Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Who's going to win Le Mans?
Bentley (Kristensen/Capello/Smith) 18 29.51%
Bentley (Herbert/Brabham/Blundell) 18 29.51%
Audi Sport UK 10 16.39%
Champion Racing 7 11.48%
Audi Sport Team Goh 2 3.28%
JML Team Panoz 0 0%
Jim Matthews Racing 2 3.28%
Other 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 2003, 15:03 (Ref:503427)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Who's going to win Le Mans?

Come on, place your bets now, messieurs et mesdames.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 16:51 (Ref:503487)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Brits and the Aussie for me.

But what do I know?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:15 (Ref:503521)   #3
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J J Lehto all the way in the champion Audi......the best sportscar driver around!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:31 (Ref:503546)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am with Ayse on this on it got to be Mega, Little 'Un and the Ozzie for me too.............
Old 11 Feb 2003, 18:36 (Ref:503595)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I voted for the Mostly British Bentley as thats who I want. Although I have a hunch that the Other Bentley could sneak it. Sportscar endurance drivers dont come much better that Kritenson and Capello. Guy Smith is also pretty useful.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 20:25 (Ref:503679)   #6
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My heart says JML Panoz but my brain says Herbert´s Bentley.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 20:31 (Ref:503681)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kristensen is too good not to win. With Cappello's reliability and Smiths speed and knowledge of the EXP8, no one else should come close.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:12 (Ref:503849)   #8
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this could be the year a 675 wins...
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:24 (Ref:503866)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All other things being equal I think the driving squad in the Kristensen Bentley is marginally better than the squad in the Herbert Bentley.

And I think it will be a Bentley year too (with the privateer Audis very close).
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:40 (Ref:503887)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brabham Bently first, with the Dindo Bently close behind. I have no idea who will come in third. Spyker.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 01:11 (Ref:503946)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me thinks the factory Saleen, or the Ferrari 550 I belive a top GTS car has the potential to win Le Mans outright. But not at the moment - but when the 2004 regs are introduced, but for now I belive it will be the number 1 Bentley.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 01:28 (Ref:503950)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I went for Audi Sport UK, but then I love Frank Biela. So sue me.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 01:28 (Ref:503951)   #13
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Me thinks the factory Saleen, or the Ferrari 550 I belive a top GTS car has the potential to win Le Mans outright. But not at the moment - but when the 2004 regs are introduced, but for now I belive it will be the number 1 Bentley.
How would a GTS car win outright especially at Le Mans, even with the new rule the GTS will still be 200 kilos heavier and prototype will still be better aero-wise even with the spec undertray that they might run......GTS does not equal to the old GT1 class....when the cars were spec as a Prototype...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 01:53 (Ref:503961)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh but I belive they will, with cars like the Enzo and the Carerra GT, besides on speed they are faster than most of the LMP900 cars on the straights, or they were in 2002, had the factory saleen s7r run in 2002 on the faster layout it would have gone even faster than the Prodrive ferrari.

Just because the GTS cars will be 200kg heavier dosent mean much to be honest, reliabilty does, and GTS cars are normally very reliable - besides GTS cars have won ALMS races before, and I remember in 2000 the Oreca Viper finishing 7th overall, and there was no freak weather or anything like that, that year. Since then GTS cars have improved heaps areodynamically and balance wise, compare the Viper, the best GTS car of the late 90s early 21st century to cars like the Saleen S7R now, and cars of the future like the Enzo and each time there is a signifcant leap.

I never have, and never will be a LMP fan, I know the odds of a GTS car winning Le Mans outright are slim - but it can be done - especially getting podiums, besides GTS cars have won the Daytona 24hrs before (when it was competitive.)
Old 12 Feb 2003, 02:20 (Ref:503976)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Oh but I belive they will, with cars like the Enzo and the Carerra GT, besides on speed they are faster than most of the LMP900 cars on the straights, or they were in 2002, had the factory saleen s7r run in 2002 on the faster layout it would have gone even faster than the Prodrive ferrari.

Just because the GTS cars will be 200kg heavier dosent mean much to be honest, reliabilty does, and GTS cars are normally very reliable - besides GTS cars have won ALMS races before, and I remember in 2000 the Oreca Viper finishing 7th overall, and there was no freak weather or anything like that, that year. Since then GTS cars have improved heaps areodynamically and balance wise, compare the Viper, the best GTS car of the late 90s early 21st century to cars like the Saleen S7R now, and cars of the future like the Enzo and each time there is a signifcant leap.

I never have, and never will be a LMP fan, I know the odds of a GTS car winning Le Mans outright are slim - but it can be done - especially getting podiums, besides GTS cars have won the Daytona 24hrs before (when it was competitive.)
When I reffered to a GTS car finishing 7th overall, I was of course reffering to Le Mans 2000, just in case theres any confusion. Oh one other thing, I dont belive cars like the Saleen is any worse than a LMP car areodynamically, they just weigh more which means they have to corner more slowly and and brake earlier. If a GTS car was to weight 900kg I belive they really would be up there challenging for wins in every race..
Old 12 Feb 2003, 02:49 (Ref:503993)   #16
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

GTS cars have no chance of winning or comming close. LMP cars are very reliable, certainly as reliable as GTS cars. Audi, Bently, etc......certainly reliable.

Quote:
When I reffered to a GTS car finishing 7th overall, I was of course reffering to Le Mans 2000, just in case theres any confusion. Oh one other thing, I dont belive cars like the Saleen is any worse than a LMP car areodynamically, they just weigh more which means they have to corner more slowly and and brake earlier. If a GTS car was to weight 900kg I belive they really would be up there challenging for wins in every race..
Well, you just symply wronge about the aerodynamics........a car like the Saleen S7 is not even close to an LMP aerodynamicly. You honestly think the only reason they are slower is weight? No, GTS dont make anywhere near the downforce. Just because they are pretty slippery on the straights, that doesnt make them even close to the same level aerodynamicly. If they had the same weight, adn same power, they would still be nowhere near an LMP in terms of lap times.

Last edited by IanGrohse; 12 Feb 2003 at 02:56.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 03:02 (Ref:504005)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Okay ur right, but they already have more power than most of the LMP900 cars, the Prodrive ferrari was reported to produce around 625bhp. Oh and a GTS car does have a chance of winning Le Mans outright, mathamatics proves that. Besides they have finished 7th overall in recent years, and won other big enduros against prototype competition, ie Daytona 24hrs.

When the factory Saleen is back I belive it will out qualify a lot of the LMP 675 machines, I mean the Prodrive Ferrari 550 out qualifed some of the LMP675 machines and was faster than the Mugen Panoz in the race. I belive the Saleen S7R is even quicker than the Ferrari 550 and the 550 was only 1.5 secs off the pace of the 2nd Volxwagen Reynard 2kq (sorry about spelling) with the GTS Saleen I belive it could outqualify them. Paricualry when the minimum weight for LMP675 goes up to 750kg, I dont know about them beating all of the LMP675 cars but I bet the new breed of GTS cars will be in amongst them - even more so than they are already - and dont forget the Ferrari 550 was going faster than the Panoz at Le Mans for quite some time in 2002.

Still like I say it probably wont happen for a while yet, and for 2003 my money as I said previously is on the number 1 Bentley taking the overall win at Le Sarthe.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 05:02 (Ref:504050)   #18
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Okay ur right, but they already have more power than most of the LMP900 cars, the Prodrive ferrari was reported to produce around 625bhp. Oh and a GTS car does have a chance of winning Le Mans outright, mathamatics proves that. Besides they have finished 7th overall in recent years, and won other big enduros against prototype competition, ie Daytona 24hrs.

When the factory Saleen is back I belive it will out qualify a lot of the LMP 675 machines, I mean the Prodrive Ferrari 550 out qualifed some of the LMP675 machines and was faster than the Mugen Panoz in the race. I belive the Saleen S7R is even quicker than the Ferrari 550 and the 550 was only 1.5 secs off the pace of the 2nd Volxwagen Reynard 2kq (sorry about spelling) with the GTS Saleen I belive it could outqualify them. Paricualry when the minimum weight for LMP675 goes up to 750kg, I dont know about them beating all of the LMP675 cars but I bet the new breed of GTS cars will be in amongst them - even more so than they are already - and dont forget the Ferrari 550 was going faster than the Panoz at Le Mans for quite some time in 2002.

Still like I say it probably wont happen for a while yet, and for 2003 my money as I said previously is on the number 1 Bentley taking the overall win at Le Sarthe.
Why would you feel the Saleen would be faster than the Ferrari???? What about it would make you think that? They never have been as succesful in their races or as fast as the Prodrive Ferraris. The Prodrive Ferraris are simply the cream of the crop. With or without restrictions, the Saleen will never reach the level of supremacy that Corvette, Oreca Vipers, or Prodrive Ferraris.....

Sure, GTS cars will beat some LMP675, of course. Thats bound to happen, some lower budget teams, some slower teams, some more unrealible teams. And they will certainly get alittle closer to the fast teams......But remember, the LMP675 cars will STILL have power to weight, higher levels of grip, way more downforce, faster transitional ability, much less wear on tires, and far better gas milleage. So, they will not beat an LMP675 unless some freak thing happens like all the LMP675 cars fall out.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 06:08 (Ref:504069)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'll go for Audi UK ... but Kristensen' Bentley... mmmm !

I've to precise here those ones are not those I support, but those on whom I bet for the overall win...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 07:07 (Ref:504092)   #20
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
200KG is not a lot eh? That's 200 extra KG for the marginally more(if at all) horsepower a GTS has to overcome in acceleration, deceleration, cornering and various wear and tear. Think about it, you will lose to LMP on acceleration, braking, cornering G, and only able to match the top speed of a prototype. GTS car as of now or 04 will not be the outright pace setter like GT1 were in pre-1998 years. As for them winning Daytona outright, back in 2001 and 2000 when a GTS car did win outright, they are racing against the aging budget capped SRP car of GARRA, a far cry from the ACO spec car....especially consider C5R or a Viper GTSR probably costs more and more high tech that those 6-7 years old SRP cars....and I don't know what the "other" big enduros are....N-Ring 24 Hours or Spa 24 hours are GT car only races, no prototypes in them. And as far as I know, no GTS has won an ALMS race outright....

With 675 car, GTS is more reliable, and maybe pace matching to the Reynard, but try MG Lola, whose 3:33 lap around the Sarthe circuit is quite a distance away from the 3:51 of the GTS car...

About them being more reliable, right now only Vette has rock solid reliability, Prodrive is still not quite enduro proven, and Saleen is still very much a variable.

Last edited by RacingManiac; 12 Feb 2003 at 07:08.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 08:43 (Ref:504114)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by IanGrohse
Why would you feel the Saleen would be faster than the Ferrari???? What about it would make you think that? They never have been as succesful in their races or as fast as the Prodrive Ferraris. The Prodrive Ferraris are simply the cream of the crop. With or without restrictions, the Saleen will never reach the level of supremacy that Corvette, Oreca Vipers, or Prodrive Ferraris.....

Sure, GTS cars will beat some LMP675, of course. Thats bound to happen, some lower budget teams, some slower teams, some more unrealible teams. And they will certainly get alittle closer to the fast teams......But remember, the LMP675 cars will STILL have power to weight, higher levels of grip, way more downforce, faster transitional ability, much less wear on tires, and far better gas milleage. So, they will not beat an LMP675 unless some freak thing happens like all the LMP675 cars fall out.
Of course they will beat the LMP675 cars - from 2004 they will weigh 750kg not 675, GTS weight limit wont change, apart from carbon chasis will be allowed, the Saleen S7R when it ran at Le Mans 2001 was extrmeley fast over a single lap, if it ran in 2002 without restrcitors or penalties it would have beaten the Prodrive Ferrari - the fact is they didnt show up because of the penalties so it was left to privateer efforts from the Konrad Saleen and RML cars to try and beat the Ferrari - if the factory Saleen returns since 2001 I belive it will beat the Ferrari - as its been said before the Saleen is a throughbread race car not really a road car and isnt really in the spirit of the rules, but if sufficent numbers are built they will race without being penalised, and I belive they have built enough to satisfy the homlogation regs for this year.

I dont think that this generation of GTS cars will be able to beat all of the LMP675 cars, for 2 reasons, the new LMP675 weight dosent get changed to 750kg to 2004, and reason number 2 is GTS cars of the future like the Enzo, Carrera GT, Buggati Veron (road car has a top speed of 252mph Ive been told.)arent allowed to race yet, when they are I belive they will do extremely well. As Ive said before though I dont belive that they will win Le Mans outright, but mathamatics proves that they do have a chance of winning Le Mans outright - christ the spyker has a chance of winning Le Mans! So does every car out there.

GTS cars have won big enduros before, I remember a ELMS race where the RML Saleen beat the Panoz and Audi R8 (albeit witha bit of luck lol) and the Daytona 24hrs, and lets not forget that on ocassion GTS beat LMP900 cars ie, Mugen Panoz of Milka Duno.

Dont take what I say too seriously, I dont even take myself too seriously but for me to belive a GTS car wont win Le Mans outright one day would be giving up my dream...
(Bentley will win Le Mans 2003.)
Old 12 Feb 2003, 08:51 (Ref:504119)   #22
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I'd like it to be the Herbert Bentley, but my head goes with Kristensen car. (I do have a slight sinking feeling that fate might play a hand and a privateer Audi will sneak it, ).

So as long as it is green with a roof, I won't mind!
Old 12 Feb 2003, 10:12 (Ref:504180)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the Kristenson/Capello/Smith Bentley.

Who is driving the Champion Audi at Le Mans?
Old 12 Feb 2003, 10:46 (Ref:504205)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The Champion Audi will be pedalled by J. J. Lehto, Stefan Johansson and Emanuele Pirro. Not a bad crew...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 11:59 (Ref:504300)   #25
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm with you fab...audi uk.