Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 May 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3253239)   #201
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That sounds about right. At COTA they were 1sec faster than WC in qualifying, so maybe GT3ish in speed.
Thanks, they had the V8 Supercars on Speed today and they looked like fun.

DK
Old 26 May 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3253275)   #202
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They have a bit more power than gte, but heavier. Super GT is as fast as lmp2, faster without the success ballast.

As far as Austin, if they have cabs and public transportation and or shuttle busses from hotels, I know it could work. The question now is do I have money enough and who am I going with!
Old 26 May 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3253296)   #203
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver chat:

Having just watched Sean Edwards smash the field at the Porsche Supercup in Monaco - less than a week after he won the Nurburgring 24 Hours - my question is what is next for him?

After letting Rene Rast slip through their fingers surely Porsche will sign him up to the factory pilot programme. I figure if maybe a couple of guys move up to P1s there could be space for a new GT man.

A Dubai 24HR winner as a consistent victor in ALMS GTC, he's absolutely quality.
Old 26 May 2013, 14:08 (Ref:3253430)   #204
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say, does anyone think of a dream sports car series? If we apply the current class (plus borrowing other like Formula One and NASCAR), we can create something that is more epic than World Endurance Championship.
  1. Prototype One (LMP1 with Can-Am influence)
  2. Prototype Two (LMP2, DP, GT500, DTM, and current Trans-Am cars combined; they can race either in silhouettes or true prototypes while using a unified safety cell)
  3. GT1 (GTE and factory-backed GT3; All-Pro class)
  4. GT2 (privateer GT3/GT300 cars; Pro-Am class)

NOTE: Please delete this post if you don't like it.
Old 26 May 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3253473)   #205
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2000+1
Old 26 May 2013, 15:36 (Ref:3253491)   #206
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea but I'm guessing it would be a BoP nightmare..
Old 26 May 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3253555)   #207
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
I'm guessing both the Japanese GT500 Supercars and the DTM cars would be faster than GTE but am thinking GTE might be slightly faster than Australian V8 Supercars or am I wrong?
V8SC cars ran about the same lap times as World Challenge GT at the COTA short track (if they both had run the long track, the V8SC would have been consistently quicker).

V8SC have around 650hp and almost no downforce. Their tires are small, but I've been told the compound is absolutely fantastic for grip.. and also why they don't last very long. On a normal road course the V8SC would have no chance against a GTE car.. the GTE will out last it, out brake it, out accelerate it up to around 120mph, and will out turn it. The GTE has massive aero and the best GT tires available. It's not even close.

-mike
Old 26 May 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3253708)   #208
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
GT300 cars are like mini lmps. GT500 cars are like lmp2. I don't know how DTM stacks up but their tires aren't near the SuperGT cars.
Old 27 May 2013, 00:33 (Ref:3253747)   #209
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
V8SC cars ran about the same lap times as World Challenge GT at the COTA short track (if they both had run the long track, the V8SC would have been consistently quicker).

V8SC have around 650hp and almost no downforce. Their tires are small, but I've been told the compound is absolutely fantastic for grip.. and also why they don't last very long. On a normal road course the V8SC would have no chance against a GTE car.. the GTE will out last it, out brake it, out accelerate it up to around 120mph, and will out turn it. The GTE has massive aero and the best GT tires available. It's not even close.

-mike
Mike,

Thank you for your insight!

DK
Old 27 May 2013, 23:16 (Ref:3254269)   #210
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
GTE cars look nicer, too!
Old 30 May 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3255503)   #211
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know any details about this Pikes Peak spec Mini? Is it a works outfit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGf_bBvoog
Old 31 May 2013, 06:00 (Ref:3255814)   #212
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Here is an article from Motorsport magazine that sportscar fans will like:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ma...-the-greatest/

... especially this quote:
Quote:
There are frustrations with the WEC, including a stupidly convoluted aggregate qualifying system. But right now, for me, it’s the premier circuit-based World Championship on the planet.
Old 31 May 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3255993)   #213
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Does anyone know any details about this Pikes Peak spec Mini? Is it a works outfit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGf_bBvoog
Check out the "German Car Scene" site. Therebwas an article posted recently

http://germancarscene.com/2013/05/30...it-pikes-peak/

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 15 Jun 2013, 04:43 (Ref:3262896)   #214
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Finns are the formula of people. The slogan has been hammered so deeply into the nation's the subconscious, it will blur the realism. Many young people the promise of going to force formula side, while the other compass might come undone by running the wort rest of their lives. One choise could be Sportscars. Just ask Toni Vilander or Markus Palttala. Vauhdin Maailma magazine asked.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3262904)   #215
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Try the Hillclimb sub forum and this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=136328&page=8
Old 24 Jul 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3281167)   #216
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
This is an interesting article, not just about the GT40, but its take on the status of Le Mans

http://jalopnik.com/why-exactly-was-...cars-886009275
Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3286009)   #217
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I went to a car event yesterday at Wilton House near Salisbury, UK and the special guest was Allan McNish, together with the 2013 Le Mans winning Audi R18 and a Rothmans Porsche 956.

My son and I had a short chat with him and he spent over an hour signing posters and cards then had a chat about Le Mans over the PA.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3286106)   #218
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was in Salisbury on Friday but I'd have much rather been there for your reason than mine......
Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3289043)   #219
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a question here for the technical folks.

How many lateral G's do modern racecars generate when cornering? I'm interested in seeing the comparison between GTs, LMPs and open wheel cars (as well as seeing how much more these generate than street cars)
Old 12 Aug 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3289048)   #220
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I've got a question here for the technical folks.

How many lateral G's do modern racecars generate when cornering? I'm interested in seeing the comparison between GTs, LMPs and open wheel cars (as well as seeing how much more these generate than street cars)
The onboard feeds Audi has provided for past years include lateral G telemetry.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJis6VnEJw

In this case not totally clean line, 3.07 G at Porsche Curves.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3289269)   #221
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
indy cars generates more than 3.5G during indianapolis 500 miles, with an average speed of over 200mph. Formula 1 cars can generate more for good.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3289281)   #222
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think IndyCar does over 4.5 lat Gs at Texas Motor Speedway.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3289396)   #223
TF110
Veteran

United States
Isnt that helped by the banking in the turns?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3289417)   #224
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They can definitely go faster with the banking ... same as at Indianapolis, which has a little less than half the banking but is still, at 9 percent, most definitely banked.

Someone asked about lateral G-loads and I think a place like TMS would deliver the highest loads drivers have to endure. For road-racing tracks, i don't know but maybe T8 at Turkey?

Here is an except from the source of sources, the never-inaccurate Wikipedia:

"At such low speeds the car can turn at 2.0 g. At 210 km/h (130 mph) already the lateral force is 3.0 g, as evidenced by the famous esses (turns 3 and 4) at the Suzuka circuit. Higher-speed corners such as Blanchimont (Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps) and Copse (Silverstone Circuit) are taken at above 5.0 g, and 6.0 g has been recorded at Suzuka's 130-R corner.[19] This contrasts with 1 g for the Enzo Ferrari, a high performance road car.

"The large downforce allows an F1 car to corner at amazing speeds. As an example of the extreme cornering speeds; the Blanchimont and Eau Rouge corners at Spa-Francorchamps are taken flat-out at above 300 km/h (190 mph), whereas the race-spec touring cars can only do so at 150–160 km/h (note that lateral force increases with the square of the speed). A newer and perhaps even more extreme example is the Turn 8 at the Istanbul Park circuit, a 190° relatively tight 4-apex corner, in which the cars maintain speeds between 265 and 285 km/h (165 and 177 mph) (in 2006) and experience between 4.5 g and 5.5 g for 7 seconds—the longest sustained hard cornering in Formula 1."
Old 14 Aug 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3289846)   #225
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think lmp cars are a bit too heavy and underpowered to record the same forces as f1, but that may change if the cars are faster in the future (which I think they will be). I am not certain but wasn't it stated by Pascal Vasselon of Toyota that the 20kg cost them a half second at LeMans? If thats the case, 870kg could shave 1.25 seconds from the cars, at least in theory.