Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

View Poll Results: Does the UK need more circuits?
Yes 4 50.00%
No 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Nov 2001, 01:26 (Ref:173108)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the UK need more circuits?

Do you think we need more high quality race circuits in the uk? personally I think we do, as we have about 4 or 5 top quality circuits and some lower quality circuits, not naming any names.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 01:57 (Ref:173114)   #2
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Does the UK need more circuits?

Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
Do you think we need more high quality race circuits in the uk? personally I think we do, as we have about 4 or 5 top quality circuits and some lower quality circuits, not naming any names.
Spot on Pink69 - I have spent 2001 at most of them and range the facilities as between wishy-washy and terible with a few notiable exceptions - Dare I name names - I am a Journo so why not..

My vote for the best facilities in 2001 as both a working Journo and a spectator must go to Rockingham - It is true you can see 95% of the track from your seat or almost 99% from the top of the pit garages.

For racing it has to be either Castle Combe or Knockhill in the dry.

As for food - Erm.... None of them - Take a packed lunch.

For the record the track the treated me best as a working scribe has to be Rockingham with Thruxton a very very close second.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 07:20 (Ref:173149)   #3
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bacon and Brie on Garlic bagettes at Castle Coombe were very good, but that was down at camp corner, a bit far from the paddock for most journo's!!!!!

Otherwise food at circuits is a risky experience and an expensive one.

What is needed is investment into the current circuits to bring the facilities up to an acceptable standard. Although a nice street circuit around Birmingham would be good.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 08:48 (Ref:173163)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham has shown the way to go,but if oval racing does not catch on they are going to have to rebuild it as the infield part to too distant for the crowd.
Brand Hatch actually has WORSE facilities for the public than when I first went there in 1955,in that the only decent stand at a British circuit has been demolished!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 10:17 (Ref:173188)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think we need any new circuits.....just improve the ones that are not up to the standard of Rockingham/Brands!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 10:21 (Ref:173192)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Are you mad ?!

It is far too obvious from the mess the national racing scene finds itself in today that we already have too many circuits and far too many series to go round, meaning small grids and less and less interest from the paying punter.

What we need to be doing is renovating our existing circuits and encouraging new people through the gates. Until we improve the facilities at most of the circuits, there's not a hope of getting new fans in...
Old 11 Nov 2001, 10:23 (Ref:173195)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Are you mad ?!

It is far too obvious from the mess the national racing scene finds itself in today that we already have too many circuits and far too many series to go round, meaning small grids and less and less interest from the paying punter.

What we need to be doing is renovating our existing circuits and encouraging new people through the gates. Until we improve the facilities at most of the circuits, there's not a hope of getting new fans in...
But is it really worth improving some circuits??? Both Thruxton and Castle Combe have very restricted planning laws which means only a handful of events each year. In these cases, would the investment be worth it!?
Old 12 Nov 2001, 20:04 (Ref:173753)   #8
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dont you dare say dont spend money on castle combe and thruxton!!

both are great places, good racing and more importantly SOUTH!

wouldnt say we need any more, altho rockingham was welcome addition.
they need improving a bit i guess. but not if it makes it more expensive for people, or competitors.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 01:57 (Ref:173872)   #9
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by THR
dont you dare say dont spend money on castle combe and thruxton!!

both are great places, good racing and more importantly SOUTH!

wouldnt say we need any more, altho rockingham was welcome addition.
they need improving a bit i guess. but not if it makes it more expensive for people, or competitors.

Provided the spend some cash on safety at both tracks and improve a few of the basic facilities then the will both be great

IMHO - Thruxton needs to redevelop it's pitlane and sort out the chicane.

Castle Combe need to add a few garages and a proper pitlane and sort out the bump at tower.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 12:03 (Ref:173965)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rlinter

Castle Combe need to add a few garages
Please NOT!
Pit lane garages are my no1 hate.The people who demolished perfectly good pits with spectator balconies on top,and replaced them with a row of lock up garages should be hanged IMHO
Old 13 Nov 2001, 13:31 (Ref:173988)   #11
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29

Please NOT!
Pit lane garages are my no1 hate.The people who demolished perfectly good pits with spectator balconies on top,and replaced them with a row of lock up garages should be hanged IMHO
If castle combe had a row of pit garages with a balcony on top that would be excellent as you would be able to see most of the track.

there is after all plenty of space to do it.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 15:18 (Ref:174020)   #12
AndyF
Veteran

Combe must be one of the only circuits without anything on the inside of the course, bar a few marshall's posts. Perhaps this space could be exploited?!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 15:50 (Ref:174029)   #13
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No it can't. The management at Combe applied for planning permission for moving the whole paddock and pits to the inside about 3 years ago, and the local planning authority told them to get stuffed. Pity really.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 20:09 (Ref:174155)   #14
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not too convinced that this country has too many circuits..

Whilst I agree that it may be diluting grids/encouraging more, smaller championships, on the other hand - one of the main reasons why racing in this country is so good, is the number of excellent circuits in relatively close proximity to each other. The facilities need to be improved at many of them, but each circuit has its own unique character and many would be sad to lose any of them.

The other thing is - a lot of people hope that having a good number of circuits, the competition would drive down the costs of running race meetings. Doesn't seem to be working though, does it?
Old 13 Nov 2001, 20:40 (Ref:174221)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The problem is though Chris, currently five of them are operated by a single company. Rumours are rife that Rockingham could become a future acquisition. This fact goes a fair way to explaining why circuit costs are not being driven down by market forces (though I do stop short of allegations of artificially high pricing because I don't agree with these)

The idea of more circuits is wonderful. On paper. Sadly though we can hardly sustain the number we have.

One thing which we all agree on I think is that there is currently far too many different national level race series. Obviously a reduction in these series will mean a reduction in income to these very circuits we're talking about - there could be a risk of losing one or two of the smaller circuits, especially in the current economic climate, so there really is no viable opportunity of additional UK circuits.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 21:19 (Ref:174259)   #16
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Correct. There are just too many race series. No one has a solution that would keep everyone happy, and in that respect I can't see anything happening anytime soon.

Like you say, if a couple of series were to be merged, the losers would be the circuits, and I can't imagine them liking that. They'd probably put the prices up again. Square one anyone?
Old 14 Nov 2001, 10:54 (Ref:174391)   #17
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without wishing to get involved in the too much racing discussion my guess is that most circuits would actually prefer fewer race meetings as test / track days are more lucrative
Old 14 Nov 2001, 16:07 (Ref:174487)   #18
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very true I believe.