Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 14 Nov 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1153469)   #1
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stick on Number Plates.....

Are they legal ? Im fitting a couple of rally spot lamps to the front of my Pug 205 Gti and need to move the front number plate, I would like to fit a stick on one to the bonnet, is it legal ? will it pass an MOT ? where can I buy one ?

Cheers

Simon.

Last edited by sjw75; 14 Nov 2004 at 21:43.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 15 Nov 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1153805)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know, yes they are legal. You simply mark out a white rectangle, on the bonnet and use black letters for trailers to finish. Have a look in Halfords.

Last edited by Hobson; 15 Nov 2004 at 10:15.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1153872)   #3
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The white background has to be reflective to the correct British Standard (Don't know what that is off hand) and strictly speaking the plate should be vertical, ie not on a sloping surface - although people seem to get away with that one!

Barry
Old 15 Nov 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1153994)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

They are illegal on at least two grounds. Not vertical and no stick on plates meet the requisite standard. See the DVLA website for details.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 15 Nov 2004 at 13:56.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1154162)   #5
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advise and links to the DVLA, it looks like the stick on number plate is no go, however Ive just realised that you can get square plates (like you get on the back of a motorbike) for the front of cars, standard size of letters, reflective and forward facing so that should do the job !!!

Cheers

Simon.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2174376)   #6
jayneh
Rookie

jayneh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the square number plate at the front of your car is only legal on particular types of cars. Such as Mitshubai Evo's, Nissan Skylines etc.
I'm not 100% sure but I can give the web address of a company that supplies physical numbers if you would like their opinion.
www.speedyreg.co.uk

I hope this is of some help to you
Old 10 Apr 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2174544)   #7
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a square number plate on the front of our group 1 RS 2000 in international rallying without any problems at all. Needed it so that the auxiliary lights did not obscure it.

Mind you this was about 25 years ago!!!

I think it is probably OK and legal. The important thing is that it must not be obscured by accessories such as spot lights etc.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2174554)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you guys ripping it off and replacing with a normal plate for your MOT?
Old 10 Apr 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2174560)   #9
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i believe (been out of the country for a couple of years) you can use a square plate, if you do not have the space to run a normal plate.

We used to use a sticker plate on our old Mini rally car, but its a bit more flexible as i) its pretty much vertical (below grille-no bumpers), its the old black and white style
Old 10 Apr 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2174570)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why not gat a legal plate for the MOT, it just needs to be secure, it doesn't matter how it is secured. You could then remove it and just rely on an illegal stick on one after the test.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2175008)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Stick on plates along with chequered tape and drain pipe exhaust used to give you at least 50 HP more, I seem to remember !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Apr 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2175495)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Stick on plates along with chequered tape and drain pipe exhaust used to give you at least 50 HP more, I seem to remember !

Errr,it dont work on the MG!.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2175496)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Technicaly,they are illegal,ask any E-Type owner how many times they have been pulled over for it. The reason they are not legal is because the digits should be proud of the background by whatever it is now. You can buy the background s from quite a few places but you will possibly struggle with the digits,unless you go to a boat chandlers that is.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2175763)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Errr,it dont work on the MG!.
Probably because you had wire wheels. If you had "normal" one's with the wheel trims removed you would have noticed the difference
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Apr 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2175848)   #15
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bought stick on reflective digits/numbers from normal motor factor recently
Old 12 Apr 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2175910)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Probably because you had wire wheels. If you had "normal" one's with the wheel trims removed you would have noticed the difference

Wish you'd told me before now!