Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1886359)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Podiums

Mark Webber - 87 starts, 1 podium.
Lewis Hamilton - 2 starts, 2 podiums.

Discuss.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1886369)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are similarities, their team mate was always one place higher on the podium.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1886372)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 8 Apr 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1886383)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Both have team mates that drove/drive a Mclaren.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1886407)   #5
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
both earned points on their debut
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1886413)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fernando Alonso - 91 Starts, 40 Podiums, 17 Wins, 2 WDCs
Kimi Räikkönen - 107 Starts, 38 Podiums, 10 Wins
Rubens Barrichello - 238 Starts. 61 Podiums, 9 Wins
David Coulthard - 214 Starts, 61 Podiums, 13 Wins
Ralf Schumacher - 167 Starts, 27 podiums, 6 Wins
Giancarlo Fisichella - 181 Starts, 18 Podiums, 3 Wins
Jenson Button - 122 Starts, 15 Podiums, 1 Win
Nick Heidfeld - 120 Starts, 5 Podiums
Takuma Sato - 73 Starts, 1 Podium
Nico Rosberg - 20 Starts, 0 Podiums
Anthony Davidson - 5 Starts, 0 Podiums
Michael Schumacher - 250 Starts, 154 Podiums, 91 Wins, 7 WDCs

Lots of different numbers. What was the point of this thread again?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:11 (Ref:1886415)   #7
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
both earned points on their debut
One in a very good car and one in a very bad car.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1886426)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Comparable situations obviously!

It's interesting this. I wonder if our resident statistician, Schummy, can come up with a "hype/results co-efficient".

It must be pretty galling for folk like Jenson Button also, who waited over four seasons to make the podium. Although he has more than one at least, which is some consolation!

But yes, two starts, two podiums. Very impressive indeed.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1886433)   #9
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Mark Webber - 87 starts, 1 podium.
Lewis Hamilton - 2 starts, 2 podiums.

Discuss.
Well, after analysing that very complicated data, using various methods and aparatus/software I have reached a conclusion. Now I might be wrong on this, but here goes.

Hamilton is a)in a better car than Webber ever was
b) a better driver than Webber ever was.

That's what I came up with anyway
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:47 (Ref:1886437)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Similarities : both were hyped immensely by their respective medias.
Differences: Only one has lived up to it so far.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1886440)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hamilton started in a Mclaren. Webbers first 2 races were in a Minardi. If Webber had started in one of the best 4 cars on the grid it's quite possible he could have got podiums as well.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1886449)   #12
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_kyle
Well, after analysing that very complicated data, using various methods and aparatus/software I have reached a conclusion. Now I might be wrong on this, but here goes.

That's what I came up with anyway
100% agree.

And repeat after dsg: what is the point of this tread?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1886455)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What is more pointless? Starting a pointless thread or joining a pointless thread!

I think there are several points behind the posting of this thread. Especially when you have a feel for 10-10ths. Even considered straight this thread includes many discussion points. How good is the rookie Hamilton compared to an established racer like Webber? The differences in how the two careers have developed are striking and worth discussion.

Of course the main point is a bit of playful banter. This may go unnoticed if you take it too seriously
Old 8 Apr 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1886461)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
At the moment the point of this thread is to have a quick dig at our Ozzie cousins while they're mostly tucked up in bed.

I believe that Webber was under Flav's wing when he came into F1,and for one reason or another wasn't/isn't considered good enough for a seat at Renault.There may have been contractual issues,but as we've seen before,nothing that can't be got around to get what you want.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1886499)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if anything I'm not sure that the recent race was that favorable to Hamilton.
Pros: Once again he proves that he's quiet good at dicing it up with other cars on the track. He doesn't cave under pressure.
Cons: Alonso obliterated him in the first stint. 3 laps of extra fuel don't come anywhere close to accounting for it. Massa was held up more by Hamilton than by Heidfeld.

What about comparing Hamilton's early performances to Kubica's and Nico's first races. You may have to forget citizenship for a second.

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Apr 2007 at 16:52.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1886509)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
At the moment the point of this thread is to have a quick dig at our Ozzie cousins while they're mostly tucked up in bed.

I believe that Webber was under Flav's wing when he came into F1,and for one reason or another wasn't/isn't considered good enough for a seat at Renault.There may have been contractual issues,but as we've seen before,nothing that can't be got around to get what you want.
So basically you're saying that this one will keep me wake til late and watching over it when the storm comes in (looks around searching for the bat)... Oh GOD I love this forum !
Old 8 Apr 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1886516)   #17
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most "recently" ultra-hyped drivers I recall were Kimi "the next Mika", Button, Webber and Hamilton. I always feel bad for those guys who have to endure that kind of extra pressure. On the way back machine, I recall Rubens being the "next Senna". That didn't work out too well either.
The hyped-to-succesful ratio is not good.
But when there are normally only two or four cars that are championship material, that's what you get.
I like to look at the drivers in the B & C teams to see the guys who, in my opinion, have potential but are unlikely to get the break they deserve.
That's why I like guys like Heidfield & Wurz & Panis. Good solid drivers, IMHO, who did not get into a championship team. Still some time for Nick though, maybe.
My point? None. What was this thread about again?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1886535)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure Craig's post was just mischievously 'tongue in cheek' because there really is no comparison between today's front running McLaren and yesteryear's grid propping Minardi.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1886550)   #19
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
It's interesting this. I wonder if our resident statistician, Schummy, can come up with a "hype/results co-efficient".
No.

I would be killed by a half of people here.

Anyway, joining this "pointless" thread , I basically agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_kyle
I think Lewis is the best rookie/prospect since Raikkonen/Alonso. Webber is a *very* decent F1 driver, but I don't see him better than Fisi or Coulthard (in his zenit), which is not bad at all. I would be (here and now) somewhat surprised if LH doesn't get a WDC someday, and I would be surprised if Mark gets it.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1886560)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
I think Lewis is the best rookie/prospect since Raikkonen/Alonso. Webber is a *very* decent F1 driver, but I don't see him better than Fisi or Coulthard (in his zenit), which is not bad at all. I would be (here and now) somewhat surprised if LH doesn't get a WDC someday, and I would be surprised if Mark gets it.
Excellent summary. Says it all.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1886612)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton - Straight into the second best car on the grid

Webber - Best car he drove was the Williams two season's ago

Thought I do think Craig is just winding it up a little!
Old 9 Apr 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1887001)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
But yes, two starts, two podiums. Very impressive indeed.
If only he had acheived pole at Melbourne, we would be calling him the new JV.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1887047)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
sorry about the lack of caps but my cat is sitting on me and i have a coffee in one hand.

i don´t know to what extent webber is hyped up by the australian media, but hamilton is inevitably hyped up because if you were going to pick anyone who was likely to become a top-liner of the drivers coming through the ranks, it may as well be him. you have to chuckle at the idea that he would´ve been better off testing for a year because he´s not ready, or the idea that he should join a backmarker team because there´s less pressure (not true- this is F1, there is inevitable pressure.)

however i think it was the daily telegraph that i saw on bbc news this morning with a headline advertising the sports section saying ´lewis joins the grand prix greats´...this is simply not the case, not yet. i don´t feel this raises the pressure because as i say, of course there is pressure on him, but it means when hamilton has a performance that doesn´t match their lofty expectations, the press will lay into him which is unfair because he does something that doesn´t match their barometer of expectations.

regarding webber, i feel many here under-rate him, and in response many of those who do rate him respond explicitly with explanations as to why he´s a quality driver. you´re often left with very little middle ground. i feel he´s good though. not one of the most impressive in the junior formulae, but he´s solid now. and perhaps quicker than coulthard.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1887054)   #24
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nah, we'll just talk about the cricket.

tho' it is interesting that on other message boards they are called "trolls" - here it seems to be "Race Official"!!!

Last edited by Rick; 9 Apr 2007 at 09:36.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1887062)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
tho' it is interesting that on other message boards they are called "trolls" - here it seems to be "Race Official"!!!
Spot on! It seems that round these parts you´re only allowed to be provocative if you´re a mod or admin.