Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 29 Dec 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1491663)   #1
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Formula One' for PSOne

Has anyone still got this game? I do, and I went on it this afternoon. The strange thing is that it was the first Playstation F1 game and it's still the one that I like the most! The F1 games on Playstation and PS2 since then, with the exception of F1 97, which was average, have been very disappointing.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1491667)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i have that, still play it occaisonally when i see it laying there. It's great fun especially with that priceless murray commentary. '97 was a good game also, but yeah, considering what the PS2 could have achieved in regards to the gameplay, it really failed to deliver.

Let's hope the PS3 puts right what was wrong with the PS2 games...
Old 29 Dec 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1491682)   #3
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 2005 I think is an improvement on the PS2 F1 games, but it's still boring and far too easy.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1491690)   #4
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i can go with that, and the damage was extremely dissapointing.
Alos, the major problem was sony having exclusive rights to the licence, okay so EA's attempts wern't great, but they were fun too. It would be cool tosee the makers of GTL or LFS have a bash at an F1 sim...
Old 30 Dec 2005, 01:16 (Ref:1491735)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately, I don't have either a PS One or the game anymore, but I remember drooling over the previews in the gaming mags at the time, seeing screenshots of the developers workstations with all the proper liveries (I can't believe its nearly 10 years now!). IIRC it was the first 'real' F1 game we had. I remember buying it the day it launched and playing it into the small hours.

Ahhhh... The memories!
Old 30 Dec 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1491782)   #6
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
That was the one based on the 1995 season?

Truly a mervellous game.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1491826)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

Yes. It's the only PSOne game I still go on regularly.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1491881)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its the best!
Old 30 Dec 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1491895)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, it was the first decent racing game I ever had (having had a NES prior to that - the racing games on that were poor!) and as such I played it to death, buying a couple of copies. I've still got it, and F1 '97, which I think was pretty much as good(you could actually lock the wheels slightly on that one!) except for the fact the fuel lines seems to fail too regularly if you put it on 'failures' mode!

I stopped buying the F1 games when I got F1'99, which was dreadful, and a real disappointment compared to the original. I haven't bought another F1 game since.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1491968)   #10
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got it and generally use it if I want to race as a Simtek or a Forti. I find two major problems though. Firstly, the only track I can drive around without crashing is Monaco, and secondly, if you lose the car's front wing, the car's handling improves.

Nice music by Joe Satriani and Steve Vai though. And of course Murray...
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1492095)   #11
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor
I've got it and generally use it if I want to race as a Simtek or a Forti. I find two major problems though. Firstly, the only track I can drive around without crashing is Monaco, and secondly, if you lose the car's front wing, the car's handling improves.
I tried a race at Brazil in a Footwork yesterday, but after 27 laps I spun at the last corner and lost my lead. So I gave up as it had taken me ages to reach the front!

Your second point, I've never found that! But then I rarely race with damage on, because I have lost wings due to cars sticking to the racing line in corners and ramming into me.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1492096)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
Yes, it was the first decent racing game I ever had (having had a NES prior to that - the racing games on that were poor!) and as such I played it to death, buying a couple of copies. I've still got it, and F1 '97, which I think was pretty much as good(you could actually lock the wheels slightly on that one!) except for the fact the fuel lines seems to fail too regularly if you put it on 'failures' mode!

I stopped buying the F1 games when I got F1'99, which was dreadful, and a real disappointment compared to the original. I haven't bought another F1 game since.
F1 97 is also good, but the fact that if you hit into another car it flies off the track is a bit annoying, especially on 2 player mode.

The PS2 F1 games aren't bad, they are just boring to play on.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1492168)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 and F1 '97 were the best. Classic games.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1492180)   #14
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah, i was thinking about the same thing the other nite. I remember that F1 97 was the first F1 game i bought and then being very unempressed with the looks of 98 and 99. Then i bought the original and relised that F1 97 was'nt really that much of an improvement. so, overall my faveourite to play is F1 97 but the best is the original.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1492199)   #15
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 98 was rubbish, the rest of the series afterr that was average. But the exclusive licence with the ps2 sucks.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1492359)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

9 or 10 years later and there hasn;t been a real improvement in the gameplay. Formula One's graphics aren't great obviously, but it's considerably better than the later Playstation offerings.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1492372)   #17
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aah I still have this on the PC. Fond memories, may have to wheel it out some time...
Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1492597)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The original F1 was what got me to get a PS1. I had previously never heard of it and was still playing Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage on the Mega Drive.

When I saw my half brother playing on F1 on his PS, there was one highly captivated 10 year old suddenly demanding a PS from his mum and dad!

That Christmas I, err, didn't get one. But a couple of months later my dad sold a load of stuff and got me one and I'll never forget it.

But I'm off topic here slightly. F1 the game was awesome. From the music to the graphics to the gameplay. The commentary was phenomenal. F1 was never equalled IMO.

I sold it in 1998, but in 2004 I bought a lot of old games again. F1 was the first. It got me into Joe Satriani and Steve Vai's work. It brought back childhood memories. It made me feel good. It hadn't changed one bit.

Thank you Psygnosis!

The subsequent games never matched it though. F1 '97 largely matched it, but had very bad pop-up and a nasty wet-weather glitch where your pit crew would send you out on slicks into a thunder storm time and again. It ruined the game.

F1 '98 was appalling. I played on it a couple of weeks back and simply could not believe it. The cars become solid cuboids of colour until you close in on them, when suddenly the detail pops up. The AI is shocking. The handling is akin to an oil tanker. Awful.

F1 '99 onwards were improvemenbts, but no F1 game has yet rekindled the magic of the game that so captivated me and my wide eyed mates back in 1996.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1492948)   #19
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
F1 '98 was appalling. I played on it a couple of weeks back and simply could not believe it. The cars become solid cuboids of colour until you close in on them, when suddenly the detail pops up. The AI is shocking. The handling is akin to an oil tanker. Awful.
yeah, i have to agree with that the overall apperance of the game was just wrong, the cars just did'nt look right.
Old 1 Jan 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1493004)   #20
safc_fan89
Veteran

F1 98 really was hopeless.

And I was really disappointed with F1 2000. The gameplay was slightly better, but the graphics really were poor, even by the Playstation's standards.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1494832)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Let's hope the PS3 puts right what was wrong with the PS2 games...
look at the second of these PS3 sreenshots.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1494989)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen the video of that, and I really hope it's an early version. It really does look dire. The cars don't move realisticly at all.

But then again, and Sony F1 game is bound to suck.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1495522)   #23
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first ever PS1 F1 game was utter brilliance, I used to get a link-up cable and play with two tvs in the living room with my cousin, was quality. I love the Jordan-Peugeots on that game. 97 wasn't bad, but i've always been bitter because of no 96 game, but 98 was shoddy and 99 although the safety car was good and the red flags etc... It was also quite poor. As for PS2 attempts, I found the EA games way to arcadey, and although the sony ones are ok for driving on, I hate the fundamental problems with them, it frustrates me because they could so easily have the facilities to address the issues.

Like damage, poor, poor, poor!
They could put certain tweaks in like, when you retire - you see the driver get out the car or something, make it more than racing. I also hate the rewards scheme on them, like you have to do time trials to win stuff, and when you win helmets you can't choose which one you want to wear. I also hate how riduculously easy it is to win in a Minardi.

Apart from that and more, thier not bad.

But, the original game was top class - and the Murray commentary was awesome.

PAUL
Old 5 Jan 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1495637)   #24
safc_fan89
Veteran

The Murray-Martin commentary on the 2001 version (PSOne) was terrible. On F1 and F1 97 it was great.

Perhaps any PS3 F1 games will be better. Or is that too much to hope for?
Old 6 Jan 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1496227)   #25
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I played the original F1 on PS1 a couple of months ago at a mates house, its still great! Especially like Murray's commentary, although the way I drove on it he just kept shouting "Oh dear, oh dear"! Its also interesting driving on the circuits in their older configerations, e.g at Montreal I was going along quite happily on the back straight when suddenly a ruddy great chicane appeared ahead! Cue front wing falling off in ensuing accident and Murray shouting "There was definatly contact there!"...