Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Nov 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3473879)   #1
jaguarista
Racer

Italy
Bari
jaguarista should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar evaluating Touring return

According to sources close to and inside the Jaguar , it seems that in addition to a possible return to the GT or prototype championships, think a program in partnership with an all-British team of Touring, in particular to the BTCC. The all-new sport saloon XE would be ideal. After saying "no" to two teams in the Australian championship Superstars V8, a car in the Touring would have major appeal and right costs.

Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3473895)   #2
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all:
Quote:
sources close to and inside the Jaguar
Hardly sounds like a hard fact . Now back to topic:

What about DTM? They could race against three premium brands, plus they could potentially run their cars in Japan and North America. V8 Supercars could also fit well, as they have a similar international reach as DTM has (Although in the different regions). But I can't see a premium brand such as Jaguar running in a series like the BTCC.

Still, I only believe such stories when I read an official statement by a Jaguar executive.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3473905)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Depends who they are trying to market to.

DTM would take a huge financial outlay compared to BTCC, and DTM unfortunately has no coverage in the UK. But if Jag are looking into the German and Euro markets, then it may be worth considering.

A BTCC team could be achieved without a huge financial outlay, if they team up with someone like 888 or another existing team.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3473908)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Another rear wheel drive Touring Car for the BTCC? That should add to the *****ing regarding 'equalisation'!
Seriously though, it would be great for the BTCC to have a proper 'British' manufacturer involved. (And before you start, I know that the money behind jaguar is no-longer British, but they are still made in the UK).
Old 12 Nov 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3473924)   #5
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Another rear wheel drive Touring Car for the BTCC? That should add to the *****ing regarding 'equalisation'!
Seriously though, it would be great for the BTCC to have a proper 'British' manufacturer involved. (And before you start, I know that the money behind jaguar is no-longer British, but they are still made in the UK).
If Jaguar joins Infiniti on the BTCC grid that may trigger some other premium brands to join the series again? I mean, BMW or Audi have nothing to prove against a Honda or MG (or private 1-series), but with direct competitors like Infiniti and Jaguar it suddenly might become interesting. At least according to the wishfull thinking in my mind
Old 12 Nov 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3473927)   #6
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
If Jaguar joins Infiniti on the BTCC grid that may trigger some other premium brands to join the series again? I mean, BMW or Audi have nothing to prove against a Honda or MG (or private 1-series), but with direct competitors like Infiniti and Jaguar it suddenly might become interesting. At least according to the wishfull thinking in my mind
The selfish part of me wants to see Jaguar return to Le Mans, but if Jaguar were to join the BTCC it would perk my interest big time.

It's hardly an expensive series either. You get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3473928)   #7
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I cant beleive BMW haven't backed WSR. They dont need to give much cash to make it a semi-works team with the pace of a full works team. Plus, BTCC fans would like it and they can use it in promotional material.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3473932)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I have heard Jaguar are looking at GT racing rather than touring cars. and if the rumours are ture a GT3 version of the F Type is already running.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3473943)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Jaguar should run FIA WEC or DTM, not BTCC.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3473967)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this the next Phoenix Racing Volvo or the traditional KIA ?
Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3473972)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
From what I have heard Jaguar are looking at GT racing rather than touring cars. and if the rumours are ture a GT3 version of the F Type is already running.
That would be immense. Not that I don't like the BTCC (I do) but I think Jag belongs in sportscars.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3473975)   #12
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I've heard about the KIA rumours, but a Phoenix Racing Volvo? As in Ernst Moser's outfit that runs Audis in the DTM? Wow, that's really new to me.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3473979)   #13
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We tried with an Evoque and then told us to eff off, the marketing on this car was all centred around Posh spice
Old 12 Nov 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3473980)   #14
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well Jag have publically stated that they are actively looking to get back into racing.
I don't quite see BTCC myself, I think GT3 will be their destination, but we'll see.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3473988)   #15
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not both? A proper GT3 programma with a client programme for International marketing, and a BTCC addition to the local marketing
Old 12 Nov 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3473994)   #16
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe that was a spoof put out there to reel in the more gullible sources some people use for news.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3474064)   #17
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is sellable. It would be a nice fit and make sense from a marketing perspective with the XE being a somewhat less stately proposition.

If we take it further. Jason Plato wants to work with a manufacturer. Years and years of experience. A shrewd buisnessman as well, put a lot of the MG/KX bits together. Jaguar looking at the possibilities. If the two came together, it wouldnt surprise me to see something along those lines.

All speculation for now...
Old 13 Nov 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3474089)   #18
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Why not both? A proper GT3 programma with a client programme for International marketing, and a BTCC addition to the local marketing
I'm totally there, more series the better!

In all honesty I'd probably end up doing to Jag what Dany Bahar did to Lotus

People as obsessed with motorsports as I am should never be left to run a car company...
Old 13 Nov 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3474157)   #19
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Plus, the new 'Baby Jaguar' is supposed to be competing in the market place with the BMW 3 series & Audi A4 and this is an important new market for Jaguar to get into. A high profile Touring Car Racing programme would surely be a good place to promote the new car? (As opposed to mainly promoting the whole brand of Jaguar).
Old 13 Nov 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3474279)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The new Jaguar XE is taking up the gauntlet against the German premium brands so DTM would be the most logical step, although that series is now coupe only.

I expect them in GT racing (GT3).

Quote:
You mean Zakspeed?
Old 13 Nov 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3474351)   #21
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He means the Red Phoenix rumour from before this season.
Old 14 Nov 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3474561)   #22
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
A V8 Supercars entry is not likely.

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/motor...-amg-and-volvo
Old 14 Nov 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3474677)   #23
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else reckon that GT3 is a viable option considering the massive success in not only the international scene, but in British GT? Look at how their fellows at Aston Martin are getting on there, and a BMW driver won this season's title.

As for BTCC, don't see it myself, but as an avid fan of the British motorsport industry, I'd love to see it happen. Could this be the plan AJ is talking about for next season? Or Tordoff? AJ and Tordoff???

Okay, I get it, I should calm down now
Old 23 Nov 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3477936)   #24
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long till someone draws a wafer thin line with the words...Tesco....Jaguar....888.....Plato....scrawled along it???

Last edited by psq43; 23 Nov 2014 at 19:51. Reason: grammar
Old 23 Nov 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3477970)   #25
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
How long till someone draws a wafer thin line with the words...Tesco....Jaguar....888.....Plato....scrawled along it???
Hopefully, for ever!