Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2001, 17:06 (Ref:116189)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Financial problems for Alan Jones??

1980 world champion(Williams Ford) Alan Jones is going to sell all his trophies at a auction this month, the reason has'nt been given.(www.verstappen.nl)

Well, could the 1980 WDC have money problems??, I can't see any other reason for him to sell these throphies........
Old 12 Jul 2001, 21:35 (Ref:116308)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope this isn't a case of brother can you lend me a dime.
Old 12 Jul 2001, 21:38 (Ref:116311)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or some ladies in the backstage...
Old 12 Jul 2001, 22:55 (Ref:116353)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New wives don't come cheap, and old ones generally insist on a pretty high changeover fee (known in some circles as severance pay). He may be obliged to sell them to pay her half...??

Last edited by Ray Bell; 12 Jul 2001 at 22:57.
Old 12 Jul 2001, 23:41 (Ref:116368)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Selling his F1 trophies hey, very nice. Hmm, is he selling his V8 Supercar "Wooden Spoons" as well?
Old 13 Jul 2001, 02:42 (Ref:116400)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well look at it this way.

he has spent a fair bit of money trying to get his racing career back up and running and trying to start a V8 supercar team, im pretty sure he has forked out quite a bit of money to get his son Christians career up and running which seems to have done a mclaren on him (stalled before it really started )
and his wife has just had twin babies this year ..and the only job i can see AJ having is the gig he has with channel 9 for GP telecasts.other than that i dont know what he does for money.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 05:23 (Ref:116430)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
And maybe he invested in One Tel
Old 13 Jul 2001, 06:09 (Ref:116446)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

There is another possibility... it could be a genetic thing. His father was a great driver, as was Alan... but what do you see these days of the Melbourne Holden dealership under the Stan Jones name?

Stan's been dead for about 26 years now, but the businesses were gone before he went to England to live...

And Alan keeps on saying, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time!"
Old 13 Jul 2001, 07:48 (Ref:116472)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if AJ is in financial trouble I'm sure his old friend AMoffatt would be glad to lend him a mill or so.Wrex, you are a heartless individual

Shame! Shame ! Shame!
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:16 (Ref:116489)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I've been waiting for you to turn up
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:45 (Ref:116500)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Moffat's stone motherless broke. He sold his race cars years ago.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:49 (Ref:116501)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Sorry Moffat's stone motherless broke. He sold his race cars years ago.
For short term investments in VB and XXXX no less
Old 13 Jul 2001, 10:53 (Ref:116518)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He may not necessarily be in financial problems. I know that the former Australian cricketer Greg Chappell is selling or has sold most of his memorabilia. Not because he is broke, but because he has no use for them. Why not make some money? They still have the memories.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 11:24 (Ref:116534)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

...and they might get a dinner invitation from some of the buyers who want to know more about them... there, a meal for free, what a deal!
Old 13 Jul 2001, 15:38 (Ref:116634)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hahaha..very funny ray ..now if they will only offer him a bed for the night ..hes set.

if I was a Formula One world champion I would not sell any of my trophies...that is a Formula One world championship..the highest level a driver can reach...I would even get burried with it...sure he has his memories but to give up his trophies like that i think is complete madness
Old 17 Jul 2001, 02:37 (Ref:118065)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well Aussie mambers would have seen AJ on the GP coverage the other night.

he was sorrounded by his trophies and announced that he is going to auction them off..he gave his reasons as to why as well.

he claims that he has just moved house into a rather smaller one that he had and doesnt have the room to store his trophies or the time to keep them clean and in good condition...he also stated that his wife has just had twin babies and he would rather sell the trophies and put the money into their future.

sounds like a reasonable excuse to me ..but still a rather hard one to do and I still wouldnt do it...

he is even selling some of his fathers trophies http://www.christies.com/promos/inth...llery.asp#1020

this link should tell you more about it if you are interested.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 06:44 (Ref:118137)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought the poor bugger looked extremely uncomfortable on the telly the other night and hope he is OK. I can't imagine how it would feel to sell them under any other conditions other than the one he mntioned.
Lety's hope that is all there is to it.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 07:36 (Ref:118160)   #18
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the guy a break. I dont know exactly how well he was payed back in the seventies when he was at the top of his game. But today everyone is alot more financially sound and they have plenty of accountants and managers looking after their futures.

Trophies or no trophies, it will never change the fact that he was WDC.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 09:25 (Ref:118192)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
if I was a Formula One world champion I would not sell any of my trophies...that is a Formula One world championship..the highest level a driver can reach...I would even get burried with it...sure he has his memories but to give up his trophies like that i think is complete madness
Trophies are just that - nothing else. Alan does not need any trophies to remind himself that he was WDC, or that he won races. Having said all that, I reckon he should have kept his father's trophy for the Australian GP win, and his trophy for his first GP, just to show his grandchildren and for something to tell them. But let's face it, these trophies are not admired by anyone that comes into his home - they know he was the champ. I honestly feel that he doesn't need the other trophies, and his children's education is a helluva lot more important.
I know a guy who won 4 class championships in sailing, and nobody cares about all his trophies - even when his children come and see his trophies, they couldn't give a $hit.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 11:28 (Ref:118243)   #20
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he needs the money for an oil change for his hair!
Old 24 Jul 2001, 08:44 (Ref:120963)   #21
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Williams sump oil to put through his hair doesnt come cheap. Maybe he is starting his own boxing promotion buisness with Alan Grice