Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 May 2016, 04:58 (Ref:3641039)   #1
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James Warburton declares V8 Supercars the best motorsports ‘product on the planet’

V8s the best motorsport on earth says Warburton

Quote:
“There has never been a stronger time in the sport,’’ Warburton said.

Last edited by mayhem; 12 May 2016 at 05:24.
Old 12 May 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3641046)   #2
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly the best touring car series and not many other series can boast events such as Clipsal and Bathurst.
Old 12 May 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3641054)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I declare this statement to be hyperbole
Old 12 May 2016, 07:13 (Ref:3641059)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Reading the actual quotes from him, he was talking about the number of different winners so far this year and how close the competition is.
In that regard, I get what he means but for sure there's some hyperbole in it, nothing unusual for the head of a series to be doing that tbh.
Old 12 May 2016, 07:40 (Ref:3641062)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not this planet.
Old 12 May 2016, 08:45 (Ref:3641071)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was getting interviewed by one of my employee's, on a TV show about the business I run, i would likely be saying exactly the same sort of stuff.

Doesn't mean it actually means anything though....
Old 12 May 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3641091)   #7
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Spoken by a true marketing hack. Preaching his spin to a domestic market of V8SC fans, media execs, sponsors and stakeholders.
The guy is good, I'll give him that.
OK crowds, OK ratings (if you can believe them) and somehow he can convert that into "Best series on the planet".....
He maybe should have gone with best in Australia, instead of, best on the planet.
He's obviously from "planet Warburton", where there's lot's of rainbows and everyone has a pony.
As I said, his bleating is for the locals to chew over and savor. Has this bloke never watched WEC, BlancpainGT, MotoGP or any one of many more m/sport categories around the world?.....obviously not!
Old 12 May 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3641093)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Spoken by a true marketing hack. Preaching his spin to a domestic market of V8SC fans, media execs, sponsors and stakeholders.
The guy is good, I'll give him that.
OK crowds, OK ratings (if you can believe them) and somehow he can convert that into "Best series on the planet".....
He maybe should have gone with best in Australia, instead of, best on the planet.
He's obviously from "planet Warburton", where there's lot's of rainbows and everyone has a pony.
As I said, his bleating is for the locals to chew over and savor. Has this bloke never watched WEC, BlancpainGT, MotoGP or any one of many more m/sport categories around the world?.....obviously not!
Have you watched those events, which one of them has had 8 winners in the first 9 rounds? None (well to be fair none have had that many events.) but Warburton was talking about variety of winners in his comment and history shows those events you mentioned will not have that many winners after 9 rounds
Old 12 May 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3641108)   #9
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Have you watched those events, which one of them has had 8 winners in the first 9 rounds? None (well to be fair none have had that many events.) but Warburton was talking about variety of winners in his comment and history shows those events you mentioned will not have that many winners after 9 rounds
When the Supercar rules are as tight and contrived as they are, should the closeness of the times and variety of winners really be a surprise?? It would be a massive failure of the regs if the current situation wasn't happening.

The likes of WEC and MotoGP mentioned above are proper motor racing contests with less emphasis on "parity" and "entertainment", and more emphasis on "racing" and "sport"

Supercars provide a good show, and is fun to watch, but you can't really take it all too seriously given the rules they play by.
Old 12 May 2016, 12:02 (Ref:3641113)   #10
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Yeah, and I used to think World Championship Wrestling was fair dinkum too.
(when I was 10 years old )
Old 12 May 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3641117)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
James Warburton declares V8 Supercars the best motorsports ‘product on the planet’

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Certainly the best touring car series and not many other series can boast events such as Clipsal and Bathurst.

Indeed. There's a lot of things wrong with the category but it's far away the best touring car series in the world. For sheer numbers, factory v privateers, the big events like Clipsal and Bathurst etc. DTM cars are pretty cool but the racing is boring to watch. BTCC isn't too bad but the cars don't have that visual excitement that the V8s and DTM have nor the depth of talent. WTCC is in the same situation.

Best Motorsport involves a lot of hyperbole as you can't seriously compare touring cars with Sportscars with open wheelers with ??? Etc
Old 12 May 2016, 13:52 (Ref:3641133)   #12
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the V8 circus is as good as it is due to our isolation from the rest of the world and the lack of other big categories.
So we end up with a large majority of our top drivers, teams and personnel all in the one series.
Old 12 May 2016, 17:15 (Ref:3641166)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Indeed. There's a lot of things wrong with the category but it's far away the best touring car series in the world. For sheer numbers, factory v privateers, the big events like Clipsal and Bathurst etc. DTM cars are pretty cool but the racing is boring to watch. BTCC isn't too bad but the cars don't have that visual excitement that the V8s and DTM have nor the depth of talent. WTCC is in the same situation.

Best Motorsport involves a lot of hyperbole as you can't seriously compare touring cars with Sportscars with open wheelers with ??? Etc
Absolutely. Fantastic cars, fantastic tracks, fantastic racing, fantastic personalities, fantastic media package.
Old 12 May 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3641192)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Haters gonna hate but if you compare the total package V8SC is one of the best maybe even the best series in the world.
Old 12 May 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3641194)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Haters gonna hate but if you compare the total package V8SC is one of the best maybe even the best series in the world.
Old 12 May 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3641229)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its amusing the the OS posters talk up the series while a number of Aussie posters talk it down. The great Aussie tall poppy syndrome I guess
Old 13 May 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3641249)   #17
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm amazed anyone is outraged by a CEO saying his company is the best.
Old 13 May 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3641254)   #18
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has been the best touring car series for most of the past 15 years.Closeness of results and racing can't be the sole or even major criteria though or Moto 3 would slay everything else.
From a sporting sense it is a long way behind F1,Moto GP and WEC although what makes those series great is completely different to the strengths of V8 Supercars.
Old 13 May 2016, 04:38 (Ref:3641263)   #19
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I agree with him as far as the racing product goes. The racing is close, is not overly aero-impacted, the cars are undertyred and move around, there are no driver aids, and the cars are RWD.

Compare this to F1, WEC, BTCC, DTM, GT3 and others where aero is so dominant and the cars don't really move around on the road.

Rallycross is interesting, but fields small. WRC is effectively dead. NASCAR possibly, but seems very staged.

What is left?

V8SC just needs to stop the faux safety cars and it'd be just about perfect.
Old 13 May 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3641264)   #20
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we do a round with a compulsory Zero degree (i.e. neutral) Rear Wing angle?

Increasing braking distances will lead to more overtaking opportunities. The worse the cars are (technically), the harder it is to put in a perfect lap. Fantastic cars are too easy to drive, and ordinary drivers make less mistakes, making overtaking harder to procure.

So lets take more aero off with a mandated neutral rear wing, a change that would cost absolutely nothing.

Let's keep the driver as the star, not the car.
Old 13 May 2016, 06:09 (Ref:3641267)   #21
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
NASCAR possibly, but seems very staged.
Is Supercars any less 'staged' than NASCAR ?
Old 13 May 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3641282)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Warby talking to make noise again.

Great to see he made these 'claims' on the safe and stage managed 'Inside Supercars' where there would be zero critique and raucous applause of your own contracted employees. So brave of him to put himself out there like that.

I also enjoyed the "v8sc has never been stronger" comment the week following a manufacturer withdrawal and tension amongst other manufacturers.

It was almost like he went on TV to deflect attention away from the current Volvo and Malaysian street race troubles
Old 13 May 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3641311)   #23
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
What is left?

V8SC just needs to stop the faux safety cars and it'd be just about perfect.
I have Super GT as being the best series in the world today, with the V8's a very close second - although, as others have said, the overall V8 package is superb.

I feel like V8's need to determine what their overall vision / objective is and focus on achieving that, as right now it seems like they are torn between sport, parity, entertainment and competition. Manufactured parity and entertainment is perfectly fine when it's a stated goal and consistently applied, same goes for sport and competition. They haven't quite figured this out yet IMO.

I also think that passing is still a bit too difficult and although we aren't suffering from crippling aero-push / aero-wash, passing still seems too difficult at times.

But yes, that's me nitpicking, as it is a fantastic series overall...but there is still much to be done to secure a successful future - sitting idle is the biggest risk of all....
Old 13 May 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3641326)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
I have Super GT as being the best series in the world today, with the V8's a very close second - although, as others have said, the overall V8 package is superb.

I feel like V8's need to determine what their overall vision / objective is and focus on achieving that, as right now it seems like they are torn between sport, parity, entertainment and competition. Manufactured parity and entertainment is perfectly fine when it's a stated goal and consistently applied, same goes for sport and competition. They haven't quite figured this out yet IMO.

I also think that passing is still a bit too difficult and although we aren't suffering from crippling aero-push / aero-wash, passing still seems too difficult at times.

But yes, that's me nitpicking, as it is a fantastic series overall...but there is still much to be done to secure a successful future - sitting idle is the biggest risk of all....
SGT is another one of those series that puts entertainment at the forefront, and they're not candid about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Can we do a round with a compulsory Zero degree (i.e. neutral) Rear Wing angle?

Increasing braking distances will lead to more overtaking opportunities. The worse the cars are (technically), the harder it is to put in a perfect lap. Fantastic cars are too easy to drive, and ordinary drivers make less mistakes, making overtaking harder to procure.

So lets take more aero off with a mandated neutral rear wing, a change that would cost absolutely nothing.

Let's keep the driver as the star, not the car.
This would actually be really fun. I'd say do it at the AGP meeting, perfect time to try goofy stuff.
Old 13 May 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3641344)   #25
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
SGT is another one of those series that puts entertainment at the forefront, and they're not candid about it.
Oh, absolutely. But I'm completely ok with that, because it's all above board and everyone knows what they're in for. In fact, I think that a unified and consistent direction is worth far more than a series not having a clear objective and making stuff up as it goes along. That's the biggest thing hurting Supercars as we move into the future.

And don't get me wrong, I don't rate SGT so highly specifically because they focus on entertainment, I rate them because I've not once switched off after a race and felt like I saw something wrong, controversial, questionable, etc - what you see is what you get, exactly what it says on the tin. It's for that exact reason that I can't stomach NASCAR. And to clarify, I'm also completely ok with F1 for being consistent in their objectives, even if it does mean a lack of variety.

If Supercars wants manufacturer / team success to be decided purely on sporting / technical merit, that's fine - but then they need to get rid of things like minimum fuel drops, compulsory pit stops, any rule or technicality designed to artificially close gaps that are only there due to policies that specifically create them. This years Clipsal 500 was a bit of a head shaker and whilst the action this past round at Barbagallo was nothing short of outstanding, there's something seriously wrong when 3/4 of the way through, no one has any idea of who is actually winning the race!

I love the series, I really do, but they've got a bad habit of making things vastly over-complicated which has the potential to make things really difficult in the future. I'm not hating for the sake of hating, I'm raising issues in the hope that the series can somehow be the best that it can be. I can't be the only one thinking like this...or am I going a bit mad?