Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Who's going to win Le Mans?
Bentley (Kristensen/Capello/Smith) 18 29.51%
Bentley (Herbert/Brabham/Blundell) 18 29.51%
Audi Sport UK 10 16.39%
Champion Racing 7 11.48%
Audi Sport Team Goh 2 3.28%
JML Team Panoz 0 0%
Jim Matthews Racing 2 3.28%
Other 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:33 (Ref:504428)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A GTS car will not win Le Mans.

If I have any reputation at all (perhaps I don't), I will stake it on a GTS car not winning Le Mans. A Saleen winning - absolutely no chance.

This ain't Daytona.

(Why would we want a GTS car to win the world's greatest sports car race anyway? :confused: )

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Feb 2003 at 13:34.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:41 (Ref:504438)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maths says theres always a chance Aysedasi - like Ive said its slim I admit but theres always that chance. The factory Saleen is capable of a 3:48 lap with the current layout the way it is Im sure.

For my money - the GTS cars and GT look a hell of a lot better than the ugly LMP cars anyway - ok so Im in the minority but I prefer GT cars. I also woudnt say that Le Mans is the best enduro race - for me at least. No for me its got to be the Spa 24hrs, purley because im a GT fan and theres most of the best GT teams competing there this year. And before anyone says Spa is small time in comparisson to Spa I know in terms of spectators it is yeah but they still got in 107,000 in 2002.

Labre, Carsport Holland, GNM, BMS, Lister, Dart, JMB, Friesinger, Belmondo, Autorlando, RWS the list is endless. Still we all like differnt things I guess. The main reason I dont like Le Mans though compared to the Spa 24hrs is u dont see bugger all of the GTS and GT class racing, ah well back to Spa for me then...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 14:19 (Ref:504481)   #28
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Factory Saleen? hmmm ok?

Anyway, certainly barring any catostrophic events, it seems nearly impossible for a GTS/GT to win any real event with the present world class LMP entries.

Going forward? Who knows what rules changes lie in front of us at this moment, and I would suggest that as much lies with the whims of the ACO and where Porsche wishes to race next.

If Porsche wants to run a variant of their Carrera in GTS, supply customer cars, and have a chance for overall, you will likely see some rules modifications to allow same.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:01 (Ref:504603)   #29
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Maths says theres always a chance Aysedasi - like Ive said its slim I admit but theres always that chance. The factory Saleen is capable of a 3:48 lap with the current layout the way it is Im sure.
I'm afraid for mathematics reliability at Le Mans, but I have to admit, even if I'm agree with Ayse on the point, that a GT car won LM ones, in 1979... and it was a private car indeed.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:02 (Ref:504604)   #30
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
For my money - the GTS cars and GT look a hell of a lot better than the ugly LMP cars anyway - ok so Im in the minority but I prefer GT cars.
You're not in the minority ; you're just in the middle of a bunch of Le Mans fans ! No problem of prefering GT cars !
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:03 (Ref:504605)   #31
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
I also woudnt say that Le Mans is the best enduro race - for me at least. No for me its got to be the Spa 24hrs, purley because im a GT fan and theres most of the best GT teams competing there this year. And before anyone says Spa is small time in comparisson to Spa I know in terms of spectators it is yeah but they still got in 107,000 in 2002.

Labre, Carsport Holland, GNM, BMS, Lister, Dart, JMB, Friesinger, Belmondo, Autorlando, RWS the list is endless. Still we all like differnt things I guess. The main reason I dont like Le Mans though compared to the Spa 24hrs is u dont see bugger all of the GTS and GT class racing, ah well back to Spa for me then...
You're THE man who should open a site and a forum dedicated to GT !

BTW, Spa is a superb track, and the races here are usualy awsome...

Last edited by Fab; 12 Feb 2003 at 17:04.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:13 (Ref:504612)   #32
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
lol, if someone was to do a website with me purley for GT then yeah sure, but not as it stands at the moment as I dont have any knowledge of HTML. My msn group will have to do im afraid http://groups.msn.com/thehomeofmotorracing (hope u dont mind aydeasi.)
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:41 (Ref:504628)   #33
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Saleen, sorry there is no way at GT or GTS can win Le Mans, sorry its ture, get over it.

Quote:
For my money - the GTS cars and GT look a hell of a lot better than the ugly LMP cars anyway - ok so Im in the minority but I prefer GT cars.
Which plant are you living on, have u seen the Bentley it looks wonderful, as does the MG and sorry Ayse so does the Audi........

Quote:
I also woudnt say that Le Mans is the best enduro race - for me at least. No for me its got to be the Spa 24hrs, purley because im a GT fan and theres most of the best GT teams competing there this year. And before anyone says Spa is small time in comparisson to Spa I know in terms of spectators it is yeah but they still got in 107,000 in 2002.
Sorry I disagree again Le Mans IS THE GREATEST race in the world fact, not Spa, which until about 5 or 6 years ago was nothing more than a 24 hour touring car race.

Last edited by rdjones; 12 Feb 2003 at 17:44.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:57 (Ref:504645)   #34
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Saleen, sorry there is no way at GT or GTS can win Le Mans, sorry its ture, get over it.

Which plant are you living on, have u seen the Bentley it looks wonderful, as does the MG and sorry Ayse so does the Audi........

Sorry I disagree again Le Mans IS THE GREATEST race in the world fact, not Spa, which until about 5 or 6 years ago was nothing more than a 24 hour touring car race.
No, in ur opinion Spa isnt the best 24hr race, in mine it is. And as Ive said before maths proves a GTS car has a chance of winning Le Mans outright - anything that moves has a chance of winning Le Mans outright, the Spyker could win Le Mans outright even.

U have ur opinion on things, and I will have mine. The Spa 24hrs in my eyes cant be a bad race if they pull in 107,000 ppl and each year they get more and more...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 17:58 (Ref:504648)   #35
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
You're THE man who should open a site and a forum dedicated to GT !

BTW, Spa is a superb track, and the races here are usualy awsome...
Btw, if I were to do a website dedicated to GT racing and a forum Id have more oppostion than u may think.. www.gtracing.net
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:16 (Ref:504669)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saleen, its fine you have an opinion. The world would be a much poorer (and greyer) place if we all agreed with each other.

And as for not seeing much of the GT and GTS racing at Le Mans, well, you do if you're there.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:19 (Ref:504673)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I cant afford that im afraid, got a slight disabilty so Im on benefits and only working part time, maybe if I ever get a half decent paid job I will be able to afford it, until then... Eurosport it is! lol.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:25 (Ref:504684)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh well one day - you really must try if you can. You'll never know what its like until you've experienced it for real.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 18:30 (Ref:504686)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
lol I got a fair idea though was at the Donnington round of the ELMS in 2001 as well as FIA GT at Silverstone last year. Still ur right, not quite the same - but as soon as I do get some cash im off to Spa for the 24hrs then Le Sarthe.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 19:43 (Ref:504762)   #40
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No, in ur opinion Spa isnt the best 24hr race, in mine it is. And as Ive said before maths proves a GTS car has a chance of winning Le Mans outright - anything that moves has a chance of winning Le Mans outright, the Spyker could win Le Mans outright even.

U have ur opinion on things, and I will have mine. The Spa 24hrs in my eyes cant be a bad race if they pull in 107,000 ppl and each year they get more and more...
You have your opinion, I have mine, the other you have to remember, is that the Spa 24 Hrs and Le Mans are two completly different animals.

What I mean is that each of the circuits has different demands etc. If they where to add LMP900's and 675's to Spa would the GT's have the upperhand or would GT win?
Old 12 Feb 2003, 19:51 (Ref:504777)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
If they were to add LMP cars to the Spa 24hrs 9 times out of 10 a LMP car would win obviously, but maths proves that eventually a GTS car would win eventually. It also depends on what LMP cars were entered, if u entered say the FIA SCC, Id say that the GTS cars would finish 3rd and 4th, there are only 4 fast cars in SR1 and SR2 are slower than the cream of the GTS grid.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 20:20 (Ref:504792)   #42
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Saleen would it be possible for u to pm me your maths so I can if your maths works out.............
Old 12 Feb 2003, 20:27 (Ref:504799)   #43
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
its not that hard really. Its the law of statistics, Im no mathamatical genious, maybe someone here who is would care to explain to u?
Old 12 Feb 2003, 21:50 (Ref:504891)   #44
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think the majority of people on this forum would agree that the Greatest Endurance race, and possibly the greatest race full stop,is in France. What you get in LeMans is an atmosphere, a sense of occasion and a feeling that motor racing history is being made right in front of your eyes. There is no way that a race that is only a few years old can match that.

Notwithstanding that I have no doubt that Spa is a great event and that the Spa circuit is one of the best.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 22:44 (Ref:504967)   #45
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a Renault Twingo will win Le Mans with Mr. Bean at the steering wheel. Or would it be a Bentley or an Audi? Duh......!!!!
Old 12 Feb 2003, 23:01 (Ref:504987)   #46
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im curious about this math. You dont need to discribe it, im just interested in you aluding to what math this is. I dont understand how the law of statistics aplies.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 23:15 (Ref:504999)   #47
thomasl
Rookie

thomasl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goh Mags!

I know that Tom K & Co. will probably win. That's ok with me being Danish, but I would sure love to see Magnussen win this one.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 00:07 (Ref:505029)   #48
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I'd like to think the Herbert Bentley could do it, I think it will be the Kristensen one to win.

Does anyone seriously think the Team Goh Audi has a chance? Last year they were driving for a finish on the parade lap!!!
Old 13 Feb 2003, 06:06 (Ref:505159)   #49
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Crockett
Does anyone seriously think the Team Goh Audi has a chance? Last year they were driving for a finish on the parade lap!!!
Do they have a 2002 specs car, or a 2001 ? Last year : reliablity problems... remember they were third overall after 3 hours or around, if I can remember... 't was not so bad. Certainly a not enough homogeneous team last year, but... well, I won't bet on them, but a very good outsider indeed...
Old 13 Feb 2003, 08:06 (Ref:505192)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
I think the majority of people on this forum would agree that the Greatest Endurance race, and possibly the greatest race full stop,is in France. What you get in LeMans is an atmosphere, a sense of occasion and a feeling that motor racing history is being made right in front of your eyes. There is no way that a race that is only a few years old can match that.

Couldn't have put it better myself.