Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2001, 10:43 (Ref:158988)   #1
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who will we change our perception of next year?

It struck me whilst thinking about Suzuka this weekend, that it was a year ago that Jenson Button outqualified Ralf Schumacher, furthering many peoples belief that he was a future world champion. Just a fortnight after Wurz had outqualified Fisichella for the first time, having got his hands on the "good" Benetton.

A year on Fisi has kicked Jenson's butt. The perception of Fisi doesn't seem to have changed much, but Button seems almost universally regarded as not being very good.

The point of thsi post isn't to discuss the why's and wherefore's of this particular situation, but to ask who will shine next year, and who will be shaded?

For example, will Kimi struggle next year, as Jenson has this?

Will next year's Renault allow Button to show Trulli the way?

If Webber gets the Minardi drive, will be match (surpass?) Alonso?

Will Allan McNish be rookie of the year, making Mika S. look slow?

You thoughts....

PS Please Please Please, resist form the Ralf kicks JPM and vice versa, I think that its probably been fairly well aired
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:06 (Ref:158996)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is difficult for the reason that if any of us are correct then maybe we didn't have to change our perception!

I think that Trulli will have the upper hand in the Renault team, irrespective of whether it is a good car or not. However of the three examples that you have given I think that this is the closest to call.

The other two I see as quite straight forward. Alonso is better than Webber and Salo is better than McNish. I think Salo is more talented and his experience will show too. This is where the chances of my perception being changed are the greatest! I just don't expect it to change!

As Finn/Scot pairings go I think that the interesting one is at McLaren. I presume that DC will have the upper hand, but how close will Kimi be, especially as the season goes on. I rate Kimi highly, but I think this is where my perception might change. If he isn't a match for (or better than) DC as the season draws to an end then I don't feel that he is the next superstar. I'm afraid the perception that I feel may change will be a negative one towards Kimi.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:21 (Ref:159003)   #3
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso will be seen as a little overhyped.

McNish will equal or better Salo as he already has several times in testing.

Raikkonen will outpace Coulthard and DC's career at the top will be over.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 12:14 (Ref:159032)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although Salo may shade it at first, McNish is a great deal better than he may be given credit for. I think that once he gets his feet under the F1 table (and subject of course to the performance/reliability of the Toyota), he will routinely outperform Salo.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 12:37 (Ref:159050)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing I can see: Minardi won't be at the back of the grid...
Old 11 Oct 2001, 12:40 (Ref:159053)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wouldn't be so sure.....

Old 11 Oct 2001, 13:58 (Ref:159084)   #7
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

sorry, have you watched the USGP? in the "ones at the end" group Alonso was not included...
Old 11 Oct 2001, 16:25 (Ref:159148)   #8
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
One thing I can see: Minardi won't be at the back of the grid...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

I'm sure they will.

Last edited by ljakse; 11 Oct 2001 at 16:26.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 17:03 (Ref:159177)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They definitely will with Yoong in there.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 17:30 (Ref:159204)   #10
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is agreed that the Asiatech is only marginally better than the motor they currently use, so unless there is a major horsepower improvement, they could end up behind the Prosts. I don't think Webber will replace Yoong and his money, or am I wrong? Speaking of Prost, there hasn't been a lot written about their development plans for next year, if they have any, so you can't expect much from them either.

If Jensen stays at Renault, he will find Jarno as difficult to beat as Fisi was, I think. It's hard to tell what Briatore thinks about him, especially after remarking that Jensen had to start beating Fisi regularly, or he'd be gone in 2002. So what would Frank do with him, still holding his option, and not likely to excercise it?

I think that with a bit more seat time, McNish will match Salo's pace at least. It's hard to tell from a testing programme how good the car really is (this year's Prost, for example ),so we won't really know until the first race.If they are fairly quick, then our opinions of their chances could definitely change.

Judging by recent articles, it looks like next year could be a make or break year for BAR and Honda, and if our perception of the team doesn't change with the new car and engine, they will be looking for a new engine supplier in 2003.

I think there will be a much better perception of Renault next year. They appear, along with Williams, to be making the most strides forward in development, despite this years bit of espionage.

I would expect the biggest changes at Arrows with the Cosworth, but they need a new chassis with greater fuel capacity. You can't run a light car that requires at least 2 stops with a dog of a motor, or you can't build the gap you need to make your fuel strategy work.

I thought this year was good, but next year is going to be even more interesting, I am sure about that.

Old 11 Oct 2001, 18:43 (Ref:159235)   #11
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My predictions for next yr:

1) I don't think Minardi will be at the back.

2) Benetton will finish 4th in constructors title.

3) Sato will score a couple of podiums.

and finally...

4) Barrichello will win the title (i hope)!!

p.s these are my personal views and no one elses so please don't slag them off.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:07 (Ref:159248)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My sense is that as Marshall has suggested, Raikkonen will not "Blow away" Coulthard and will see his star lose some of its shine.

I've never thought much of Salo ansd wouldn't be surprised if McNish showed him the way.

Trulli will be faster than Button, but the dear boy will have some good races.

No, Minardi will not be at the back-the AsiaTech will be much improved.

Frentzen will pack it in before the season is half-over.

Sato will find it hard going.

Fisi will finally be able to run at the front consistently.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 20:24 (Ref:159301)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrTTraces
My predictions for next yr:

1) I don't think Minardi will be at the back.

2) Benetton will finish 4th in constructors title.

3) Sato will score a couple of podiums.

and finally...

4) Barrichello will win the title (i hope)!!

p.s these are my personal views and no one elses so please don't slag them off.
I'd like to see all of those with the exception of:

Sauber reataining 4th in the constructors and Sato winning a race with his better Honda engine!
Old 11 Oct 2001, 21:20 (Ref:159336)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY didn't Minardi get their hands on the Ferrari's that it is they're DESTINY to have?? I still havn't quite recovered emotionally from that decision.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 00:24 (Ref:159460)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY didn't Minardi get their hands on the Ferrari's that it is they're DESTINY to have?? I still havn't quite recovered emotionally from that decision.
Sad Tristan, but true... I told before..
Old 12 Oct 2001, 00:49 (Ref:159476)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: Who will we change our perception of next year?

If I read the title correctly, then the only change in preception for next year will be The Bunsen, and Fisichella. Trulli has qualified well this year, and that won't change. Both Fisi and The Bunsen have had to put up with machinery that was shaded even by Minardi, and both have underachieved this year as a result. Kimi has done very well this year and will continue to improve.

And for the super optimist who alluded to the cars that Fernando outqualified at Indy, well I can only point out that Minardi have inherited the engines of two of those. Everyone else is moving ahead. And if next year's customer Ferrari engine will be this year's engine, it will be just as good as, if not better than the BMW, Mercedes, Cosworth, etc., etc. In fact, unless next year's Ferrari can achieve the superlative reliability of this year's engine, then next year's customer Ferrari engine might be the best engine on the grid.
And all the Minardi fans will dream of what could have been, their one shot at the top, that ellusive dream. Exclude me, I'm keeping my hair.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 01:09 (Ref:159483)   #17
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button will be behind Frenzy at Prost, and Jarno and Fernando will have amazing battles to beat each other.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 13:18 (Ref:159633)   #18
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i am sure we will be seeing quite a good performance from Jarno Trulli, as usual, and i am sure he will, like fisichella outpace button. Yes, i will be honest and say that Alonso is quite clearly an up and coming talent, but i can't and will not say that he is better than webber. come on, he is a fellow australian, i have to support him. I also look forward to seeing raikkonen in the Mclaren, although his performances have seemed to degrade a little in recent races. or maybe heidfeld has upped his game. either one of those. I sincerely hope that Heidfeld is considered too, as a talented driver, and i reckon he is as good as Raikkonen. Oh, and its a hard pick between salo and mcnish, although i think salo has the upper hand at the moment, considering his experience. But we will just have to wait and see how these events unfold in March, 2002
Old 12 Oct 2001, 14:26 (Ref:159654)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I personally would see Kimi not neccessarily beating DC in the championship, but certainly doing enough to embarass DC, as Montoya ahs this year. Montoya should beat Ralf. DC will again say in March that this will be his year, and then in September will say that next year will be his year. Trulli should have the better of Button if his luck improves. If Briatore dislikes Button as much as has been suggested, Jenson could be the one having the bad luck. Heinz Harald, if next eyar's Prost is as reliable as this year's, could prove something of a revelation, and well ahead of Burti (assuming that proves to be Prost's driver line-up). Sato and Masa should do well but I doubt either will beat their team-mates, no rookie has this year on points. Verstappen, if he stays, will be as naff as ever, hiding behind low fuel loads again.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 14:51 (Ref:159668)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raikkonen will prove to be much over-rated and will be soundly beaten by DC, thereby essentially ruining his career and letting Nick Heidfeld into the team in 2003 while Raikkonen either tests or goes to another team. Of course, I don't wish to see Kimi fail, it's just IMO Heidfeld should have got the seat and I'm still unhappy about it.

Meanwhile, Heidfeld will continue to go from strength to strength, and with a less than competitive car next year, will still finish as high as he did this year. New team-mate Massa will not prove to be quite the revelation Kimi was this year.

As for the others, Trulli will now trounce Button into the ground, and therefore Williams will keep JPM, who will either be champion or second overall next year. Ralf will just whinge all year.

Fisichella will be revitalised at Jordan after career stagnation at Benetton, but will still fall short of winning, sadly. Sato will be the first real Japanese revelation ever!

Salo will put in some good performances throughout the year for Toyota, but I don't see them cracking the podium at all yet.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 15:09 (Ref:159682)   #21
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Juan will be doing the kicking on little bro. Just to set the record straight…

I still think that Alonso, if Briatore believes he is any good, will be driving for Renault. To stay in Minardi would be the proof he did not convince anyone as a good prospect. As I said before his results are good but they are not outstanding. I think Trulli and specially Fisichella did a better job when they were rookies at Minardi. Proof is they landed good drives the next season and strangely enough Briatore was their boss.

Button. If he gets the axe he will end testing for Jordan, hoping Sato fails. Only Arrows can offer him a drive and that is because the owners is Briton…LOL. That is if Lauda does not wake up and Replace Irvine.

Massa. Interesting to see if Sauber will be as good as this year’s car. I don’t think it will be. Rindland is not there anymore. Massa seems quite good but so was Zonta and we know what happened to him…

Heidfeld will have his hand plenty of things to show Mercedes he can replace DC.

DC will beat Raikkonen more times than not. Raikkonen is not Hakkinen so DC should have an easier time. It depends how good is the McLaren. Anything less than one victory for Kimmi will be considered failure.