Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Jan 2006, 03:01 (Ref:1501451)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Dean Croswell

I was watching an old tape this morning and it had Dean Croswell driving the Greg Crick Commodore which i believe was the 1995 david Attard alcon air car ... but anyway Croswell was pretty impressive.

I remember him from his Commodore cup days which he was might quick in (did he win the title or not some one may tell us ?) but then he joined Cricky's team and did some rounds before teaming up at bathurst with them.

and now nothing..........

whats happened to him and whats he doing these days ?

i thought for sure he was going to go a long way in v8's but it never really happened for him
Old 15 Jan 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1501461)   #2
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i know dean is still living in Legana (5 mins from Launceston on the west tamar).
there is a long story about the drive he had. It wasn't a Greg Crick owned car. i am having a mental blanck and can't think of the owner.

The car was sponserd buy Trust Bank (Tassie bank that sold out to Commonwealth bank about 5-6 years ago). the deal was the owner was surposed to have only Tassie drivers, but to suplement the budget he put some mainland drivers in it that brought in some money. This annoyed Trust Bank so they pulled the sponsership thus Dean and i think Tim Shaw where out of a drive.

if you remember Trust Bank sponsered dean in his 2E RX3 and his commodore cup cars as well as sponsering Tim Sham\w in his Commodore cup campaign (untill he had a run in with the law here in lonny).

the last time i saw Dean drive anything was at carrick speedway a few years back when he did some hotlaps in a super sedan. I know Dean has a nice RX3 road car that is in show condition that he was trying to sell.

i hope this is enough info but i dare say it isn't 100% correct.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:23 (Ref:1501465)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The car was owned by John Alcorn of Alcair Air Conditioning fame wasnt it?

Mr Alcorn sold off his business in the last season the car ran, and it wasnt used a lot after than... (wonders where it is now...)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:37 (Ref:1501469)   #4
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone should do a chassis number site to trace all of these old cars.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1501472)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well while im interested in the car I was mnore interested in Dean himself.

huge amount of talent not tapped into , a shame.

dean if yor reading this i thought you had what it takes mate
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:54 (Ref:1501474)   #6
bartman71
Veteran

so did most people in tassie.
a name that comes to mind for the Trust Bank car is Owen Parkinson. not 100% sure tho
Old 15 Jan 2006, 05:59 (Ref:1501475)   #7
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The car was owned by John Alcorn of Alcair Air Conditioning fame wasnt it?

Mr Alcorn sold off his business in the last season the car ran, and it wasnt used a lot after than... (wonders where it is now...)
Correct me if im wrong, but didn't this car start its life in 1993 as the Diet Coke Commodore VP driven by Paul Morris in the ATCC and crashed at Lakeside in testing just before Bathurst. Morris drove a 2L BMW with Alfred Heiger in 1993 Bathurst 1000.

The Diet Coke Commodore was rebuilt and ran in 1994 ATCC and Bathurst with David Attard at the wheel as a VP Commodore in Alcair colours. The sister Yellow Ex-Longhurst B&H car was driven by Paul Romano that same year.

The Car was converted to VR Spec 1995 and ran as the Alcair commodore in the ATCC and Bathurst 1995

During 1996 it was run by Greg Crick in Alcair colours as a VR and was co-driven at Bathurst 1996 by David Truckie Parsons. Was crashed late in the race at the end of Mountain Straight on the first lap after the pace car.

In 1997 it was run at Bathurst by Greg Crick Dean Croswell as the Trust Bank Commodore.

In 1998 the car was bought by the Cranbrook family from NT and ran as the Hidden Valley sponsored car at Bathurst, drivers were Layton Cranbrook and Dean Croswell, the car was heavily damaged at Reid Park in practice, and ran down the back of the field for most of the race.

After that, I have no idea where the car ended up, im sure someone will know.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 06:52 (Ref:1501483)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Dean running a Group A Starion at the moment?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1501485)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Correct me if im wrong, but didn't this car start its life in 1993 as the Diet Coke Commodore VP driven by Paul Morris in the ATCC and crashed at Lakeside in testing just before Bathurst. Morris drove a 2L BMW with Alfred Heiger in 1993 Bathurst 1000.

The Diet Coke Commodore was rebuilt and ran in 1994 ATCC and Bathurst with David Attard at the wheel as a VP Commodore in Alcair colours. The sister Yellow Ex-Longhurst B&H car was driven by Paul Romano that same year.

The Car was converted to VR Spec 1995 and ran as the Alcair commodore in the ATCC and Bathurst 1995

During 1996 it was run by Greg Crick in Alcair colours as a VR and was co-driven at Bathurst 1996 by David Truckie Parsons. Was crashed late in the race at the end of Mountain Straight on the first lap after the pace car.

In 1997 it was run at Bathurst by Greg Crick Dean Croswell as the Trust Bank Commodore.

In 1998 the car was bought by the Cranbrook family from NT and ran as the Hidden Valley sponsored car at Bathurst, drivers were Layton Cranbrook and Dean Croswell, the car was heavily damaged at Reid Park in practice, and ran down the back of the field for most of the race.

After that, I have no idea where the car ended up, im sure someone will know.
I think your about a year out with some of them, the right idea though.

- Morris drove a Diet Coke BMW M3 2.5l Evo in the entire 1993 ATCC, then teamed at Bathurst with Jo Winkelhock.

- In 1994 he drove the Diet Coke Commodore in the ATCC, was meant to drive at Bathurst with Geoff Brabham but as you said the car was crashed in testing, and therefore Morris drove with Altfrid Heger in the 1000.

- The Alcair team arrived in V8s in 1995 with David Attard, the car stayed in VP specs until 1996 though when Greg Crick took over the driving.

- The Crambrook's didn't buy the car until 1999 from memory.

Steven Johnson also drove this Commodore a few times in 1997, possibly at the IndyCarnival support race, and then at the Phillip Island ATCC round.

I remember Crosswell's ATCC debut, at Mallala in 1998 in the wet. Helped in no little way by the fact he chose to run wet tyres from memory, unlike alot of others.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1501527)   #10
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Totally correct, i completely forgot about the M3 Diet Coke Car in 1993 ! Thanks for correcting me!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1501535)   #11
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Croswells sold it to either Ric Shaw or Bob Tindal, for Ric to drive in Konica, although a new car was built and most of the running gear was transferred to the new one (possably the last VS to be built for V8SC? ). I do believe that Dean is driving in a Gp A Starion from time to tim and I thought he posted here from time to time?

His 2E RX3 was involved in a major shunt in a round of the '05 NSW Improved Production State Championship at either Oran or Wakefield and is now out to lunch I believe. (Dean sold it some time ago, and I cant remember who bought it from Graeme Watts and was driving it at the time of its crash last year.)
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1501557)   #12
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im pretty sure thats the car that Peter Best drove in selected konica races in 03 and has all so competed in the Touring Car Challenge on occasion.
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 15 Jan 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1501587)   #13
bartman71
Veteran

after thinking about it i recall Trust Bank owned the car and Owen parkinson ran the team. apprently the deal was that the car was given to owen for his services.

the car was never owned by croswell.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1501624)   #14
chooky
Rookie

chooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
well while im interested in the car I was mnore interested in Dean himself.

huge amount of talent not tapped into , a shame.

dean if yor reading this i thought you had what it takes mate
Hi there Marcus,
Got a bit of a shock today when a mate told me that someone was talking about me on Ten tenths.

I have been living on the Gold Coast for 18 months and race my Group A Starion only now and again, but I will do a bit more club racing in the future.

It is a shame that my old RX3 has been chashed, I would like too buy it back, if the current owner is tuned in?
Dean
Old 15 Jan 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1501971)   #15
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
His 2E RX3 was involved in a major shunt in a round of the '05 NSW Improved Production State Championship at either Oran or Wakefield and is now out to lunch I believe. (Dean sold it some time ago, and I cant remember who bought it from Graeme Watts and was driving it at the time of its crash last year.)
Matty Watson bought it Doggo - he had a spin at the kink before Turn One at Wakefield and had the front end torn off by Darren Gillis' VR Commodore... Matt still owns it, not sure if he intends ever getting it going again but it was pretty heavily damaged...
Old 16 Jan 2006, 02:25 (Ref:1502047)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well there ya go , thanks for dropping in Dean and thanks for the update.
good to see you still get out there every now and then and have a run.

all the best
Marcus