Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Feb 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2833750)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc View Post
the Alexander and Grant Corollas were the cars Bob got from England and the Springer car was Bob's 2nd Sprinter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
I am aware off that the Phil Dowsett TOM'S Corolla went to Bob Holden, but two other AE82s raced during the 1989 BTCC; Les Liddiard and Tony Dolley. Which of those two cars went to Australia?

Jesper
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc View Post
I'm not to sure but I think Bob got 2 TOMS cars
Bob bought two ex-TOMS AE82s from England.

The only other AE82s to race in Australia were the TTA cars, one of which they sold to Sala at the right price to get him out of the hard to beat Gazelle. Sala later sold that car to Brad Stratton who raced it for many years and then sold it to Peter Herlihen a couple of years ago. Peter has now restored that car to it's TTA specification & livery. Scott King owns the other TTA AE82, it is immaculately restored.

Bob still owns & races one of his TOM's AE82s, the other is owned by Terry O'Beirne and is currently up for sale. They are not restored and both in original condition.

I bought Bob's second AE86 from Terry O'Beirne in 2007 and completed a ground up restoration two weeks ago. The 1990 ATCC round at Symmons Plains was the only time Matt Springer raced the car.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2837904)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am aware off that the Phil Dowsett TOM'S Corolla went to Bob Holden, but two other AE82s raced during the 1989 BTCC; Les Liddiard and Tony Dolley. Which of those two cars went to Australia?

Jesper
I'm not 100pc sure but I believe Tom's at one point had 2 cars based in Norfolk. One was the car debuted mid 1987 by Tiff Needell and Dowsett and another car that was run at Spa and places like that, which may have been built in 1988.

The Liddiard & Dolley cars were private but shells/parts may well have been sourced from Tom's.

IIRC, one or both of those privateers continued racing their cars in UK Club Mod Prods into the early 90's so may not have gone to Australia?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2837948)   #33
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm not 100pc sure but I believe Tom's at one point had 2 cars based in Norfolk. One was the car debuted mid 1987 by Tiff Needell and Dowsett and another car that was run at Spa and places like that, which may have been built in 1988.

The Liddiard & Dolley cars were private but shells/parts may well have been sourced from Tom's.

IIRC, one or both of those privateers continued racing their cars in UK Club Mod Prods into the early 90's so may not have gone to Australia?
I can't remember how many TOM'S cars there were: The TOM'S GB car debuted at Spa in '87 (Dowsett/Needell/Sekiya), then did a couple of late-season BTCC rounds and the TT. There was a second TOM'S car at Spa, but it was a Japanese-crewed rwd AE86 (in Leyton House colours IIRC) which presumably went back home to Japan.
TOM'S GB then ran Dowsett in a fwd Corolla for a full BTCC season, plus the TT. I don't know if it was the same car throughout, or two cars

After TOM'S ended their involvement with the Corolla, Dowsett ran them as a privateer for the 1989 season- From about mid-season, a new operation was set up called Rayscar, which ran Dowsett's ex-TOM'S Corolla, and Les Liddiard's car. According to an Autosport piece mentioned in the 1989 BTCC thread, Rayscar was a partnership between Liddiard, Ray Selley and Tony Matthews (both ex-TOM'S GB IIRC), and apparently had plans to run an ex-MIL Supra for Dowsett in 1990

I don't think I remember any definite suggestion that the Liddiard car was of TOM'S origin, but as you say, they may well have sourced parts or a shell from that direction. Could Les Liddiard's car have been the second one to go to Australia?

Tony Dolley's name rings a vague bell in connection with ModProds in the early 90's, so maybe his car ended up there?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2837993)   #34
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now you, KA and chunterer, mention a second TOM'S GB-based AE82 I recollect that a Japanese crewed blue Bijø sponsored car appeared for the 24 hours of Spa 1988. If I'm not totally off that race collided with a BTCC round, and with Phil Dowsett in the running for the '88 BTCC title, it's likely a second car was needed for Spa.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-07-31-139.jpg

Jesper
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2838011)   #35
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Now you, KA and chunterer, mention a second TOM'S GB-based AE82 I recollect that a Japanese crewed blue Bijø sponsored car appeared for the 24 hours of Spa 1988. If I'm not totally off that race collided with a BTCC round, and with Phil Dowsett in the running for the '88 BTCC title, it's likely a second car was needed for Spa.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-07-31-139.jpg

Jesper
Was that a TOM'S GB entry or a car from Japan? I honestly don't know whether the TOM'S GB operation had more than one car or not...
Old 28 Feb 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2838018)   #36
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Was that a TOM'S GB entry or a car from Japan? I honestly don't know whether the TOM'S GB operation had more than one car or not...
I think this car was more or less straight from the Japanese series including decals, but that is merely a hunch. By 1988 the new AE92 Corolla was making its debut in the very competitive Japanese series, so the older AE82 would have been a cast away by the time of Spa '88.

Jesper
Old 26 Sep 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2961169)   #37
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember watching some of these races as a kid. However, outside the C7 telecast I had no idea of what was going on and could not put performances in perspective (wasn't buying magazines then). Some years ago, Motor Racing Australia produced this season as one of their "retro race" articles, explaining the strengths and weaknesses of the Skyline against the Sierra's and how Gibson Motosport and Richards went about their tactics for particular races. It would definitely be one of the better ATCC's won, wouldn't it? (not that I know about all seasons). Of all of his achievements, I wonder how Richards ranks this win?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:32 (Ref:3004711)   #38
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the circumstance of Ken Matthews one-off appearance at Phillip Island.

Was this in the same car he raced in 1989?

It was also odd that B&H ran a third car for Neville Crichton in WA.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3007578)   #39
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken Matthews ran his car from the previous year which was originally the 1988 Bathurst winner in Longhursts hands before he took all the good bits off and sold it Ken
Old 6 Jun 2014, 04:37 (Ref:3416022)   #40
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Ray Lintott had campaigned a Sierra with Valvoline sponsorship during 1990. It was an ex DJR car with assistance from DJR. Which car was it? I have always wondered if it was a brand new vehicle or on old one they had on sold
Old 6 Jun 2014, 05:45 (Ref:3416031)   #41
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the story at the time was that it was brand new.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 09:37 (Ref:3416089)   #42
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
Ray Lintott had campaigned a Sierra with Valvoline sponsorship during 1990. It was an ex DJR car with assistance from DJR. Which car was it? I have always wondered if it was a brand new vehicle or on old one they had on sold
It was DJR3, the 1988 ATCC winner, and the car that DJR took to the Silverstone TT in 1988. The car became Bowe's for 1989, before being sold to Lintott for 1990.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 07:54 (Ref:3416457)   #43
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
It was DJR3, the 1988 ATCC winner, and the car that DJR took to the Silverstone TT in 1988. The car became Bowe's for 1989, before being sold to Lintott for 1990.
Thanks
Old 7 Jun 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3416477)   #44
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unusual to see a BMW 635 (Carrig), Ford Mustang (Nelson) and Rover Vitesse (Herbert) competing in 1990, when they were no longer truly competitive. When did the homologation run out for these cars?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3416539)   #45
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
The 635CSI was raced up until 1992 I think. If the manufacturer keeps renewing the Homologation like Toyota did with the AE86 Sprinter then it doesn't run out