Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Feb 2003, 16:29 (Ref:503468)   #51
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
The Cadillac STS pace cars made a glorious noise during their sighting/practice laps. so did the Caddy racecars with the turbo version of the same engine.
Not exactly same engine is it? The production Northstar is 4.6 liter, the race motor is IRL sourced, 4 liter unit with turbo slapped on...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 16:54 (Ref:504599)   #52
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the TWR Jags made the sweetest noise, compared to the wail of the mazda which almost made your ears bleed it truly was music.
As already said before the M1 BMW was also great.

But the best ever noise is the hush that decends over the track at 4pm on saturday to be broken 3m 30 secs later as the wall of sound from all 50 starters pounds by the start line. (followed a minute or 2 later by a debora/alfa)
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:20 (Ref:504675)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh yes Nordic, that moment has always got to me! As the cars start their final parade lap and you watch the helicopters as they follow them around the track, the commentators jabbering away (French over the PA, English on RLM) and everyone craning their necks as the cars forst come into sight into the Ford Chicane. Without a doubt, one of the moments of the year. Gets me every time.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:38 (Ref:504702)   #54
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fan of the laid-back agression (if there is such a thing!)of the ground pounders. The Corvette and the Panoz sing that lovely baritone song. I liked the Lincoln motor that was in the Dyson Riley and Scott MkIIIc in '01...The engine with the craziest sound i've heard, though, was the Elan V8 in the Panoz LMP07. Yeah, the car sucked and the engine lacked power, but it sounded like a thousand demons screaming in a cave.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:45 (Ref:504714)   #55
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Oh yes Nordic, that moment has always got to me! As the cars start their final parade lap and you watch the helicopters as they follow them around the track, the commentators jabbering away (French over the PA, English on RLM) and everyone craning their necks as the cars forst come into sight into the Ford Chicane. Without a doubt, one of the moments of the year. Gets me every time.
As many of you know I made first trip to Le Mans last year and the open few seconds of the race are amazing and the noice as they come passed the tribune at racing speed for the first time is deafing, roll on June I can not wait.........

Last edited by rdjones; 12 Feb 2003 at 18:45.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:52 (Ref:504723)   #56
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
917's
Old 12 Feb 2003, 19:30 (Ref:504757)   #57
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
917's
I've never had the chance to hear the 917 in person....but if the film Le Mans is accurate, it sounds amazing...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:504809)   #58
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
I've never had the chance to hear the 917 in person....but if the film Le Mans is accurate, it sounds amazing...
What are you waiting??? www.porsche917.com.ar/videos02.htm
Old 13 Feb 2003, 03:47 (Ref:505128)   #59
Baritone24

Great Videos But,I like Ferraris and V-8s.Ferraris have a Beutiful sound very exotic.But gool ole v-8 Gummble is what i love to hear.Chevys,Panoz,Judd all Deep Rumble that not slow at all

Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:49 (Ref:505214)   #60
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Now why have you gone and done that to me Ayse? I now have the hairs on the back of my neck standing up and butterflies in my stomach, and its only February! Fortunately young James is keeping me busy and making time fly, otherwise I would hold you personally responsible for time dragging until June!
Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:56 (Ref:505221)   #61
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The production Northstar is 4.6 liter, the race motor is IRL sourced
Ooops, that'll teach me to believe the advertising hype.

Last edited by Guy Humpage; 13 Feb 2003 at 09:01.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:21 (Ref:505236)   #62
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Baritone24
Great Videos But,I like Ferraris and V-8s.Ferraris have a Beutiful sound very exotic.But gool ole v-8 Gummble is what i love to hear.Chevys,Panoz,Judd all Deep Rumble that not slow at all

Judd's are not deep at all, they are piercingly high pitched.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 09:37 (Ref:505251)   #63
xjr5006
Rookie

xjr5006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car sounds the best! Yes I'm biased, but having been on the wall at silverstone and heard her hit 7,000rpm as she approached .... the wail of a screaming banshee.... something like a BRM and very different from a TWR V12. Tears welled in my eyes for I finally understood what had been written about that sound in so many books....
Old 13 Feb 2003, 21:03 (Ref:505749)   #64
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to say that either the Judd GV4 or the GV5 (sligtly lower pitched) sound the best. A close second is the old Ford engine that everybody used in their Riley & Scotts. I will never forget hearing the Dyson R&S accelerating out of the toe of the boot at Watkins Glen (2000), closely followed by the Intersport Lola. It was a great battle.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 22:11 (Ref:505870)   #65
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
DEFINITELY Panoz. For the way they make the ground shake, the air vibrate, and the fact that you can hear them at virtually any point on the circuit...

Must agree!!! The sound the original GT1 made in 97 & 98 (especially in the enclosed section between the Esses & Terte Rouge) is something I'll never recover from!!!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 08:11 (Ref:506191)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by xjr5006
My car sounds the best! Yes I'm biased, but having been on the wall at silverstone and heard her hit 7,000rpm as she approached .... the wail of a screaming banshee.... something like a BRM and very different from a TWR V12. Tears welled in my eyes for I finally understood what had been written about that sound in so many books....

You are indeed a lucky man xjr - I am very envious!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 10:46 (Ref:506284)   #67
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Must agree!!! The sound the original GT1 made in 97 & 98 (especially in the enclosed section between the Esses & Terte Rouge) is something I'll never recover from!!!
And me, you stand down near the braking zone, when they lift off the crackle they make is some thing you never forget.

I like the Mclaren, nice clean crisp sound.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 11:59 (Ref:506366)   #68
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the BEST noise at LM, The start.
Attached Thumbnails
4341.jpg  
Old 2 Mar 2003, 01:00 (Ref:521920)   #69
concrete block
Rookie

concrete block should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heebeegeetee,

Couldn't disagree more, the low throbbing rumble of a vee 8 Merc beats a ****el any time.

A 205 at Le Chatre "lite me up baby"
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:15 (Ref:523322)   #70
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And who could forget the Mig...
H
Old 3 Mar 2003, 11:33 (Ref:523337)   #71
donfisher
Rookie

donfisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be a sad lack of mention for the Morgan - admittedly it didn't make it very far so perhaps a lot of people didn't hear it but it was a superp noise