Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Dec 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1796968)   #26
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would run Radical with Judd power. That package had great speed straight out of box, good economy and decent reliability for first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Unless someone in LMS ran a Zytek 3.4L package last year that I wasn't aware of...
Binnie ran Zytek 3.4 in his Lola B05/40.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1796971)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had forgotten about Binnie running that Zytek powerplant...after they dropped the Nicholson-McLaren...I incorrectly thought they went to a Judd when they made the change.

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Dec 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1796981)   #28
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
What would be the price of the Zytek?
German "Sport Auto" wrote less than 600 000€ for the 06 LMP1 (including engine)
Old 21 Dec 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1797002)   #29
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, but that's actually the hybrid IIRC. That's about what some were quoted by Trevor Foster at the start of the year.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Dec 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1797221)   #30
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
German "Sport Auto" wrote less than 600 000€ for the 06 LMP1 (including engine)
now i know how much to put aside when i win the lottery
Old 22 Dec 2006, 01:07 (Ref:1797281)   #31
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Chump change when Porsche ask for 1m euros for an LMP2 Spyder hey! God knows what the running costs of the Porsche are after that! I do hope Dyson at least considered the LMP1 route!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1797340)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm the only guy in this thread that would pick the Lola? I believe it is a more proven package than the Radical.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1797473)   #33
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would choose the Lola too. It's a great looking car. They are a fairly large company with lots of resources, wind tunnel, etc and I rate that quite highly over the length of a season or two.
Now that Panoz is doing the champ car chassis, they must have some spare resources to put into the LMP department?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1797488)   #34
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too would choose the Lola, Radical are a great little company but nowhere near the same level as Lola. And yes now that Lola are no longer required for the CWS they will probably have some more people available, that said they do still have the contract for A1 GP to think about and I would think they would put in a bid for the new GP2 car in 2008, its also worth remembering that they are also a chassis manufacturer for Formula Nippon as well as lots of Formula 3 teams.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1797607)   #35
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the Lola P2 does seem to be a pretty good car, and probably still has some room for more development. There is supposedly an updated version available, but I guess we'll have to wait to see that one. It's interesting to note that the P2 version appears to be much more competitive in its class than the P1. Wonder if that has anything to do with the loss of the Coke-bottle rear end?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1797771)   #36
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Yes, the Lola P2 does seem to be a pretty good car, and probably still has some room for more development. There is supposedly an updated version available, but I guess we'll have to wait to see that one. It's interesting to note that the P2 version appears to be much more competitive in its class than the P1. Wonder if that has anything to do with the loss of the Coke-bottle rear end?
i believe that the lola B05/40 (LMP2) and lola B06/10 (LMP1), share the same chassis which is partly to maybe blame for the lola B06/10 struggling for much of the year.

however though im not sure whether the lola B06/10's poor performance could be rated/ judged on the engine, since the AER V8 turbo has only featured in the lola, and the protran.

so it is uncertain whether the lola B06/10's poor performance was based on either the car itself, or the AER V8 turbo engine.

if i was going for an LMP2 car the lola B05/40 would be a safe choice, fast, reliable, efficient and well proven.

but i would maybe go for a zytek 07S in LMP2 or a courage LC75, both of which could be hugely quick car's, especially the LC75 if the LC70 was anything to go by.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1797796)   #37
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
I'm the only guy in this thread that would pick the Lola? I believe it is a more proven package than the Radical.
It also won pretty much every time out in the LMS.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1797833)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
It also won pretty much every time out in the LMS.
True...Lola always has built a high-quality product, and they have been in Victory lane on many occasions in sportscar racing

But last season, it lost seven times to the Porsche in ALMS...and each time Lola did win, the Porsche was leading the Lola when problems (allegedly gearbox issues) knocked the RS Spyder out of the lead or the race....

Penske also whipped the Audi R8 and three Lolas (P1 and P2) at Mid-Ohio last May.

FWIW

One thing for sure...the Lola is more affordable than the Porsche

and I also agree with Fogelhund....the Fernandez Racing Lola with Acura power might just prove to be the fastest Lola on the planet next season

It certainly will give the Porsches every bit of competition that they could hope for or want

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1797856)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but Tim the Lola was that of Intersport who whilst are a good team aren't perhaps the best in the sportscar world when compared to the likes of RML. When the 2 squads do go head to head the results would seem to reflect this also.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1797871)   #40
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must agree. Jon and Clint doing the driving with Michelins would have been a better comparison between the Lola and the RS Syder. But that didn't happen. The Fernandez entry should be a good indicator of just how good the Lola can be.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1797898)   #41
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I must agree. Jon and Clint doing the driving with Michelins would have been a better comparison between the Lola and the RS Syder. But that didn't happen. The Fernandez entry should be a good indicator of just how good the Lola can be.
Excatly, the tires had been different. And Intersport asked for Michelin, but they didnt wanted to sell to Intersport !!!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1797914)   #42
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I interject.

The Radical with the Judd would be my choice. Mr Short and his entourage were thwarted by silly reliability problems which have all been sorted now.

Had it not been for the ring gear losing teeth, they would have won by over a lap at Donington (if only the ACO allowed push starts!).

It was consistantly the fastest LMP2 car in the LMES.

And probably the best looking car too.

Yes, the Porker is blindlingly fast, but with the right team running it, the Radical could be as good, or maybe better.......

Rob.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1797973)   #43
LMP nut
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
LMP nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zytek 07S LMP2 would be my choice. Hope someone runs one in the ALMS as it would be good to see the true pace of the porche against another fast LMP2 car.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 03:54 (Ref:1798088)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Would like anything that adds cars to the field so bring on some Zyteks and more Radicals. And can Dyson modify their Porsches in any way to help correct/eliminate some of the reliability things from last years car and could they be the prototype return to Le Mans?
Old 23 Dec 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1798143)   #45
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
May I interject.

The Radical with the Judd would be my choice. Mr Short and his entourage were thwarted by silly reliability problems which have all been sorted now.

It was consistantly the fastest LMP2 car in the LMES.
It was? Lets take a quick look at the facts shall we? There were 5 LMS events this year, RML took the LMP2 class pole at all 5 events, and also got Pole at Le Mans.

In the 5 LMS races RML won the LMP2 class 2 times as well as winning in class at Le Mans. The only other teams to win in the LMP2 class in the LMS were Kruse, ASM Team Portgual and Barazi Epsilon. Each taking 1 class win each.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1798160)   #46
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
It was? Lets take a quick look at the facts shall we? There were 5 LMS events this year, RML took the LMP2 class pole at all 5 events, and also got Pole at Le Mans.

In the 5 LMS races RML won the LMP2 class 2 times as well as winning in class at Le Mans. The only other teams to win in the LMP2 class in the LMS were Kruse, ASM Team Portgual and Barazi Epsilon. Each taking 1 class win each.
Agreed, in fact I suspect even Shorty might admit to the car being slightly quicker with AER power. The Judd engine, whilst usually reliable, has perhaps been a little short (no pun intended) on development over the last couple of years.

FWIW, like a number of others on this thread, I find the integrated ZYTEK 07S LMP2 package most appealing. Whether it's going to be the best remains to be seen.
Old 23 Dec 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1798291)   #47
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R

Rollcentre had far better race pace than qualifying and RML was on Michelins, Rollcentre and ASM on Dunlops. Radical lost two wins and a second place to late race drama, but that happens to first year cars (unless it's Audi).
Old 23 Dec 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1798305)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think the Dome LMP2 will surprise (if they have good drivers) next season. In the last 5 years the Dome LMP1 was one of the best LMPs available for privateers.
Old 24 Dec 2006, 01:59 (Ref:1798568)   #49
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon if more people got behind the Pilbeam and some money, development and what not got behind it - it would be a great car...
Old 24 Dec 2006, 02:15 (Ref:1798573)   #50
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Radical / Judd

L.P.