Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2002, 02:06 (Ref:214356)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alesi is back...in F1...in a Mclaren!

Go on...read about it is Autosport.com

Alesi, due to his connections with Mercedes as DTM driver, would be assigned a one-off testing with the Mclaren team. This announcement follows after a seat-fitting session a few days ago which led to much speculations.

It's strange that they got Alesi to do testing, when Alesi isn't the best technical driver around... But boy, isn't it time Alesi get the feeling of driving a top F1 car! Good for him...maybe if he could better DC's time, he can teach DC one lesson: "An older driver can still whip the A&& off you, Coulty!"

Old 12 Feb 2002, 09:11 (Ref:214426)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope he goes faster than DC and Kimi (with the same fuel load etc) just to prove he still has it.

Good to see him get his rear into a competitive car again. Pity it's not for a season
Old 12 Feb 2002, 12:41 (Ref:214490)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
He's got the test because of his drive for Mercedes in the DTM series this year. They (Mercedes) also wanted some feedback from a driver who has driven on Michelin tyres.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 13:20 (Ref:214520)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'd seriously love to see him blow DC and Kimi into the reeds (but I also seriously doubt it will happen!).
Old 12 Feb 2002, 13:27 (Ref:214525)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi will test the McLaren after the Australian GP. I agree with Aysedasi though, he will probably not be quicker than DC and Kimi! (Though I would love to see it happen...)
Old 12 Feb 2002, 13:43 (Ref:214538)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why WON'T he be any quicker?? As we saw last year, Kimi is GOOD, but not that great. Heidfeld was better. And whilst Heidfeld is undoubtedly a better driver now than he was at Prost, Alesi still could pull the old moves and was usually better than NH. So.... anything's possible!!

Oh OK, may be not....
Old 12 Feb 2002, 13:55 (Ref:214546)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be interested in how he does
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 12 Feb 2002, 14:43 (Ref:214581)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he makes DC look a fool then i'll be happy.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 16:03 (Ref:214618)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren Mercedes have since announced that this is a 'one off' test and that Jean Alesi will not be taking on testing duties for the team. They are interested in his feedback of the Michelin tyres against those of Bridgestone.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 16:07 (Ref:214621)   #10
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
If he makes DC look a fool then i'll be happy.

yeah!
Old 12 Feb 2002, 18:16 (Ref:214697)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi has no chance of beating DC or Kimi.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:23 (Ref:214829)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ooooh this is a juicy rumour oh god!!! this stuff is gold dust!!! this is what i want to happen - alesi is going to be the test driver, but kimi has a really dissapointing season so they chuck alesi into the car to see what he does, wins everything and becomes world champion!!!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:35 (Ref:214842)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
ooooh this is a juicy rumour oh god!!! this stuff is gold dust!!! this is what i want to happen - alesi is going to be the test driver, but kimi has a really dissapointing season so they chuck alesi into the car to see what he does, wins everything and becomes world champion!!!
who sang that song "dream.........dream,dream,dream????"
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:36 (Ref:214843)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the nearest I can get quickly in the circumstances......

Man those 917's could fly.........

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2010 at 20:44.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:38 (Ref:214844)   #15
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought we got rid of Alesi once and for all.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 20:51 (Ref:214869)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash and Burn
I thought we got rid of Alesi once and for all.
but he deserves a place in F1 more than ALL of the pay drivers!!!!!!!
Old 12 Feb 2002, 21:03 (Ref:214887)   #17
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
um
Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:03 (Ref:214960)   #18
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
mr. v, we can all dream!!! c'mon alesi finally becoming world champion after years of foiled ambition?!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 14 Feb 2002, 03:35 (Ref:215621)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
McLaren Mercedes have since announced that this is a 'one off' test and that Jean Alesi will not be taking on testing duties for the team. They are interested in his feedback of the Michelin tyres against those of Bridgestone.
Stephen, I'm not sure I buy it. Alesi isn't known for the quality of his technical feedback. I have my own suspicions. I think MaCarroon doesn't feel Wurz to be a competant reserve and they are getting Alesi into a Mac in case Kimi doesn't cut it. Its a contingency plan, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

who sang that song "dream.........dream,dream,dream????"
I believe its the Everly Brothers...

Last edited by EERO; 14 Feb 2002 at 03:37.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 11:25 (Ref:215760)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
You could be right Eero, but somehow I can't quite get my head round why they would take Alesi in favour of other much younger drivers who are desperate for the job?

Yes indeed, it was the Everly Brothers, Phil and Don...
Old 14 Feb 2002, 11:43 (Ref:215770)   #21
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
You could be right Eero, but somehow I can't quite get my head round why they would take Alesi in favour of other much younger drivers who are desperate for the job?
Experience? I like Eero's theory better. Let's face it, McLaren hasn't exactly got the most potent duo out there, and even though I doubt Alesi would be quicker in a one-off test (getting used to the car and all that), over the course of a full season I would certainly rate Alesi higher than both DC and Kimi.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:01 (Ref:215781)   #22
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a long time I have a dream.
In that dream, my favorite drivers (Mika and Jean) are driving in my favorite team (Mac) and it all looks like it looked when Senna and Prost drove in Macs. Back then I supported Prost over Senna, but in this dream, I just can't make up my mind.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:06 (Ref:215784)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
so it wasn't a good end to the season for you ljakse with your 2 favourites (mika and jean) both out of F1 this season, glad it wasn't Mclaren who folded like prost otherwise i think you may have been totally lost!

which driver's going to replace mika and jean in your affections then?
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:12 (Ref:215788)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go for it Jean.

Looks like many pople have Alesi in their dreams...

and I thought only Liz had this kind of fantasies
Old 14 Feb 2002, 12:39 (Ref:215800)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
so it wasn't a good end to the season for you ljakse with your 2 favourites (mika and jean) both out of F1 this season, glad it wasn't Mclaren who folded like prost otherwise i think you may have been totally lost!

which driver's going to replace mika and jean in your affections then?
It really was a nightmare season ending for me - those two guys leaving and TGF taking another title.

Partially, JPM took a small piece of it, but he is in the oposition, so he is not really there - I just like the way he drives.

And, oh God, do I hope Kimi will meet the expectations.