Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jul 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1958216)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Constructive suggestions from the Silverstone F1 weekend

I know some will find it hard to do, but how about collecting peoples positive/coonstructive suggestions as to how to improve marshal facilities/experiences over the F1 weekend?

Personally, I had a great weekend, and apart from the very muddy arrival and windblown first night/day, the weather was great. The campsite dried out enough for everyone to drive out on their own (the ones I saw anyway) steam.

The bus service was efficient and friendly.

The pitwalk was very much appreciated and I couldn't see any reason this won't happen in the future, everyone was well behaved!

The 'toiletting' facilities on Hangar were my biggest issue - and draws my first suggestion for next year; how about some porta-loos on those posts distant from loos or where marshals are sharing public loos with large spectator numbers, who don't always appreciate us jumping the queue.

Also, how about publishing the post rostas in advance, so we have a clue who we're on post with?
Old 9 Jul 2007, 09:48 (Ref:1958378)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unlocking the Ladies toilets @ Copse would seem to be a good idea for next year, along with putting paper towels in the Gents! + cleaning them is also a good isea, Mr Palmers circuits seem to manage it ok.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1958390)   #3
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being at Brooklands, I didn't struggle with the facilities but I guess you're right about porta-loos for those posts that are in the middle of nowhere.

I had a really good weekend. The camp site and showers were great (Thursday weather apart but that can't be blamed on anyone can it), the bus service was slick, the people I met over the weekend were really friendly and all the marshalling I saw was super efficient as always; Nope, I honestly can't think of any way in which Silvertsone/BRDC MC could have been made better.

Lessons I learned personally:

1 - Gazebos are only for sunny weather when there is no breeze at all (ours ended up in the gazebo graveyard for the second year running)
2 - Factor 15 applied 3-4 times a day is not enough. I still have the Silverstone glow and a really red nose !!
3 - No matter how little annual leave I have I should always pre-book the Monday off (phoned in and booked it this morning)
4 - When buying food for the weekend, get it all ready and then leave half of it at home. This avoids carrying lots of food to the circuit and then carrying half of it back again.

Rosie
Old 9 Jul 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1958403)   #4
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankfully the rain didn`t return after Thrsday evening, as i fear this thread would be a long and endless one.
Hindsite is a wonderful thing as we all know, but given the strategic nightmare in organising the whole event, i think it went pretty well.
Of course we wouldn`t be human if we didn`t have cause to moan about the weather,or British too, but, that mixed with the weekends activites i think dampened down the fire of rage in a few of us!
Its only once a year that we have to possibly put up with a campsite that on Thursday evening replecated Pete Berry, sorry Glastonberry! I for one just looked upon it as a challenge and just got on with it, yes I said the usual things, while standing next to the deput cheif marshal Peter in the very pleasent surrondings of the Bog, "Why do we do this" ? Poor chap was soaked through to the skin after running around on our behalf, His reply, " Ahh, time now for that beer"
The long and the short of it is yes, things could have been better in the campsite, temporary roadways to the bottom of the campsite would have been preferred, but as things turned out not necessary. A flat campsite would have been the best we could have hoped for, but given the geography thats not going to be.
Im just thankfull that the rain did finally cease, the wind picked up and the sun shone, because it wouldn`t be particularly helpful to just rant and rave about your own personal issues with mud!
I imagine our resident vicar Gary had something to do with the turn around with the weather Thankyou...

Refering though to the thread and what i feel could have made things a little bit easier for some people, Maybe the siting of the toilets/showers in relation to the exit. to explain this a little better. Upon arrival on Thursday eve, there was an incident that involved the need for an ambulance, the entry to the campsite was made difficult given the fact cars had to exit to reach the hospital, this had to happen and was very unfortunate for those concerned,( I hope all is well ). The problem was compounded by this, the weather and the location of the toilets/showers. Had they been placed away from the entrance/exit, there would have been more room and possibly less mud and puddles to deal with. Generally less walking in a concentrated area.
I was at the bottom of the site, quite firm under foot given the circumstances. It was hard work having to hike up to the loo everytime, so another set of convieniences for us forgotten souls at the lower extremes would have been nice, although the hedge was looking well watered come Sunday eve!
Will say that the campsite shop was a god send as i had forgotten tea and coffee, so that can stay where it is for next year!
Chemi kaziz`s on post would have been fantastic, given the fact there were some 90.000 people in on both days, our own private facilities would have been really appreciated and very cheap to hire too.( its not too much to ask is it)?

So to sum up the weekend we had i think the words WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN come to mind. On the weather front and both on the race track.

A BIG thankyou to all concerned over the weekend, to the boys with me at Brooklands,we had a laugh, loved the MEXICAN WAVE, thanks to Priory and Steve for that one, to the lovely ladies in the BRDC who kept my eyes open between sessions ! and finally to my mum and dad, well they all say that, dont they?

Thanks again

Rick.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 10:49 (Ref:1958437)   #5
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More frequent cleaning / replenishing of the toilets on the campsite (think in the past they had a dedicated 24/7 crew?)
Old 9 Jul 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1958450)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I must say I never saw the toilets or showers dirty on the marshals camp site.

The toilets at Luffield/Woodcote had no soap in them, but a quiet word with the supervisor soon saw to that.

It's like many other things in life, if you don't let staff at the time know there's a problem, they can't fix it!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1958486)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With regard to the campsite, it really is important that everyone uses the "comments/complaints log" that lives in the office by the gate. It is monitored and from there issues can be raised with Silverstone Circuits Ltd by the appropriate people and feedback can be given.

I thought that, as has become usual, the toilets were well looked after and cleaned. It was clearly made more difficult by the mud and life was harder for those at the bottom who had to climb the hill because the weather and ground conditions made it impossible to have loos at the bottom as is normal.

From my own experience when a complaint was raised, it was addressed and whilst it was not something that could be rectified, I felt that it had been handled well and feedback was given.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1958499)   #8
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about not placing caravans 1/2 way down the slope where it's impossible to level them without major scaffolding erections (pauses and waits for indecent suggestions!)
Old 9 Jul 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1958505)   #9
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Obviously my personal challenges present some different factors to those above.

Sadly my friends and I didn't see any facilities for the disabled on the marshals campsite (please correct me if you saw some as we didn't!!!!!). Toilets would have been nice, showers would be a luxury, but hopefully this will happen in future years (don't forget, it's not just me as a marshal that would use them but family members/guests with disabilities too).

The wood decking put down to facilitate being able to get around (that is an improvement to other sites I've used that did NOTHING at all), unfortunately caused my other downfall (literally!!!!!), as when it dried out, it warped to different heights and I unfortunately fell from my chair when the wheels caught in the gaps. Thanks to those who came to my aid, and I'll put it down to another of life's lessons learnt.

On and at the circuit, things were generally okay to get around on the firm ground. The only problem were getting to the disabled loo from my position at Pitlane entry. With so many entrances and gates blocked or padlocked by F1 security, I had to roll for ages until finding the ones behind the petrol station despite passing 3 other blocks for the able bodied. Maybe consideration for another disabled loo, behind the corporate boxes, could be considered.

Overall, my impressions were of people doing their best, given trying weather conditions, and I heartly congratulate them all for making the weekend happen behind the scenes so that we could do our bit at the track.

Steve
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1958537)   #10
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would certainly agree with a marshals only portaloo along hangar as on occasions the queues were a tad long and we didn't always get a 'please jump the queue as we know there's be no racing without you guys', sometimes it was glaring looks!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1958542)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
How about not placing caravans 1/2 way down the slope where it's impossible to level them without major scaffolding erections (pauses and waits for indecent suggestions!)
I'll swap you the task of levelling your caravan for the task of levelling my tent
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:30 (Ref:1958547)   #12
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
I would but surely a tent is best on a slope so when the water runs in it can run out the other end!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1958552)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
I would but surely a tent is best on a slope so when the water runs in it can run out the other end!
It's OK if you're sleeping alone, it's not much fun when your OH weighs considerably more than you and spends the night rolling down the hill on top of you Nothing amorous about that at 3am trying to roll him back up the hill

I reckon you posh people in vans should go right to the very bottom of the hill where its flat....
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1958555)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That only works with tents with 2 doors. Most only have one now, so how's the water going to escape???????
Old 9 Jul 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1958569)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
That only works with tents with 2 doors. Most only have one now, so how's the water going to escape???????
Not my problem!!

(could always have the door at the bottom end?)
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1958637)   #16
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
Sadly my friends and I didn't see any facilities for the disabled on the marshals campsite
Is this not a very serious matter?
Don't organisations have a legal responsibility to provide facilities for disabled?
Especially when they know they have Steve on site, surely they should have organised something?

Also it would be nice to have some loos at the bottom of the field, so those of us down that end don't have to trudge all the way up the hill for our ablutions!
(and so Dan doesn't have to play demolition derby on the fence!!!)
Old 9 Jul 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1958640)   #17
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIXGE
A BIG thankyou to all concerned over the weekend, to the boys with me at Brooklands,we had a laugh, loved the MEXICAN WAVE, thanks to Priory and Steve for that one
OT:

Glad you enjoyed the Mexican Wave. I was one of the flaggies at Priory. Did you guys also give Charlie a Maxican wave during the circuit inspection?
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1958648)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch
Also it would be nice to have some loos at the bottom of the field, so those of us down that end don't have to trudge all the way up the hill for our ablutions!
There usually are, they couldn't get them there and service them because of the mushy ground.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1958667)   #19
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one suggestion that i figured out was to not have the paddock club pitlane walk about when the drivers parade was happening this would make it so much easier for the pits/startline/paddock + any others marshals.
i wernt marshlling ther but my dad was and i saw it from just behind the marshals in there shield.
wuld the suggestion just be logical, makes so much more sense than the current situation.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:29 (Ref:1958672)   #20
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I arrived on sunday afternoon as i turn it in to a weeks holiday and got stuck at 45 degs accross the drive just near my camp spot alex ?, do not know her second name, said i would have to stop like that all weekend. Managed to get a tractor to tow my trancit into its correct spot wednesday lunch time.Had to sleep in it for 3 nights not very good. but the attitude of that women makes me feel very sorry for her. I mean how do you move with your head stuck not on your head
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1958693)   #21
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Poor Clive, who stole his flag pole ? He was not a happy camper on Sunday morning.......
Old 9 Jul 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1958706)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by new marshal mat
one suggestion that i figured out was to not have the paddock club pitlane walk about when the drivers parade was happening this would make it so much easier for the pits/startline/paddock + any others marshals.
i wernt marshlling ther but my dad was and i saw it from just behind the marshals in there shield.
wuld the suggestion just be logical, makes so much more sense than the current situation.
The FIA determine the times of these walkabouts, therefore it would be difficult to move them.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1958752)   #23
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't the porta-potty situation really one of public sanitation? This sounds suspiciously like Montreal in the mid to late '80s. To get to a toilet we were expected to climb thru two sets of fencing and stand in line with the spectators, as the promoters claimed "green rooms" out at the stations would be visible on TV, which couldn't possibly be acceptable.

I voted with my feet after four years of "tying a knot in it", struggling thru holes in chainlink (to the detriment of my favourite Nigel Mansell sweatshirt as I recall) only to be sworn at in French by drunken spectators, and missing course closures standing in toilet lines. Life's too short, and there was a CART race in Detroit the same weekend every year.

The following year I understand someone called Montreal's public health authority and turned the promoters in, claiming that the marshals were being forced to use ahem, non-standard toilet facilities (read "any available tree"), which was a public sanitation violation. Voila, porta-potties -- with lovely little green screens to shield sensitive TV viewers from reality.

Perhaps a little chat with the county's bylaw officer, or what does workplace standards say about facilities that must be provided?

keke
Old 9 Jul 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1958775)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I would suggest any contact should be with Silverstone Circuits in the first instance. If no-one tells them about the problem, they won't know it exists!

Please lets not go down the route of telephoning the local authority, that would only serve to make matters worse!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1958784)   #25
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the state of the campsite I thought they did a good job of keeping them clean. There was always loo paper and paper towels when I used them. The showers were clean, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky.H
More frequent cleaning / replenishing of the toilets on the campsite (think in the past they had a dedicated 24/7 crew?)