Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Nov 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2992077)   #1101
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That twit seems to be about touring cars.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2992094)   #1102
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
You can change displacement and modify them, but the engine has to be based on the road car models.
well, if we speak about the 6.0 LS7 that was used in 2009 c6r gt2 this is true, because was just a katech LS7 with a reduced stroke. But i don't know how much relationship may be between the actual 5.5 v8 and the LS9 of the road corvette zr1, then because of reliabilty i don't know how much wise is to use a turbo engine for endurance GT racing. For this reason in my opinion nissan will find a way to use his VK45 in a still unconfirmed gt-r gte.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2992105)   #1103
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
well, if we speak about the 6.0 LS7 that was used in 2009 c6r gt2 this is true, because was just a katech LS7 with a reduced stroke. But i don't know how much relationship may be between the actual 5.5 v8 and the LS9 of the road corvette zr1, then because of reliabilty i don't know how much wise is to use a turbo engine for endurance GT racing. For this reason in my opinion nissan will find a way to use his VK45 in a still unconfirmed gt-r gte.
I remember hearing that Chevrolet was going to put a 5.5L V8 into the Corvette C7 before they trashed those plans, maybe that one is derived from the racing engine? Unless the race engine is just a downsized version of one of the current V8s.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2992112)   #1104
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
I remember hearing that Chevrolet was going to put a 5.5L V8 into the Corvette C7 before they trashed those plans, maybe that one is derived from the racing engine? Unless the race engine is just a downsized version of one of the current V8s.
the downsized version of "base structure" LS7 was the one used in the 2009 corvette gt2 (it was a katech as said before, but katech has the same base structure so however is correct). The engine used since 2010 has been developed from scratch and then built by GM just to power the corvette c6.r gt2, no other GM LS series engine for road car has that displacement or some reference to the engine used in corvette gte cars, and even if road engines all belong to LS series, many of these have huge differences each other, so for the "LS" there is not even a common base.
For all these reason i think that the swap of engines is permitted.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2992156)   #1105
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not just read the rules?

The block and heads have to be from the road car, but changing the displacement (either by sleeving or boring out) is permitted.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2992181)   #1106
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah read the rules...

d/ To be equipped with an engine used in aproduction car and made in a quantity of at least
300 units.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2992183)   #1107
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah read the rules..... it must use A production engine... doesnt say it has to be from that car.

d/ To be equipped with an engine used in a
production car and made in a quantity of at least
300 units.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2992193)   #1108
Dented Table
Rookie

United States
Flagstaff, AZ
Dented Table should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Could Toyota run a Lexus LFA in GTE as well as their p1 programme? Who else could it be?

Nissan,
Jaguar
Aston
Mercedes (with Mika Hakinen?)
BMW
Corvette
It very well could be all. Like you said, Lexus could indeed run the LFA in the World Endurance Championship. You know how Ratel loves to add more manufacturers to his GT1/GT3 deal, not that it directly correlates to the manufacturers chosen to race in a completely different series.

Since there are so many different models of these brands, I could see a Nissan GT-R run Le Mans like they did with the Blancpain Endurance Series. I would like to see that.

Jaguar has already run the XKR, rather unsuccesfully, at Le Mans. Hopefully they will enter and try their luck again.

Aston Martin will continue with the Vantage, probably. However, it could very well switch to the DBRS9. The reason I doubt it is that the DBRS9 runs at a higher RPM, being a V-12. The V-12s tend to be more finicky than the V8s in the long run, so why take the chance?

I think there is simply no denying there will be a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG team driving GTE next year. The car is great, and they aren't short on budget. The only thing to worry about is how it performs in endurance races.

BMW will stay with the M3, I'm sure.

(Chevrolet) Corvette will stay with ZR1, probably. They could run a Camaro in place of the Corvette, though. I don't know how it would perform against the big guns. Its only endurance experience is at the 24 Hours of Daytona, but the GT class there is slower than in the Le Mans GTE category.

What about Lamborghini? They could run the Gallardo!
Old 27 Nov 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2992194)   #1109
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
yeah read the rules..... it must use A production engine... doesnt say it has to be from that car.

d/ To be equipped with an engine used in a
production car and made in a quantity of at least
300 units.
True. In article 5 they talk about changes from the series vehicle and I assumed that to mean the road version of the race car. But in this context series vehicle presumably means whatever vehicle the engine originally is from, not necessarily the one the race car is based on.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2992200)   #1110
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
True. In article 5 they talk about changes from the series vehicle and I assumed that to mean the road version of the race car. But in this context series vehicle presumably means whatever vehicle the engine originally is from, not necessarily the one the race car is based on.
well, sometimes an interpretation of what you can read is required....
Old 27 Nov 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2992224)   #1111
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Of course, as we all know, the ACO is like NASCAR when it comes to interpreting their own rules...
Old 28 Nov 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2992250)   #1112
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Of course, as we all know, the ACO is like NASCAR when it comes to interpreting their own rules...
At least the ACO makes them public...
Old 28 Nov 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2992254)   #1113
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a rumor about Strakka possibly running a LMP2? If so, I wonder if Leventis might drive that and put pros in the P1. Also, perhaps that effort might get some money from somewhere in Honda business structure. Perhaps it would be supported by HPD ala the Highcroft effort or something like that. Wasn't the ARX-03a LMP1 announced as a Honda branded chassis and not a HPD branded chassis?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 02:56 (Ref:2992260)   #1114
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Could it be the McLaren MP4/12? Jenson Button said that will race Le Mans next year. http://www.lemans.org/fr/actualites/...226;_5414.html
If I can trust my very rusty French, JB said that he'd like to race at Le Mans next year, but doesn't know if he'll have the chance.
Quote:
« J’aimerais courir au Mans l’année prochaine, a-t-il avancé Ã* Suzuka. Je ne suis pas sûr que l’on m’autorise Ã* le faire… Mais oui, j’adorerais. »
Old 28 Nov 2011, 05:09 (Ref:2992279)   #1115
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Methinks Jenson will do good in Le Mans- IF he gets that chance.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2992283)   #1116
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Methinks Jenson will do good in Le Mans- IF he gets that chance.
He is quick, smart, and gentle on his tires so I tend to agree with you. I think out of F1 Alonso would do well in endurance racing as well.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2992337)   #1117
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
If I can trust my very rusty French, JB said that he'd like to race at Le Mans next year, but doesn't know if he'll have the chance.
Yes, that's it. He says he want to do it but is not sure weather he'll be allowed to. (I think sadly Kubica's accident has tightened the screw for F1 level drivers engaged in high profile series, and it is probably harder now for them to compete in any other motorsport during their season.)

My guess is that he has a proposition to do LM, and try to negociate with Mac Laren to be allowed to do it...

It can only be good for Sportscar to get more highly mediatic entries, but with the level now so high in the different classes I doubt even a driver of Button's calibre can meet succes with fugitive involvement.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2992343)   #1118
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
Yes, that's it. He says he want to do it but is not sure weather he'll be allowed to. (I think sadly Kubica's accident has tightened the screw for F1 level drivers engaged in high profile series, and it is probably harder now for them to compete in any other motorsport during their season.)

My guess is that he has a proposition to do LM, and try to negociate with Mac Laren to be allowed to do it...

It can only be good for Sportscar to get more highly mediatic entries, but with the level now so high in the different classes I doubt even a driver of Button's calibre can meet succes with fugitive involvement.
I would love to see top level Formula 1 drivers doing apperances in sportscars again like back in the day!

Sadly I think you're right about the Formula 1 teams not beeing very happy about it. Bernie would probably do everything he could to prevent it too.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2992453)   #1119
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to the Honda announcement, I know of a great place to let the kitty out of the bag:

The Tokyo Motor Show is next week.

Will the ORECA Toyota be showing a mockup?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2992545)   #1120
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With regards to the Honda announcement, I know of a great place to let the kitty out of the bag:

Specifically Dec 3 - 11. I was thinking the same thing... if this Honda rumor falls flat then I hope at least Toyota has something to announce or show.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2992665)   #1121
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Just to be clear - The car is not an ORECA Toyota - ORECA are providing race and logistical support - The car is designed and built by TMG
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2992674)   #1122
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^Graham, excluding Honda, are you hearing of any other LMP1 factory efforts in the works? If not for 2012 then maybe 2013? Bentley? Jaguar seems dead in the water based on their comments.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2992678)   #1123
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
^Graham, excluding Honda, are you hearing of any other LMP1 factory efforts in the works? If not for 2012 then maybe 2013? Bentley? Jaguar seems dead in the water based on their comments.
Nothing more for 2013 it seems - Beyond that we'll see - Others interested - Nothing firmed up yet
Old 28 Nov 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2992705)   #1124
Dented Table
Rookie

United States
Flagstaff, AZ
Dented Table should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Nothing more for 2013 it seems - Beyond that we'll see - Others interested - Nothing firmed up yet

What about that Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid thingamabobber they were talking about at Planetlemans.com? 2014.

- Buddha
Old 29 Nov 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2992760)   #1125
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Table View Post
What about that Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid thingamabobber they were talking about at Planetlemans.com? 2014.
The Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid thingamabobber is not a LMP.