Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3321043)   #1
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another A series problem - backfiring

Hello again....
The Mini 1275GT has been running perfectly since I took Gordon's advice on the starting problem, Ta!

BUT now....

The other day the engine started perfectly but when it got warm it cut out occasionally and backfired through the exhaust, much to the amusement of people following me!

If the engine died totally, it was easy enough to restart but then started backfiring....

I assumed that the valve clearances were too tight and that heat expansion was causing the exhaust valves to stay open.

I reset the tappets, which were a bit tight but it made no difference.

I've checked the plugs, points and dizzy timing and all seems ok.

Anyone have any ideas where to go next?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3321281)   #2
sebring115
Rookie

sebring115 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Air leak maybe, I would have said ignition timing but you checked that. Is it at all revs or just when you get higher up the rev range?

Good luck

Mark
Old 21 Oct 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3321285)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Just wait for Gordon to tell you what's wrong again, but this time, believe him and more importantly, follow his advice straight away!
Old 22 Oct 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3321784)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How I'm supposed to diagnose it from a distance christ knows !
Can you plug the ECU into the phone and download it to my workshop ?
Oh it's an old Mini, possibly a condenser (are the points black ?
Could be the coil (I trust you are not running 12 volts into it) as I seem to remember it's got a cold start system on it.
I wouldn't think it's fuel related as you say it starts straight away.
Just bung an old 12v coil on it and juice it up from a 12v feed to see if it runs OK.
Just had a thought, a lot of these replacement coils leak the oil out if they are fitted on their sides or upside down, that will cause this problem.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 22 Oct 2013 at 18:45.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Oct 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3321880)   #5
Chris Roden
Racer

Thanks chaps....

I'll fit a new condenser and see what happens, yes the points contacts were black.

Today I went over everything again, it started instantly and ran perfectly so I left it running until it was hot. It picked up and ran cleanly, all seemed ok.

I let it cool and then took it out for a run, within yards it was popping and banging again, so it seems to be a problem under load.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3321906)   #6
Chris Roden
Racer

If the condenser doesn't solve the problem, I'll swap out the coil for a known good one.

Gordon remembers well, it is a ballast resistor system, but meter readings are the same as they were when I implemented Gordons advice.

(I tried to edit my last post but wifi kept crashing)
Old 23 Oct 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3322042)   #7
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Classic symptoms of a condenser problem, it's best to replace the points at the same time as the condenser and vice versa.
Old 23 Oct 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3322320)   #8
Chris Roden
Racer

I had a new condenser in stock so fitted that, engine started fine and a mile, or so, trip showed no evidence of the problem. I'll take the advice and fit new points when convenient, but, for the moment, all seems fine.

Thanks for all your help, I'm learning a lot.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3322738)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Blimey I only wish things are as simple now as they were years back !
We have now got to the stage where some cars are being scrapped or costing more than the car is worth to sort out some engine problems.
Certain "lateish" common rail diesel cars are pretty bad for this and taking into consideration the price of diesel vs petrol vs MPG there isn't much difference in fuel running cost.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Oct 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3324876)   #10
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just popped in for a quick visit.

Funny, innit, Gordon, how with all these cleaver whizzy things on cars today, everyone (except you and I ) seem to have lost sight of the basics.
In reality, nothing much has changed since Fred Lanchester's day in engineering concept.

However, unless they can plug in a code reader.................
Old 29 Oct 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3324924)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
Funny, innit, Gordon, how with all these cleaver whizzy things on cars today, everyone (except you and I ) seem to have lost sight of the basics.
I think there are quite a few on tenths that still know about all the old stuff but let's face it I don't think that a new road car has been made in the last 20 odd years that has had points fitted as standard.
I think overall that "most" modern cars are reliable and don't break down as much as the "old days", the only downside is that when they do they can't normally be repaired beside the road and cost a fortune to fix.

While I'm on my soapbox, can anyone tell me the reason why some idiot at Renault designed the late Clio so that you have to take the front off to replace a headlamp bulb !!!! I know some other cars are not exactly easy" and it makes me smile that you are supposed to carry spare bulbs on the continent as the "normal" driver has no chance of fitting them
Old 30 Oct 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3325205)   #12
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
While I'm on my soapbox, can anyone tell me the reason why some idiot at Renault designed the late Clio so that you have to take the front off to replace a headlamp bulb
They're French....
Old 30 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3325219)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
While I'm on my soapbox, can anyone tell me the reason why some idiot at Renault designed the late Clio so that you have to take the front off to replace a headlamp bulb !!!! I know some other cars are not exactly easy" and it makes me smile that you are supposed to carry spare bulbs on the continent as the "normal" driver has no chance of fitting them
We've got a Clio 2 and 3, the bulbs are easy enough to change except for the N/S Clio3 but I know a contortionist with very small hands to change that one.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 18:56 (Ref:3325232)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Sorry it was a Modus I was working on (brain fade) when working on Froggie cars !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 30 Oct 2013 at 19:11.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3325237)   #15
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think there are quite a few on tenths that still know about all the old stuff but let's face it I don't think that a new road car has been made in the last 20 odd years that has had points fitted as standard.
I think overall that "most" modern cars are reliable and don't break down as much as the "old days", the only downside is that when they do they can't normally be repaired beside the road and cost a fortune to fix.
My son's Mini Cooper S Turbo R56 being an excellent exemplar.

Well, it is said that BMW means "Bring A Massive Wad!"

Quote:
Minds me to recall trying to change a battery on an early Triumph Stag. First, remove the power steering pump..........

And a fanbelt adjustment on a Dino Ferrari 246 GT.

Jack up car: remove offside rear wheel.

Remove nasty cover from wheelarch, having first scraped off all the mud and junk to actually find the PK screws.

Adjust fanbelt using new midget Japanese contortionist mechanic.

Put it all back together again.

Fun.........