Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Aug 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2946488)   #26
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2704 View Post
I too will be there, though this will be my first event after the trainee/open day. Hopefully the weather will pick up, but last time i got sun burnt, so a small trade off.

Is it normal not to recieve any paper work nor find out what position i will be in until the day? I signed up through Silverstone Marshalls and only got an email confirming attednance so assume post will be sorted out onthe day?
Posts are sorted out on the day. Do you have a Silverstone Marshals pass to get in?

Once in go to the Paddock Bar - loads of people will be heading that way. It is probably OK to park in the car park outside it. Sign on is inside the Paddock bar normally. You'll get your post assignment when you sign on.

Always remember the number one rule...enjoy yourself.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2946498)   #27
mole2704
Rookie

mole2704 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there I was thinking the number 1 rule was to bring bribes (sweets) for the post chief, ohh well.

Yeah I have the marshals pass so will just follow the swarms of half awake "tango troopers".
Old 26 Aug 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2946587)   #28
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And there I was thinking the number 1 rule was to bring bribes (sweets) for the post chief, ohh well.

Yeah I have the marshals pass so will just follow the swarms of half awake "tango troopers".
No No - Yours is a fairly good number 1 rule (or at least a very good number 2 rule!). You will go far with this attitude in the eyes of at least this post chief
Old 27 Aug 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2946846)   #29
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wish I was there for this weekend, but got to stay at home & play Happy Families. But I might be able to sneak out for LMS on the Saturday as an extra if someone can PM me the sign on times for it, PLEASE.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2946923)   #30
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
But I might be able to sneak out for LMS on the Saturday as an extra if someone can PM me the sign on times for it, PLEASE.
not a secret extract from Penny's usual below :-

The meeting will run from the New wing building however sign on will be in the paddock bar (north end of the circuit), at the times below – if you are not attending all 3 days please take note of the time/s that applies to you.
Friday – between 7.45 and 8.30 on post 9.00am
Saturday - between 7.15 and 8.00am on post 8.30am
Sunday - between 7.15 and 8.00am on post 8.30am
The paddock diner will be open from 7am. Food vouchers will be provided at sign on and all marshals are invited to a drink in the bar after racing finishes on Saturday (voucher to be given out at sign on)

Link to draft timetable is below
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26117606/Timetable%20draft%20-%20Autosport%206%20hours%20of%20Silverstone.xls
Old 27 Aug 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2946951)   #31
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a fun day today even if it was a bit wet. I'm also a happy chappy as Im track marshal after being a trainee for 3yrs, I felt the time was right to make the move up . I hope the weather is better tomorrow.....
Old 27 Aug 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2946953)   #32
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
not a secret extract from Penny's usual below :-

The meeting will run from the New wing building however sign on will be in the paddock bar (north end of the circuit), at the times below – if you are not attending all 3 days please take note of the time/s that applies to you.
Friday – between 7.45 and 8.30 on post 9.00am
Saturday - between 7.15 and 8.00am on post 8.30am
Sunday - between 7.15 and 8.00am on post 8.30am
The paddock diner will be open from 7am. Food vouchers will be provided at sign on and all marshals are invited to a drink in the bar after racing finishes on Saturday (voucher to be given out at sign on)

Link to draft timetable is below
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26117606/Timetable%20draft%20-%20Autosport%206%20hours%20of%20Silverstone.xls
Thanks a lot DJ
Old 28 Aug 2011, 05:08 (Ref:2947042)   #33
mole2704
Rookie

mole2704 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those times are differnt to mine (15 min earlier) and the timetable is for a different event before anyone gets confused.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2947327)   #34
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant day. Club racing at it's absolute finest. 10+ car battles in the Locosts were the highlight. Fierce racing with no contact whatsoever.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2947346)   #35
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Brilliant day. Club racing at it's absolute finest. 10+ car battles in the Locosts were the highlight. Fierce racing with no contact whatsoever.
Was a good weekend. The Locost were very entertaining
Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2947404)   #36
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Those times are differnt to mine (15 min earlier) and the timetable is for a different event before anyone gets confused.
Yes its for the LMS meeting on the weekend of 9/10/11th Sept.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2947507)   #37
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time at Silverstone for well over a decade. It has changed a wee bit and they have even moved the camp site and signing on place. Met many old friends and made some new ones. May I express my gratitude to all the marshals and 750 MC staff for a super weekend. The racing lived up to expectations.

In particular I wish to express my thanks to the crew and driver of Locost car number seven who kept us supplied with tea, coffee and super conversastion.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2947524)   #38
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Well - what a day we had racing!!

Nina took home two trophies - which for all the hard work and "issues" we've put up with for over 2 years (long story ....) will know this means so much to us.

Even better though - all the marshals support. Made Nina's day at the end of both races to see so many friendly faces waving and even the guys in the pit lane bowing down to her!!

Only a few incidents to report - one person overtaking her under yellows in qualifying (she spoke to the driver and had a nice chat ), a collision at brooklands by someone lapping (again driver apologised and despite Nina thinking the worst at the time of the impact, car is not badly damaged - it was her apex to take but unfortunately he hit water and aquaplanned into her - not a deliberate error ) and someone nearly taking her at Becketts (again driver spoke to her and apologised - he did not think she would hold her line!!!???!!!!).

Thanks so much for your support - also Pete D & Julie for your signage and Amy for the winners hug!!

Nina & Tony
Old 29 Aug 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2947558)   #39
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I meant to come and say hello at lunchtime, but I sat in the car to eat lunch and promptly dozed off in the warmth! To make up for it I gave her a special big wave on the slow down from the second race.

Nina did well in difficult conditions - great overtake on #25 out of Luffield in the damp - I thought he'd breeze past again on the straight with the extra power but she got such a good run out of the corner he never had chance.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2947569)   #40
chriskench
Racer

England
henley-on-thames
chriskench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very good weekend flaging on saturday with jean made a even better day and sunday at lufffeild in was a great day too will do again next year
Old 29 Aug 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2947768)   #41
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Well - what a day we had racing!!

Nina took home two trophies - which for all the hard work and "issues" we've put up with for over 2 years (long story ....) will know this means so much to us.

Even better though - all the marshals support. Made Nina's day at the end of both races to see so many friendly faces waving and even the guys in the pit lane bowing down to her!!

Only a few incidents to report - one person overtaking her under yellows in qualifying (she spoke to the driver and had a nice chat ), a collision at brooklands by someone lapping (again driver apologised and despite Nina thinking the worst at the time of the impact, car is not badly damaged - it was her apex to take but unfortunately he hit water and aquaplanned into her - not a deliberate error ) and someone nearly taking her at Becketts (again driver spoke to her and apologised - he did not think she would hold her line!!!???!!!!).

Thanks so much for your support - also Pete D & Julie for your signage and Amy for the winners hug!!

Nina & Tony
Could not make it this weekend but just read your report. Well done to you both.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2948231)   #42
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Great Weekend

As you can all see from her post below (posted under my name) - Nina had a great time and was so excited. Clearly the rain was the great leveller. Nina doesn't mind the wet and the car is leaning towards a wet set up. She did a blinding start in R1 - going straight up the pit wall and taking the row in front at Copse. The first two laps were mayhem, and she spent most of them avoiding spinners. However she stayed straight and found herself about 8 or 9 cars up by the end of the lap!! She fought tooth and nail to keep them behind, but unfortunately the line dried and she was gradually nailed - mostly by pure power on the straights. She also got hit by the third place man when he lapped her at Brooklands. Not great, but not too much damage. Unfortunately our forward camera failed, so we only have backwards footage and a small camera aimed at Nina - her reaction when she is hit is choice!

Race 2 was, very unfortunataly, dry. We were praying for a rain storm for the race. However she did OK and kept up with some of the guys. Even reeling one in and doing a great overtake at Woodcote Gap. Not bad going at all considering the power difference and that Silverstone is very much a power circuit. She did manage to knock 3.8 secs of her previous best lap time from 2 years ago. That was set in the dry but these conditions were, well, changable. She thinks she can drop another second or so, mainly by going faster through Copse and braking later at Brooklands and Maggots.

However 2 class wins now puts her 2nd out of 9 in the Class A championship.

Especially brilliant was the support of all you guys around the circuit - it was just amazing and really made our day. Lots of people came to see us in the paddock. Nina said she could plainly see all the manic waving and cheering around the circuit on both slow down laps. She apologises if she missed waving to some - can't get everybody and sometimes she needed to steer LOL. It was like the whole thing was a big marshals team effort.

You support, and the way it was shown, meant so much more to us than the class wins.

Thanks guys.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2948244)   #43
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great weekend, Copse on Saturday was good, but the racing at Brooklands on Sunday was just fantastic. Hats off to the Locost boys - to have a pack of ten cars charging into Brookladns lap after lap with no contact shows that it is possible to race in close proximity without needless contact. What chance a slot on a TOCA support bill to show the BTCC guys how to do it?
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2948269)   #44
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs View Post
What chance a slot on a TOCA support bill to show the BTCC guys how to do it?
None whatsoever, for exactly the reasons you've given. I mean, motorsport is only interesting when they're crashing into each other all the time and pushing everyone off the track. Can you imagine BTCC allowing anything in that proved that wrong, especailly for so little cost.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2948302)   #45
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great meeting - but only to be expected from the 750MC. Thanks to my teams at Copse on the Saturday and Brooklands on Sunday afternoon, and apologies to Vicky and Jean at Brooklands for not being there as PC on Sunday morning wehen it all got a bit exciting. I still don't understand why you couldn't produce full written accounts of the incidents as well as dealing with the cars, the drivers, the medics, the flags, the OT under yellows, the .....

Thanks also to the teams at Brooklands and Copse on Sunday morning, as well as Nina and Tony, the 750MC rescue crew, the FD car, Steve (Chief Scrut.) and the Medical Centre staff who all made a very good impression on the Taster Day recruits I had in tow. Six of the 8 stayed on to marshal in the afternoon and the other two promised that they would be back to marshal soon.

I must also give a mention in dispatches to Hairy DJ. As well as assisting with the Taster Day on Sunday he also asked to shadow a PC on the Saturday, and was promptly lumbered with me! Pete Harding obviously reckoned that this was quite enough training so poor old Dave ended up as PC at Luffield In on the Sunday Well done Dave, welcome to the ranks of Post Chief - there's no going back now, the guide dog has been ordered!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2948342)   #46
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post
the guide dog has been ordered!
I'll put the zimmer frame on my Christmas list

Many thanks to Gerry for the training & insight into how different things look from inside the box. Thanks (I think ) to Pete for sorting it and getting "payback" so soon. It makes you realise how much you are helped by a cracking team out in the wet, but it feels so very weird to stand back and watch one of your team grab the fire bottle whilst you just reach for the phone .....

My heart may be out on the bank, but hopefully my head will be a little more "in the box" from now onward.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2948432)   #47
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs View Post
A great weekend, Copse on Saturday was good, but the racing at Brooklands on Sunday was just fantastic. Hats off to the Locost boys - to have a pack of ten cars charging into Brookladns lap after lap with no contact shows that it is possible to race in close proximity without needless contact. What chance a slot on a TOCA support bill to show the BTCC guys how to do it?
It was good to see the clerks jump on any "iffy" driving, One of the MR2 winners was severely punished as wel as being demoted several places for pushing the then leader into a spin.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2948473)   #48
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic day on the Sunday. Great grids.......fab racing.......awful driving standards.......great company (Cheers Tim).
Club racing at it's very best!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2948549)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
awful driving standards
Mostly seemed OK up our end with the exception of one Saxmax who didn't like having a car overtaking through Woodcote gap and so imceremonisuly drove him onto the grass, receiving a significant (and well-deserved) biff on the exit for his trouble. Didn't see either number as it started after they'd left me.

Other than a bit of over-driving and some of the MR2s hadn't worked out that the inside of Luffield is the slippy bit when wet. That was entertaining. And then one masterly - or extremely fortunate - piece of avoidance when one of the 750s spun on the exit and reversed across the track (unintentionally, that was just where the spin took him). How the next one missed both him and the new armco on pit entry without lifting I'll never know.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2948593)   #50
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
It was good to see the clerks jump on any "iffy" driving, One of the MR2 winners was severely punished as wel as being demoted several places for pushing the then leader into a spin.
It is worth mentioning that he was very honest about his error of judgement when interviewed on the podium, extremely embarrassed and apologetic. Anyone can make a bad decision, but it takes a big man to react in the way that he did and kudos to him for that.