Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Feb 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3711271)   #401
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
The Challenger is hardly a good platform for building a GT racer from I think. It's quite old really, and quite heavy. If I remember correctly, when Blackforest tried to run the car in GS they really struggled to get weight out of the car and, if I'm thinking of the right car, had to also have a special aluminum block based engine built for it for it as apparently the 3rd gen Hemi wasn't a good basis for building a reliable road racing motor.
IMO, Blackforest isn't the best yardstick for developmental capacity(not saying they were BAD, just that they're not the top dog).

The Camaro frankly isn't a much better base for a GT car - the GS Camaro never exactly blew away the competition, though later developments made it a competitive GT4 car, and GM's regular development of the road car has now generated a version of it that make a much better GT4 base.

If Chrysler put their all into it, I've no doubt the Challenger could be made into a really good GT4 car.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3711300)   #402
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Challenger is just a two door Charger/300.

Nice looking car, but it is really lazy of Chrysler to not have a dedicated platform for their challenger.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 23:19 (Ref:3711310)   #403
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
The Challenger is just a two door Charger/300
Which, honestly, is NOT a bad platform to build off of - though far from a shining beacon of awesomeness as a base for a racing machine. It's not something that's going to be easy to make a road racer, but it can certainly be done if the right people are put behind it.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3715580)   #404
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Been a while, but finally a nice looking racecar from Panoz again:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...aks-cover.html
Old 2 Mar 2017, 04:46 (Ref:3715706)   #405
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Been a while, but finally a nice looking racecar from Panoz again:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...aks-cover.html
I wish I could go back to 2008, too.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3720058)   #406
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Completely under the radar, Jaguar have announced a in house GT4 F Type to debut in GT4 euro Series in the later part of the season

The car has been privately commissioned by James Holder founder of Superdrug clothing, who is currently due to run a Generation AMR Aston in this years GT4 Southern Cup
Old 12 Apr 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3725657)   #407
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi unveils R8 GT4

I thought the rumor a while back was that it would be a TT, but I had been thinking that with the introduction of the McLaren and the AMG GT on the way, that a TT wouldn't be "enough" with the direction the class was going.

It doesn't say in the article but I assume it has been converted to RWD.

I liked the idea of GT4 being a bit like CTSCC was with $30-60k sporty cars like the Camaro and Mustang and 370Z and Cayman, where an Audi TT and something maybe like a Mercedes SLC could fit in.

Instead, the class is basically turning into GT3 with less aero now... Not that that is necessarily a bad thing as these are cool cars, but I guess I like it when there are different models in the different classes to further distinguish them.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3725674)   #408
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Audi unveils R8 GT4

I thought the rumor a while back was that it would be a TT, but I had been thinking that with the introduction of the McLaren and the AMG GT on the way, that a TT wouldn't be "enough" with the direction the class was going.

It doesn't say in the article but I assume it has been converted to RWD.

I liked the idea of GT4 being a bit like CTSCC was with $30-60k sporty cars like the Camaro and Mustang and 370Z and Cayman, where an Audi TT and something maybe like a Mercedes SLC could fit in.

Instead, the class is basically turning into GT3 with less aero now... Not that that is necessarily a bad thing as these are cool cars, but I guess I like it when there are different models in the different classes to further distinguish them.
I think that's what many punters were hoping for - even myself - but however there are a few things to consider when you look at long established runners in GT4;

McLaren's baby car is the 570S - and road car costs similar (in the US) to Aston's Baby car the Vantage V8 - which has been a GT4 stalwart for as long as most people remember.

The BMW M4 GT4 is based off the road going M4 GTS- not a cheap car either - equivalent in price to the AMG GT base model...

I could go on and on - but GT4 also has Maserati Gran Turismo's which cost a bomb - imagine what the cheapest Ferrari will cost in GT4 $ - or pray tell any future Lambo.

Anyway - the beauty of GT4 is you can buy whatever suits your budget and as long as you do well within the BoP your in with a shot. Big spenders wont necessarily win every time.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 05:42 (Ref:3725688)   #409
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's turning into a joke. Why does GT4 need these cars? In five years they'll sprout wings and it'll be GT3 as GT3 cars become more purpose built and in the vein of the old GT2 while GTE is already becoming like GT1 of the mid late 00's. Why do we keep pushing small bore racers out of competition and wondering why racing is losing fans that are INTO cars? Why do we keep pushing them out and wondering why we can't get affordable sports cars? Formula car engines are getting smaller and sportscar engines are getting bigger. How does this work?

Stupid ideas, these. The Jag and the Merc were borderline but still somewhat within the spirit of the class. Now I'm supposed to believe a mid engined V10 supercar is supposed to be a fit in this class?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3725695)   #410
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
What's going on in this class? I see 150, 200K sportscars and exotics... in GT4. I thought that was supposed to be an entry level class with cheap costs? Cool cars, but keep them in GT3 or something.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3725716)   #411
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You know what we need? GT5! Then we'll have a McLaren and Audi in that too....then GT6.

It is a silly cycle. GT4 needs to be kept down a bit.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3725722)   #412
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
No, they just need to rename their classes. GT4 today is filling exactly the niche that GT3 filled in 2006 - and they are actually a lot more successful with that model than with the old mid-segment sporty cars.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3725726)   #413
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately, this was inevitable without the SRO stepping in to curb the excess, but that would mean less factory dollar going their way, indirectly or otherwise. GT3 seems to be doing well for now with excellent grid counts around the globe, but a significant proportion of these are de-facto(ry) entrants. Ratel is usually on the ball with his calls, so it would surprise me if this didn't at least raise his eyebrow.

As for the R8 GT4 specifically, it's an odd choice when their are at least a couple of RS cars that would better fit the class, particularly the RS3. But converting an RS to RWD when the work has already been done for the R8 wouldn't be a prudent fiscal move, dare I say particularly so for a manufacturer who wants to be seen to making the most of their resources?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3725740)   #414
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no doubt that GT4 lost his roots...
from barely street cars with wings and slick tyres we got cheaper and detuned gt3.5 cars.

Anyway, anything goes until it works
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3725753)   #415
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
no doubt that GT4 lost his roots...
In this case, that's not necessarily a bad thing - the old Mustang vs Camaro vs Porsche approach clearly wasn't working anymore, not even in the US. And with GT3 becoming more and more advanced and costly, there was always going to be a demand for a new entry-level class. The only question was if it would be based on GT4 or if GT4 would remain in its (somewhat unpopular) niche and there would be something entirely new or Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari-Cup-car-based in between the two.

Last edited by Speed-King; 12 Apr 2017 at 09:32.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:38 (Ref:3725757)   #416
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Ironically, it could be argued that it was also the R8 that started the current GT3 heading in its more extreme, exotic direction. History repeats?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3725759)   #417
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
In this case, that's not necessarily a bad thing - the old Mustang vs Camaro vs Porsche approach clearly wasn't working anymore, not even in the US. And with GT3 becoming more and more advanced and costly, there was always going to be a demand for a new entry-level class. The only question was if it would be based on GT4 or if GT4 would remain in its (somewhat unpopular) niche and there would be something entirely new or Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari-Cup-car-based in between the two.

Guess it's all about to see how good for manufacturers would be a gt4 business... if there will be some profit, surely ferrari, porsche and lamborghini will convert easily their cup/trofeo/challenge models in gt4 specs.

Just a question: is AWD or RWD r8 gt4?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3725760)   #418
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Ironically, it could be argued that it was also the R8 that started the current GT3 heading in its more extreme, exotic direction. History repeats?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
it's not wrong, in 2009 r8 was the first gt3 built directly from the manufacturer, all other models were built/tuned by reiter, kessel, alpine, matech etc.....
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3725776)   #419
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Just a question: is AWD or RWD r8 gt4?
The regs state that it has to be RWD. That might have had a part to play in choosing the R8 (which has already had this conversion for the GT3) over an FWD TT-RS.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3725777)   #420
Speed-King
Veteran

What we shouldn't forget is what the big manufacturers can bring to the series in terms of activation and PR. There is a BMW France team this year in FFSA GT/GT4-ES Southern Cup. While it is of course no full on pukka works team like Schnitzer or RBM, it‘s still a big step in the right direction and something we haven't seen in France since the Supertouring days of the 90s. If Audi and Merc can do the same (and maybe Renault manages to build an Alpine GT4) that'll really help the series gaining popularity.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3725791)   #421
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there/should there be a price cap in GT4?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3725811)   #422
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess GT4 is already plenty far down the path of GT3 in that all the smaller car builders are being driven out and the road cars that the race cars are based on are already up a tier from what they were for the most part, so it might as well gain some more popularity as it's too late to keep it a nice "little" thing.

I just hope we have some good variety as all the cars become available. I guess it sounds kinda "first world problems" but I don't want to see it turn into the GT3 thing where every grid is 90% R8s, AMG GTs and Huracans with a handful of McLarens thrown in... Although for GT4 the Cayman would probably take the place of the Huracan.

Will be interesting to watch how the situation develops over the next couple of years. Will the Sins, Ginettas and KTMs be further BOP'd out of it as all the big manufacturers won't like "kit cars" beating them? Will we see any Camaros or Mustangs overseas? Will the M4 prove to be a popular option or will the wealthy gentleman prefer the "prestige" of borderline supercars like the McLaren and R8 over sports coupes? With all the new options will the Astons be able to stay relevant? Do Maseratis and Nissans have any chance at relevance? Will the Jaguar show up? Could a Lotus pop up again? Plenty of things to watch.

Last edited by Accident; 12 Apr 2017 at 11:46.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3725864)   #423
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT4 - The future...?

GT4 is now the Pro Am & Am Am version of GT3.

GT3 is now heavily Pro Pro and Pro Am.

Honestly I'm not sure if I can how it works as long as the Racing is brilliant. Which it currently is in GT3 and GT4. And plenty people are buying these new cars so they can't be so wrong
Old 12 Apr 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3725950)   #424
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Running costs of a GT4 are still way below that of a GT3 and it's those 'hidden costs' that make it expensive.

Then again, if you want cheap....don't go racing ;-)
Old 12 Apr 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3725970)   #425
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
Then again, if you want cheap....don't go racing ;-)
Or just go race in Formula Vee.