Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Aug 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2517554)   #76
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Nice post eigger and welcome to 10/10ths.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2517565)   #77
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2009 - Comments/Suggestions

Hi all,

Since the focus of the other thread on Silverstone Classic 2009 was beginning to veer away from the topic of this year's event, and since we 'have the ear' (so to speak) of the event organisers, thought it might be sensible to start another thread, and leave the race reportage and comments on the other thread. So....
Old 7 Aug 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2517577)   #78
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
....My own .02p's worth:

Really had a fantastic time at this year's event, which for me was the closest yet to the Halcyon days of the Coys Festivals. Whilst the weather may not have been as clement as 2008, it was a lot better than the previous week(!), even if the legendary Silverstone wind made standing around on Sunday a little less pleasurable. Enjoyed my own two races immensely (U2TC and Pre-63 GT), and in the latter, even though I got overtaken a fair bit, it was actually a pleasure just to be part of the 'mobile museum' that zoomed past me. After all, I don't often get a driver's eye view of the Breadvan Ferrari, several 250 SWBs, the Aston Project car, plus several others!!

My wife, son and in-laws came up on the Sunday, and all had a good time, even my 3-year old, who is learning rapidly about 'old racing cars', and loved the funfair!

I also enjoyed the concert on the Saturday night, and race entries aside, I thought £70-ish quid for three days of racing plus several concerts seemed good value. I guess the key would be (as originally), that if you have the concerts, offer separate tickets for them.

This year was the first year I've stayed overnight at the Classic (in the Pimpmobile - Those who've seen it know what I mean), and it really added to the atmosphere of the meeting for me. Was great to be camped near the copse bridge, and in particular to have warm showers and power hook-up laid on. It was also great to enjoy a BBQ on both nights, thanks to Delta on the first night, and a friend on the Second. My award for best motorhome set-up must go to the bloke near me who had a fully working draught beer/beer-pump setup! So, down to my nitty-gritty.

Comments/Suggestions:

- Better communication with racers prior to the event. I understand that the race grid organisers have some bearing on this, but there was precious little practical info on the website or sent to competitors until very near the event.

- Better briefed and more customer-service orientated stewards. I lost count of the number of inconsistencies of directions, shrugs of shoulders or downright stubbornness!

- More simplified and clarified parking arrangements. I understand that there were about 20 different colours and degrees of access pass, and that this makes it difficult to police, so how about putting all competitors cars AND support vehicles in one car park, and all 'public' cars in another.

- Thought the shuttle service by the Jaguar guys was great, and very convenient. Also the guys driving the cars were great guys, and I had some interesting chats. One of the drivers was teling me about the engine rebuild on XJR13...!

- Better signage. Period.

- Bring back the Scarf & goggles, maybe 'upgraded' with better quality BBQ offering, and lots of live music. Like the 'second stage' at a Festival. You could even get sponsorship for it.

- Encourage all drivers to create their car info display. I did, and several others did, but a lot did not. I found it fascinating to learn the histories of some of the cars I was racing against.

- Get the Edwardians out racing, or at least a parade! OR, how about getting some of the aero engined cars out!!

- Find a way of balancing the racing programme out over the two days, and to get drivers to leave their cars in the paddock until Sunday. There were an awful lot of empty spaces by Sunday morning!

- Find a way to encourage more people into the grandstands, or at least to watch the racing.

- Better quality and variety of the autojumble.

- More descriptive and informative programme. You could include the race card in it.

Overall, though, I think the improvements were probably obvious to a lot of people, and hopefully at least some are easy to implement!

Comments?

James
Old 8 Aug 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2517710)   #79
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great post "eigger". Wecome to 10/10ths. See you at BBQ next year.
Old 8 Aug 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2517712)   #80
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I honestly think that the Classic is just about there for all. My only gripe is that it would be nice if there was a "grass roots " race for us racers who don't own £50000.00 upwards race cars.People have mentioned Dereck Bell race but i would like to see a Libre type single seater race for cars up to 2litre but no F2's.
Looks like I'm not the only one who missed Scarf and Goggles and for the spectators what about a free trip round the circuit in the Silverstone mini buses before racing and dinnertime. I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers to take them on a guided tour.
If the organisers do read this can i just say thanks from the Delta team as life was a lot easier being allowed in Multi Prepares part of the paddock.Me and the team hope we repaid them by allowing spectators to get up close to all the cars taking pic's and telling them about history of car and who drove them in period.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2518349)   #81
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

Ken Prichard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As with all sporting or other events one cannot please all of the people all of the time. The SC is a complex mixture of attractions and we racers must remember that quite a lot of the visitors never watch any of the racing. It is merely a glamorous backdrop to their car spotting including walking around the paddock. This is one of the reasons why we made more of a display at Assembly because most people have never seen drivers and cars being prepared for a race or any scrutineering. It was also one of the reasons why we introduced the display prize. Spectators may return each year because of the larger experience and the greater information about racing we can pass to them. This also accords with our aims of encouraging younger people to become involved in the classic car movement and, thereby, developing engineering skills which will be of value to us all. Most historic car clubs have a demographic timebomb ticking away like the nation in general. Car appreciation is generational. The cars my generation had as posters on its walls are very different to those on the walls of teenagers today. Before SC09, Car magazine asked us to arrange a photoshoot and track time for an article for the magazine on Edwardian racing cars. We provided three cars showing the astonishing technological developments between 1907 and 1914 (big banger L heads with exposed valves to twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and roller bearings). The journalists were young men who had never ridden in any cars of this age let alone driven them and were almost speechless at the speed and power of the cars and the skill required to drive them well. They came away with a real appreciation of the rewards of driving something much slower and older than a Lotus Exige. We are, therefore, keen to have a spread of car ages and types at the event. We are also keen to have at least one unusual race and that is why we want to announce the grids in October so that owners have time to prepare their cars. All suggestions are most welcome as we have no monopoly on ideas.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2518612)   #82
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I don't understand the comments about the concerts.
The business idea is to run a concert that brings in extra punters for the event not entertain the old crocks gang?
Certainly when I returned to the circuit at about 11 pm on Friday and the people we passed were not vintage people,far from it!We were entertained for ten minutes and saw some very interesting sights.
Suggest the old car people look in the mirror and work out how they would maximise the revenue and hold the cost levels in this climate of fiscal problems if it were their money they were betting rather than bits about types of races and groups for old codgers etc,Basically whatever races you run within reason it will not effect the numbers comming through the gate and you have to think of other things like improve ,car club input,retail entry,concerts, etc.I remember Mansell was paid a load of dosh years ago and put about 500 people on the gate.
Widen the appeal and increase income and that will allow the management to tinker with the races.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2518626)   #83
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Put my latest statement on wrong thread ( the original one) and will let the law lords sort it.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2518632)   #84
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No problem, John; I'll get around to moving some of the relevant posts from there to here over the next couple of days.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2518720)   #85
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't go this year - I like the the F1 - especially the very late seventies / very early 80's era.
Event Organisers - can you get the Historicformulaone back next year please as well as the Masters F1 and HGPCA?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2518734)   #86
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if someone could explain the actual organisational set up.
The HSCC seem to be involved to a significant level, The BRDC obviously have an interest, I have recieved communications from Racing at Silverstone Ltd, Mr Carr-Jones, Goose communications and I notice Mr Prichard-Jones is obviously very interested. Many of us have ideas and suggestions. It would be useful to know to whom we should be addressing our comments and in what capacity they act

Last edited by fasted; 10 Aug 2009 at 11:40. Reason: correcting names
Old 10 Aug 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2518798)   #87
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went for the first time this year, maybe a great track for the drivers but sadly very poor for spectators. Will not be returning next year.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2518979)   #88
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The excellent live coverage from Motors TV meant I could sit at home and watch all of the races without spending a penny. I think if this years races were shown again during the weeks leading up to next yrs event it may encourage people to actually attend the meeting. Keep the cameras there but drop the live coverage.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2519001)   #89
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More thought could go into the car club displays. It would make sense to put all Lotus clubs together rather than divided between infield and out field. Club Elite loved their spot this year as this was the first time they were able to watch the racing! No-one seemed to know where any club was - a map would have helped. A £1,000 prize for the best club display would not have broken the bank - I registered to bid at the auction and my lot went for over seven times the estimate on hammer price - there is money around. As Bonham's had a100% sell surely they should be at the front of sponsors for next year?

The entry price for the races seems high - will this come down as the gate increases, hopefully in the fullness of time. The TV commentators and track commentators spent so much time showing off their knowledge that I had no idea who was overtaking who upon the track and more importantly where! Yes it is interesting to know the history of the event and cars but more importantly to know what is happening NOW.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2519013)   #90
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For probably the first time I (think) I agree we JR. We need to attract younger people to motor racing events. The organiseres need to think outside the box to subsidise the racing and if concerts acheive this why should any of us complain. If they get it wrong we lose the Silverstone Classic - so gloves off anything goes.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2519035)   #91
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX;The TV commentators and track commentators spent so much time showing off their knowledge that I had no idea who was overtaking who upon the track and more importantly where! Yes it is interesting to know the history of the event and cars but more importantly to know what is happening [B
NOW.[/B]
lf only it was only a case of the commentators going 'off piste' - this I don't mind as long as they don't go too far- what is truly frustrating is having the radio commentary interrupted for half the race to broadcast a pre-recorded package unrelated to the race and which has already been broadcast twice before over the weekend . These items are fine in terms of general entertainment but when a race is on we should be able to hear the commentators. Goodwood seem to be able to manage this and fit in all the non-racing stuff as well. The radio broadcast of the commentary is a real plus point as there are plenty of places where the PA is inaudible. On a more positive note Pye & Titchmarsh are good commentators - articulate,knowledgable and above all competent.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2519085)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought that will fall on deaf ear's.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2519198)   #93
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX View Post
We need to attract younger people to motor racing events. The organiseres need to think outside the box to subsidise the racing and if concerts acheive this why should any of us complain.
Are you looking to attract younger people to motor racing events or to use the concerts subsidise the racing? That's two very different aims.

A lot of people who attended the concert on Friday night arrived after the last race and clearly had no interest what had been happening on track. Great to bring in some more funds but does nothing to attract a new audience.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2519207)   #94
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It does make you wonder? They pay £35 for a PCD gig, yet didn't attend a glorious sunny day's racing for free???

Which puts into perspective, yet again, the prices for the Classic. Are you listening, Mr. "It's too expensive, and I'm never going again"? People happily paid for the day ticket, JUST to go to the music...
Old 10 Aug 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2519229)   #95
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

How can 80 Quid for a family of four for a weekend of the best Historic Motor Racing in UK be expensive?
Its a lot less than any sort of other major sporting occasion.
Note on here and the other place people still want free tickets and go to any lengths to get them rather than help the organisers.
The cost of entry for a family of four is a tenth of entering a car and its those things that provide some of the entertainment.
If this is to much ,so are newspapers,TV license fee,football matches and all the other things the great British public whinge about.
Could be that concert subsidised the racing rather than the other way around.
Note the organisers ,Ken and his mates at Goose, are taking note of people and I am sure Ken will get his Edwardian bags of bolts on the track next year hopefully instead of that odd Mini Race!
It will be tougher next year than this.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2519230)   #96
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

At least the last few posts should have been on the new James thread .
Sorry about that boss and hope you can move them.*

*NB - last few posts now moved here from the event thread. Also reviewing earlier posts on there too! - JT

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Aug 2009 at 06:52.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 23:20 (Ref:2519234)   #97
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Goose organise it with Ken being the figurehead.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2519321)   #98
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Could it be the people who went to PCD on Friday had something important to do during the day like work?
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2519324)   #99
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
They pay £35 for a PCD gig, yet didn't attend a glorious sunny day's racing for free???

People happily paid for the day ticket, JUST to go to the music...
You find that surprising? These are the same people who would happily pay £50 or more to watch the same PCD gig at Wembley Arena or the O2.

Just don't fall into the trap of thinking this is in any way encouraging new fans to watch racing.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2519327)   #100
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
How can 80 Quid for a family of four for a weekend of the best Historic Motor Racing in UK be expensive?
Most people, i.e. those without a classic car to display, paid £80 each.