Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:07 (Ref:456147)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Camping - Or Not!

No longer seems available for 2003!! None of the traditional UK travel companies have any left, and the ACO don't seem to be able to sell you any!!

Has anyone got any good ideas! At the moment I have the chunnel reserved.. but nothing else.

Worried.

Dan.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:34 (Ref:456159)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try www.club-arnarge.com the forum there is often has people trying to sell, or you may have to buy the complete package from Page & Moy or Just Tickets could work out a bit pricey.
some private operators also run private camping ie Club Valen (check the spelling )

There is also a campsite that is still arrive and camp I cannot remember its name.

or have you tried a Hotel?
Good luck

Last edited by Nordic; 23 Dec 2002 at 14:37.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 19:22 (Ref:456340)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MRI may have some camping ticket left they are also worth a try, as for me I am on the MRI coach again.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:456360)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic

some private operators also run private camping ie Club Valen (check the spelling )

Val and Alan (Val-an - geddit?) are good friends of mine - give them a try

http://www.motorsport-tours.com

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 Dec 2002 at 19:58.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 22:27 (Ref:456445)   #5
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's still time to get on the marshal list. get your tickets and camp site for free!
'Course you have to work for a living then, normally 2hrs on and 4 off or 3 on 3 off, or similar variations depending on poste.
They normally also like you there for 14.oohrs Weds so you are registered for practice Weds night on, but many do not arrive til later.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 03:47 (Ref:456556)   #6
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan,

PM Liz I am sure she can put you in touch with the people she used in 2002!
Old 24 Dec 2002, 15:53 (Ref:456836)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your tips..

I'll do some more research.. I simply refuse to believe that the ACO aren't taking anymore camping reservations - it's not even 2003 yet! Although from the stories from last year, their organisation is shocking..
Old 25 Dec 2002, 21:15 (Ref:457329)   #8
rlinter
Racer

You might also find some useful info at www.lemans24hrs.info
Old 27 Dec 2002, 22:25 (Ref:458461)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Interesting articles.. it would seem that the ACO have completely lost the plot.. you can no longer buy camping permits - unless buying a package from one of the 'agencies' (who of course take their cut)..

I guess I've only got myself to blame.. such short notice - only 6 months before the event.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 04:30 (Ref:458636)   #10
rlinter
Racer

I wouldn't unduly panic yet - just keep your eyes on the forums here and at Club Arnage as there will be people trying to get rid of tickets, (when people drop out etc) as the event approaches. This year there were even Houx & Masion Blanche permits flying round in the weeks running upto the great race.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:461930)   #11
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to MRI, according to the brochure they only sell camping permits as part of their package deal. I agree with rlinter though - Don't panic....yet!
Old 2 Jan 2003, 15:57 (Ref:462121)   #12
rlinter
Racer

Cynic you are right only permits with over priced packages.. A little bird tells me that the OFT are looking at "The Price fixing Cartelesque behavour" of several of the ticket agencies especially with LM in mind.

Dan, seriously DON'T panic at all really as there is always a sensible priced (face value=ish) solution right up till you get to the track.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 15:40 (Ref:462805)   #13
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also try the Le Mans Tourist Office for tickets. Apparently what has happened is that at least one of the campsites is scheduled to be built on. The ACO managed to issue the same number of permits to the Agencies and Tourist Office that they have issued in the past. The ACO then realised they had very few left, and went through their orders and could only fulfill those made by May 2002!

I applied to the Le Mans Tourist Office in late November and they still had a few camping permits left. They want you to buy general admission tickets from them however they do appear to sell the tickets at face value so its not a rip off! Sorry can't remember their number but it is on the Club Arnage website.

Chris
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:51 (Ref:463055)   #14
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
The Brethren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the ACO have lost up to 1000 slots on Blue and Houx annexe, this is on top of 350 last year after the work carried out at Dunlop and Tertre Rouge.
They said that they are currently looking for alternative fields to accommodate the demand, but there is no further news at the moment.Should these become available, you should find a lot on offer on the CA forum as a many of us have now found ourselves on the waiting list for these even though bookings were made in June and before.
Karting Nord, Beausejour and Technoparc are all reletavely new sites and were added through the over demand on the other sites, so don't panic, something should turn up.Just keep an eye on the CA forum for news and updates.

Just Tickets did have permits up until November, but they were only available with 2 entrance tickets all at a 50% mark-up. ( better to have than have not I guess )

Rusty
Old 4 Jan 2003, 10:12 (Ref:463413)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Thanks again for this info.. I keep telling myself not to panic! But there's no way I'm missing out after the time we had last year!

Dan.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 13:10 (Ref:463509)   #16
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisgr31
You could also try the Le Mans Tourist Office for tickets. Apparently what has happened is that at least one of the campsites is scheduled to be built on. The ACO managed to issue the same number of permits to the Agencies and Tourist Office that they have issued in the past. The ACO then realised they had very few left, and went through their orders and could only fulfill those made by May 2002!
Sounds like par for the course - what is interesting is that they gave/sold - being the ACO it is safe to assume the latter - their ticket allocation database to at least 1 UK based agency...

I think they need to really get their act together and stopping making themselves look silly year after year after year.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 14:22 (Ref:463550)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is very true. Anyone who wants to have a really good time should use the outfit I travelled with last year. The company is great fun and you couldn't ask for better service. And if you want to come and camp early, perhaps accommodation could be arranged, although the service for which they are renowned doesn't start until the race weekend officially does. The Brethren were camped just up the street from us and can vouch for the size of our entourage. Among other things we have water and power available. They are also very resourceful and if you have any special requests you can make them and it may be possible to arrange for a reasonable price. (I would stress may since everything at Le Mans is a c***pshoot!)

It is a mystery to me that the French/ACO has been at this for 70 years and still can't figure it out. However, we all manage to have a wonderful time in spite of them, don't we?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 18:43 (Ref:463722)   #18
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
Hi Liz,
They seem to like to change the rules of entry as frequently for the spectators as they do for the competitors ( I still to this day can't get over the loss of the Group C monsters! )
You think you've got it all figured out and someone at the ACO throws a spanner in the works. I think they do it to keep everybody on there toes, they wouldn't like it if the Brits had it easy in planning there annual pilgrimage would they.
Rusty
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:31 (Ref:463839)   #19
hugee
Rookie

hugee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of camping, I'll be travelling my lonesome self with my enormous Kawasaki(!). What are the chances of me being able to slip past the gate gendarmerie into the campsite of my choice - I've heard tales of bikes just getting waved through without checking for camping passes...

Anyone got any experience of all this?

Hugee
Old 5 Jan 2003, 04:17 (Ref:464124)   #20
rlinter
Racer

Hugee - It depends when you arrive and which campsite you try but it is very possible...
Old 5 Jan 2003, 10:46 (Ref:464309)   #21
The Brethren
Rookie

England
Greenhithe,Kent
We always have a lot of bikes arrive with us, none of them seem to be challenged for tickets even thought they do have them.
Once they are in and set up the guys on the gates don't seem to worry about the bikes and they have free access in and out of the campsite with out being asked to produce them at all. Don't forget, the only way that the ticket is valid is when it is stuck to the windscreen ( check the t+c on the reverse of the ticket), try that on a bike !
I did have a problem a few years ago when I used to bring a couple of bikes down on a trailer and they got ****ty with us when returning to the site after a trip out, but once they got to know us, it was all OK.
We have also had stragglers turn up without tickets at all and they have got in but they did have bare bikes as they had already lobbed there gear into the support van just in case they could make it down.
Pot luck really, but there is always a way in, particularly if you are on your own. You can always just lob your gear over the fence if the worst come to the worst and get your bike later.
Best advise here is not to turn up at the gate with your bike loaded as if you are about to do the Paris Dakar.
Hope this is of some help.
Rusty
Old 5 Jan 2003, 21:28 (Ref:464794)   #22
hugee
Rookie

hugee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all for your thoughts...will mull it over, and definitely use as a last resort if I can't lay claim to a camping pass..

Hugee
Old 8 Jan 2003, 14:01 (Ref:467300)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A worrying rumour spotted on the club arnage site is that the only campsite to have showers will be the Houx site.
For those of you like me that remember the sites before showers turned up at all and recall washing in the concrete troughs in the houx site this is not good news.
sadly there are a couple in my party that this will not effect as the thought of a shower has not occured to them.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:10 (Ref:467391)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
A worrying rumour spotted on the club arnage site is that the only campsite to have showers will be the Houx site.
Beer showers ?
Old 8 Jan 2003, 21:41 (Ref:467862)   #25
lowieracing
Racer

lowieracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in regards to the marshal list, what happens there? surely just 'anybody' cannot apply?! what rules are there? any info would be grately recieved...