like this was done (World touring champ for silhouette/Hyper touring car's) was the ITC, which was absolutely incredible but it went down the toilet after only a couple of years.

However, ignoring my pessimistic ramblings, the tie in would be fanastic, i would probably rather watch Nissan, Toyota, Merc, Audi, BMW go toe to toe than the FIA GT1 championship. Combining the german and japanese calender is all good to a point, but imo i would draw a totally new calender up, a kind of euro-asian calender, e.g:

Silverstone
Barcelona
Spa
Nurburgring
Fuji
Macau
Ti Aida
Suzuka
Adelaide
Bathurst

and have possibly a long race, say 6 hours (Poka at suzuka).

i will be keeping an eye on this, huge potential if it is exploited properly in the right area's.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 18:02 (Ref:2595591)   #21
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never been too keen on the GT500 cars, personally.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2595600)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
Macau
Trying to imagine that. My roommate and me once tried racing GT500 cars on the Cita di Aria track in Gran Tourismo 4. It was great fun, but of the very insane kind.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2595640)   #23
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone tell my what Honda will be racing as I beleive that the NSX has been retired?
Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2595651)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Can anyone tell my what Honda will be racing as I beleive that the NSX has been retired?
See:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=112448&page=5
Old 8 Dec 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2595872)   #25
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably both series will do cheaper regulations.... Something more afrdable by private teams