Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jan 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3701241)   #1
defuser
Rookie

defuser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Data / Race Engineer Rates in GT Racing

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with some information, I am planing on taking my freelance data / race engineer gig more seriously this year (part of my new years resolution ).

Currently focusing on Asian region/series. I want to know what sort of rates are considered normal lets say per day ? (please specify currency too, for apple to apple comparisons)

I don't have a lot of trackside experience but have been spent time doing British Formula 3, Formula Renault, Asian Super Trofeo, Asian LMP3 as well as Formula 1.

P/s - so far i've one mate that told me Carrera cup engineers are getting 500-700euro/day....another mate reckons 200-250euro/per day for GT racing.

Thanking in Advance !
Old 9 Jan 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3701264)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
when you say 'Data / Race Engineer' are you covering both roles within one job, or are they two separate roles but you'd expect them to be paid the same rate whichever you do?
Old 9 Jan 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3701266)   #3
defuser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
when you say 'Data / Race Engineer' are you covering both roles within one job, or are they two separate roles but you'd expect them to be paid the same rate whichever you do?

Ahh sorry good question, kinda covering both but data biased for now..thanks for the question.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3701413)   #4
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing exactly this in Asia and Europe and given you're a little green I'd day an event rate of around 1500 to 2000 euro would be the ballpark. A race engineer is generally going to ask for the upper end of that and data the lower. I've seen figures all over the place though, so don't sell yourself short during your initial quotes, you can always lower it but once you low ball yourself you'll find it difficult to increase it within the same party.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3701429)   #5
defuser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
I'm doing exactly this in Asia and Europe and given you're a little green I'd day an event rate of around 1500 to 2000 euro would be the ballpark. A race engineer is generally going to ask for the upper end of that and data the lower. I've seen figures all over the place though, so don't sell yourself short during your initial quotes, you can always lower it but once you low ball yourself you'll find it difficult to increase it within the same party.
Hi Buddy, thanks so much for your reply ! "once you low ball yourself you'll find it difficult to increase it within the same party" ----> this is exactly why I am asking on here, i don't want to sell myself short or be short changed either.

1) 1500-2000 per event so I am guessing that cover from setup-raceday ? (i.e. 4-5 days of work minus travel ?)

2) And is the that price range is for what series (Actually do prices vary from series to series ?)

3) so 1500-2000 is for green engineers, what sorta rates can season engineers get ...purely out of curiosity and...ambition ? lol
Old 10 Jan 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3701505)   #6
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah usually 4 day events including a prep day minus travel/accommodation/food which will be reimbursed. That range will cover pretty much everything in Asia (ignoring Japan which I'm not sure about) with series such as Asian le mans/gt Asia on the upper range and your formula master, Renault 2.0/sprint P3 on the lower side.

Experienced engineers would be pushing the 3k mark but you'll find most of them have yearly salaries with good teams and will do a couple of series with the same team (as most teams do these days to fill the season). Yearly salaries for experienced engineers will range anywhere from 50k to 100k euro depending on team and series, so there's good money to be made for dedicated and hard working engineers.

The beauty of the sports is that it's relatively very small and you naturally expand your professional circle quite quickly which opens a lot of opportunities, so once you're in, as long as you work hard you'll generally have options somewhere.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 02:22 (Ref:3701712)   #7
defuser
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah usually 4 day events including a prep day minus travel/accommodation/food which will be reimbursed. That range will cover pretty much everything in Asia (ignoring Japan which I'm not sure about) with series such as Asian le mans/gt Asia on the upper range and your formula master, Renault 2.0/sprint P3 on the lower side.

Experienced engineers would be pushing the 3k mark but you'll find most of them have yearly salaries with good teams and will do a couple of series with the same team (as most teams do these days to fill the season). Yearly salaries for experienced engineers will range anywhere from 50k to 100k euro depending on team and series, so there's good money to be made for dedicated and hard working engineers.

The beauty of the sports is that it's relatively very small and you naturally expand your professional circle quite quickly which opens a lot of opportunities, so once you're in, as long as you work hard you'll generally have options somewhere.
Ok....noted on the price range and coverage over asia, cheers for that !

No way !!!!! you have got to be shitting me !! 50K euro minimum ? that's more than what a Jr-Mid level F1 data/strategy engineer gets !!! and not all of them get to enjoy working trackside ! dammm i had no idea they make that much money !!! Also, been asking around my network and a buddy of mine said that some full time engineers will negotiate a bonus deal as well ( i am assuming with results.. that sounds amazing.

Yes, i couldn't agree more on this last point, everytime i get the chance to be at track, i always remind myself to say hi to as many people as I can and whatever I can help I will. Do you carry a name card around with you ??? Cause I did think about doing that !
Old 11 Jan 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3701801)   #8
Ospi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by defuser View Post
Ok....noted on the price range and coverage over asia, cheers for that !

No way !!!!! you have got to be shitting me !! 50K euro minimum ? that's more than what a Jr-Mid level F1 data/strategy engineer gets !!! and not all of them get to enjoy working trackside ! dammm i had no idea they make that much money !!! Also, been asking around my network and a buddy of mine said that some full time engineers will negotiate a bonus deal as well ( i am assuming with results.. that sounds amazing.

Yes, i couldn't agree more on this last point, everytime i get the chance to be at track, i always remind myself to say hi to as many people as I can and whatever I can help I will. Do you carry a name card around with you ??? Cause I did think about doing that !
Sorry, too busy converting to and from euro and aud. 50 to 100 aud was the range which is around 35k to 70k euro. Still very reasonable wages!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:30 (Ref:3702558)   #9
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, too busy converting to and from euro and aud. 50 to 100 aud was the range which is around 35k to 70k euro. Still very reasonable wages!
Is this thread a wind up?
Old 14 Jan 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3702586)   #10
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Two very different roles and experience makes an enormous difference!

Data with little experience get 50/day if you are lucky!
Old 16 Jan 2017, 04:18 (Ref:3702847)   #11
defuser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Is this thread a wind up?
No, i really want to know the rates.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3702848)   #12
defuser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Two very different roles and experience makes an enormous difference!

Data with little experience get 50/day if you are lucky!
interesting, which series is this for and what currency is this in ?
Old 16 Jan 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3702856)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Any and EUR / STG. What series doesn't alter someone's low experience level.