Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Dec 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2092658)   #1
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IRL news and notes

1. Speedtv.com have announced that Foyt Racing has confirmed Darren Manning for 2008. This was of course widely expected but it's always nice when 100% confirmation happens, especially in AOWR. Foyt are expected to run a 2nd car for the 500.

2. Speedtv also reports that Adam Andretti will run full time in the pro series next reason for a new team (i forget their name) It's another Andretti name in US racing, Adam is the nephew of Mario

3. Curt Cavin reports that upon communication with Bobby Rahal he has given no indication with him that he will be stepping down his Indycar operation. As it stands Rahal still plans to be a 2 car team and as went mostly unoticed by the obvious, Ethanol, RHR and RHL were all at a preseason test at Infineon.

Last edited by marcus; 21 Dec 2007 at 23:49.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2092742)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
1. Speedtv.com have announced that Foyt Racing has confirmed Darren Manning for 2008. This was of course widely expected but it's always nice when 100% confirmation happens, especially in AOWR. Foyt are expected to run a 2nd car for the 500.

2. Speedtv also reports that Adam Andretti will run full time in the pro series next reason for a new team (i forget their name) It's another Andretti name in US racing, Adam is the nephew of Mario

3. Curt Cavin reports that upon communication with Bobby Rahal he has given no indication with him that he will be stepping down his Indycar operation. As it stands Rahal still plans to be a 2 car team and as went mostly unoticed by the obvious, Ethanol, RHR and RHL were all at a preseason test at Infineon.
The first two points have been officially published on IRL website thenb they are for sure

About Rahal, that's good news actually, after the recent turmoil about the Scott Sharp affair

Last edited by marcus; 21 Dec 2007 at 23:49.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:52 (Ref:2092756)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1. Speedtv.com have announced that Foyt Racing has confirmed Darren Manning for 2008. This was of course widely expected but it's always nice when 100% confirmation happens, especially in AOWR. Foyt are expected to run a 2nd car for the 500
Any idea who? Little Al again perhaps?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2093399)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is the link to Curt Cavin's interview with Rahal.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1052/SPORTS01

Another interesting item in the "Etc." section of this week's "Pit Pass" is the anticipated return of Dave Mann (D.B. Mann Motorsports) as an owner in OW in the Indycar Series after a very long hiatus. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he ran cars for Gary Bettenhausen and John Paul Jr.

IIRC, his only IRL forays were with Billy Roe and maybe Dave Drinan in the late 1990s, but I don't recall them being under the auspices of Mann Motorsports.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 02:31 (Ref:2093628)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However it is believed that Ethanol requires a 2 car team for their sponsorship to be valid.

So does this mean

(1) pay driver, oh sorry in this series its called "driver with sponsorship'
(2) Technical partnership with another single car team, say panther.
(3) Ethanol to Panther and RLR gone
Old 22 Dec 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2093721)   #6
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Your getting desperate now DRT

1. Where does it say Ethanol require a two car team?
2. Panther are close (check their website) to annoucing a 2nd car, PJ Chesson is looking highley likley for this with Munther having the Pro Series seat
3. There is no indication that RLR are going away, as much as you would like it

Try again mate!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 12:35 (Ref:2093746)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, I am a bit confused as to where the "two car" requirement for Ethanol is coming from. I did not see it in the Cavin piece - is there a link to another article?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 12:51 (Ref:2093751)   #8
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Yeah, I am a bit confused as to where the "two car" requirement for Ethanol is coming from. I did not see it in the Cavin piece - is there a link to another article?

I do seem to remember that Ethanol first came into the series with Hemelgarn, a one car team

Then it switched to Dana's car at RLR, Rice and Patrick did not carry Ethanol sponsorship on that team

So where the "two car" thing comes from is beyond me, just fantasy I believe
Old 22 Dec 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2093846)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently ethanol want a 2 car team as they don't feel the team will be competitive otherwise.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 18:25 (Ref:2093867)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I guess the follow-up question then is: Do they want both cars in Ethanol livery or do they just want "their" car to be part of a two car team?

Makes sense that the multi-car operations tend to do better...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2093902)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the follow-up question then is: Do they want both cars in Ethanol livery or do they just want "their" car to be part of a two car team?

Makes sense that the multi-car operations tend to do better...
They just want their car to be part of a 2 car team. Looks like Rahal has to find another $5 million from someone and it doesn't look like there are many people around with that money to go open wheel racing.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2093911)   #12
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Any sources on that....
Old 22 Dec 2007, 23:56 (Ref:2093950)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Any sources on that....
Yup there is an article floating around about it, but I can't remember were I read it.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 05:29 (Ref:2094004)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Speed Tv and Robin Miller is the source of the 2 car issue.

And its Ethanol wanting their "1" car to be part of a two car team, not a two car Ethanol team. Strikingly similar to the CDW situation.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2094090)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Similar, to what the situation with CDW was, as in past tense. looks like CDW is going golfing...don't have a link, but there have been a number of mentions of this on various boards and in some of the articles I have seen.

Thanks for the clarification on the livery status...
Old 23 Dec 2007, 15:27 (Ref:2094137)   #16
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
John,

I'll give you one unpublished source: A good friend of mine, who once covered the PGA, was discussing golf with a marketing guy from CDW, and was told, "Looks like we'll be there next year." The conversation went on to all the reasons for dissatisfaction with their sponsorship in 2007, and the attractive demographics for professional golf. Strong impression given -- but not explicitly stated -- that they were done wth CC.

As I know who was involved, this conversation is totally reliable to me. As I won't mention names -- I'm quoting a friend without his specific permission -- others will disregard this as no names, no link, no sources, no credibility, my agenda, whatever.

Justin Wilson has proved to be a good driver in North America, and we can hope that he gets the well-paying seat he deserves, wherever that may be, and whether or not he brings any sponsor with him.

Fz.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2094237)   #17
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Interesting info Fazzaz

and agreed, be great to see Justin in a good seat

He's from Yorkshire like me and i've followed his progress with interest for years

NHL beckons..
Old 23 Dec 2007, 22:46 (Ref:2094239)   #18
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Here is the link to Curt Cavin's interview with Rahal.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1052/SPORTS01

Another interesting item in the "Etc." section of this week's "Pit Pass" is the anticipated return of Dave Mann (D.B. Mann Motorsports) as an owner in OW in the Indycar Series after a very long hiatus. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he ran cars for Gary Bettenhausen and John Paul Jr.

IIRC, his only IRL forays were with Billy Roe and maybe Dave Drinan in the late 1990s, but I don't recall them being under the auspices of Mann Motorsports.
Other teams i've heard about are Kingdom Racing and another team which had something to do with Jason Priestley who I believe is a big name celeb in the states, not heard of him myself

upon research I found web sites for both but not much happening on them so I didn't post anything about them

But the team you mention seems to be more promising if it's on Indystar

could be an interesting few months up to Homestead, should hear something from Beck and Fisher soon
Old 24 Dec 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2094458)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Justin won't go to the IRL. his brother is making his way to CC Atlantics and Justin can get a top ride in CC next year and dominate. Where as if he was to go to the IRL which is mainly ovals he isn't going to find a top ride and not lay down a serious threat especially as he won't know the circuits. JW will be in CC in 2008.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2094489)   #20
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Did anyone say he was going to the IRL luke?

Last time I checked NHL were a champ car team....
Old 24 Dec 2007, 15:59 (Ref:2094506)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh they are still CC are they? So those rumors that Haas had bought Dallaras and heading to the IRL are now false as they sounded now?
Old 24 Dec 2007, 20:04 (Ref:2094583)   #22
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Erm, not excatly mate

The strong rumour (fact) that Haas bought IRL equipment won't be seen until 2009, as everyone has said

NHL are a champ car team right now (fact) and will be in 2008 (we all expect)
Old 24 Dec 2007, 22:45 (Ref:2094627)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Erm, not excatly mate

The strong rumour (fact) that Haas bought IRL equipment won't be seen until 2009, as everyone has said

NHL are a champ car team right now (fact) and will be in 2008 (we all expect)
Seems awfully silly that Haas bought equipment now for 2009. You seem to state it as fact. What is your source? A team spokesperson already dismissed that rumor weeks ago.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 03:58 (Ref:2096041)   #24
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as long as Haas and co. make money (or at least break even) I am betting they will stay in champcar.

The future of champ car is with Kevin Kalkhoven who successfully challenged serious charges of fraud and insider trading, but probably spent millions on legal help. I doubt he has thought much of his series in the past few months.

I heard from someone on one of the top IRL teams (I know, rumors) that Kalkhoven had lost interest in champ car.

I guess we shall learn in the coming weeks.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 04:59 (Ref:2096049)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Kevin Kalkhoven who successfully challenged serious charges of fraud and insider trading,
LET'S GET ONE THING STRAIGHT!

Mr. Kalkoven was never charged by any criminal court on any charges of either fraud or insider trading! He was a defendant in a CIVIL trial filed by a pension fund in Connecticut.

Using the same warped thinking on the part of some regarding civil cases I ask since Mr. Rahal has been sued by Mr. Sharp and vice versa, HOW MUCH JAIL TIME ARE THEY FACING!