Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Jun 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3828910)   #326
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Those statements are bold.
One thing everyone needs to remember is that racing in the US is not like it is in Europe. Using European ideas in the US sounds like a good idea but in the end, does not result in long term success.

One of the main issues in the US comes down to competition. Too much money is spent on all of the various road course based series'. Then too much money is spent on non road course series'. In Europe they don't have the competition of dirt track, drag racing and oval racing. In the US, we do and thus that money is spent elsewhere. As for road racing, contrary to the idea that it's dying, it's actually is thriving quite well but the two big pro series' are not seeing the money. They have flatlined even though there are more and more people running on road courses.

Another main issue is the size of the US. I have documented before about the travel differences and it's not even close. The US requires much more travel and thus, the cost. This is why many teams do only what's in their area. A guy running in SCCA club will put the same amount of miles as a team does for the ADAC Masters.

Then there's the crew. In Europe, you can get crew to work for cheap because most have lots more vacation than they do in the US. In the US, you got to pay a guy more because he takes off work and is not going to get paid from his normal employer. Daytona and Sebring will run through the paid vacation for most crew guys. PWC will get there by the 5th event. I can get a really talented engineer from Germany to work for next to nothing because he will have so much time off that he still gets paid, has healthcare and retirement when he's working for me and I don't have to spend a euro.

In the end, these are things that the SRO cannot change. They are ingrained in our country. I suspect we will see the same thing go on and celebrate over and over again with 500 thumbs up when a new team appears. That will be "success" yet we forget about the one that left which gives us a net gain of zero.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3828916)   #327
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I was surpised I haven't seen many Scion or Subaru racing in SCCA or NASA events. I've seen a few on entry lists but fewer than I would have expected but then it is one of the newer cars with the computer systems that may not lend itself to homebuilts and the bigger names in racing have aftermarket parts networks.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
I can tell you why. There's 28 years of Miatas and around 5 for the 86 platform. Just because you make a neat car, it doesn't mean that it'll be on the Miata level in a short period of time. Top it off the 86 owners are not rich like the Porsche ones. If you want to race a recent year Cayman with a PDK, it's easy because everything you need is there and already developed. That because Porsche owners pay, 86 owners do not. Even with Miatas, most are from 1990 - 2000 and were bought for around $1K then turned into a racecar.

People stick with what is popular and cheap.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 04:09 (Ref:3829820)   #328
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the 40-car entry list for the next two rounds of GT/GTA/GTCup (15 entries) and GTS/GTSA (25 entries) at Road America next weekend. Both classes are racing together for the first time on this the longest track that PWC visits this year!

http://files.world-challenge.com/eve...-EntryList.pdf

Last edited by cbbrit; 16 Jun 2018 at 04:15.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3831402)   #329
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
Here is the 40-car entry list for the next two rounds of GT/GTA/GTCup (15 entries) and GTS/GTSA (25 entries) at Road America next weekend. Both classes are racing together for the first time on this the longest track that PWC visits this year!

Great to see confirmation of the Flying Lizard Porsche GT3 entry for Andy Wilzoch.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3833337)   #330
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could probably start a 2019 Silly Season thread coming during/after the Portland weekend
Old 6 Jul 2018, 23:56 (Ref:3835094)   #331
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the entry list for Portland next weekend:

Old 15 Jul 2018, 04:53 (Ref:3836728)   #332
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
SRO and PWC outline plans for 2019:

https://racer.com/2018/07/14/sro-and...-season-plans/