Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 13 Jan 2002, 13:37 (Ref:197992)   #1
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 2001 Track Setups

ok, i am having a tough time of trying to race on most cicuits, but my setups seem to make the job 10 times harder and i cant seem to catch up!!! if anybody has any decent setups that i can use then i would be greatful - even just giving me a guesstimate of what grip levels i should have etc...cheers!
Old 14 Jan 2002, 13:46 (Ref:198529)   #2
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have the same problem too...got the answer already?
Old 18 Jan 2002, 19:01 (Ref:200744)   #3
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
nah, its easier if you do all of the driving school before, but its still pretty hard - i reckon its a learning curve thing!!!
Old 20 Jan 2002, 04:44 (Ref:201570)   #4
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

the cars is sliding all over the race track, i guess we just have to ease off you with the acceleration pedal
Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:26 (Ref:202426)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i tried for the first time today in simulation mode (ps2) ans left the car on it's default settings and still oversteered all over the place.......good fun tho!!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 00:05 (Ref:202484)   #6
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really? i find most cars understeer too much or just right for me. im also using a ff wheel ... so ...

im using the ps2 version by the way
Old 23 Jan 2002, 19:31 (Ref:203322)   #7
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
yeah thats wierd - in the fast corners, the cars tend to be either pefect or like very much stick into the tarmac - under braking is the worst...its like you come around a corner into a slow corner you brake, the car slides all over the place, meet the apex - opposite lock it a few times, get on the gas and you spin - ive tried getting on the gas later but it makes you so much slower
Old 23 Jan 2002, 19:49 (Ref:203338)   #8
Es Nes
Veteran

mr v, if you want a little bit more controll over the rear. try lowering the rear ride height and or stiffening the rear stabilizer (sway bar?) also, ive found its best to almost always have more rear df than front. ive also had a lot of spins with the default brake bias. ive not turned down the strenght, but, setting the balance to 45 stops them. if you ever set the df below 13, you WILL need to change the bias or the instant you get hard on the brakes youll be around. another tip for when youve lower df is to increase the bum stop number. ive also noticed that tends to clam the steering down slightly. i know it helped me go down suzukas start finish staight straighter ... lol

Last edited by Es Nes; 23 Jan 2002 at 19:52.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 07:37 (Ref:203523)   #9
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Es Nes
also, ive found its best to almost always have more rear df than front.
when you say more downforce, what does that mean? higher downforce?
Old 24 Jan 2002, 18:07 (Ref:203743)   #10
Es Nes
Veteran

yeah, have higher numbers on the rear than the front. on some tracks, even 14/14 made the car impossible to drive. turn in and around she went. but, now that i know a little more than i did then. you could probably lower the rear ride height until it does become drivable ....
Old 27 Jan 2002, 00:25 (Ref:205007)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Es Nes
mr v, if you want a little bit more controll over the rear. try lowering the rear ride height and or stiffening the rear stabilizer (sway bar?) also, ive found its best to almost always have more rear df than front. ive also had a lot of spins with the default brake bias. ive not turned down the strenght, but, setting the balance to 45 stops them. if you ever set the df below 13, you WILL need to change the bias or the instant you get hard on the brakes youll be around. another tip for when youve lower df is to increase the bum stop number. ive also noticed that tends to clam the steering down slightly. i know it helped me go down suzukas start finish staight straighter ... lol
cheers for that es nes, gotta get myself a steering wheel tho, much more realistic i should imagine! another thing with f1 2001 on the ps2 (because it's through the tv) is my missus walking in front of me!! i try telling her that jpm doesn't have people walking across the track in front of him in canada, but she won't have it!!
Old 27 Jan 2002, 02:23 (Ref:205040)   #12
Es Nes
Veteran

yes, wheel is another must. lol
Old 27 Jan 2002, 16:11 (Ref:205340)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
i now know why jpm looks soooooooooooooo larey in his car, he uses my set up's!!!

with a few alteration's i managed to get within about 2 seconds for the pole time of barrichello at my first proper attempt. (in oz)

i found that it's better to brake deep upto the corner and allow the car to have it's head thro the corners and accelarate on exit, but for this i had to set the gearbox on long ratio to minimalise wheelspin, no traction control it would seem! (note to myself...swap williams for ferrari next time)

by the way, when you said stiffen the rear stabilizer es nes, i take it you meant the anti roll bar!
Old 27 Jan 2002, 18:38 (Ref:205424)   #14
Es Nes
Veteran

oops, yeah, anti-roll bar. i couldnt remember what the game called it and couldnt check because i was playing mgs2

Last edited by Es Nes; 27 Jan 2002 at 18:39.
Old 28 Jan 2002, 00:45 (Ref:205585)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
set up that put me 3rd on the grid at australia (albeit on easy level.but you've gotta start somewhere!)

everything left as default unless stated.

tyres.......................soft
wings.............front 15 rear 18
ride height.......front 29 rear 33
anti roll bar..............rear 104 n/mm
brake bias..........40
gearbox.............long ratio

arse out action.....LOTS
Old 28 Jan 2002, 21:53 (Ref:206018)   #16
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
cheers for that Mr. v

do i sense a tad of over-steering in the setup?!
Old 29 Jan 2002, 16:34 (Ref:206297)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
cheers for that Mr. v

do i sense a tad of over-steering in the setup?!
spinning like a top springs to mind, i did try putting the front and rear wings both down to 14 and never made it past the first bend!!
Old 31 Jan 2002, 18:48 (Ref:207552)   #18
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
ive got my thrustmaster and it seems to be working - im already 3 seconds faster than i was with the joypad!!!

this is because with the joypad, it went to full lock everytime you pressed it, whereas the steering wheel is a hundred times more smooth - its a bit hard to get used to the pedals as well!!!
Old 9 Feb 2002, 19:42 (Ref:213019)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
the things i do for you guys in the name of science (fun more like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

just took pole at canada, my car set up as follows:-

tyres............soft
front wing.......14
rear wing........17
front spring....108
rear spring.....115
front a/roll....226
rear a/roll......98
brake bias.......53
gears...........long

all over settings as default!

but do yourselves a favour, if you want some fun during practise, set the brake bias to 60 with these settings, i can guarentee that colin macrae has never been this sideways under braking!!!

enjoy!