Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jan 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3792504)   #46
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WRC has been producing TV footage for decades.
But they have struggled to atract viewers.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3792682)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
At lease we have got decent coverage again
Old 14 Jan 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3792720)   #48
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How will the recent snow fall impact the Monte?
Old 15 Jan 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3792826)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
How will the recent snow fall impact the Monte?
Should make it better than the last few years? There's been too much tarmac over the last few seasons - Monte should be all snow and ice!

Speaking of snowfall - the rally Sweden organisers posted a photo showing the snowbanks at the edge of their stages - about a metre tall so far
Old 15 Jan 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3792933)   #50
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Speaking of snowfall - the rally Sweden organisers posted a photo showing the snowbanks at the edge of their stages - about a metre tall so far
Best winter in years in Sweden, or at least in the top half of Všrmland. The "glory days" of Rally Sweden with lots of snow and snowbanks are probably gone so the conditions at the moment are extremely good.

Some of the stages are on higher ground though so the stages can differ quite a lot. I live just one km from last years Knon stage and there is much less snow here than on the pics from the stages.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3795225)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
The Monte Carlo is up and running

Looks like there have been a few dramas already with people suffering with punctures (and Mikklesen with an alternator issue). Tanak looks to have got to grips with the Toyota as he's already notched up a stage win.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3795241)   #52
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Looks like there have been a few dramas already with people suffering with punctures (and Mikklesen with an alternator issue). Tanak looks to have got to grips with the Toyota as he's already notched up a stage win.
Still think its real shame that he isn't in the Fiesta again, but I hope he does well in the Yaris: early signs are definitely encouraging. I think Latvala could end up looking like the number two driver in that team before long!

Not a great start for Neuville, there is a certain amount of pot luck on the Monte though, so plenty of time for change yet!
Old 26 Jan 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3795283)   #53
Monaaniston
Rookie

Monaaniston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Rally Championship 2018

Well! what a roller coaster it has been to see Sťbastien Loeb inking his name in the history from 2004 to 2012 and than Sťbastien Ogier from 2013 to 2017.

Who do you think is taking it home this time?
Old 27 Jan 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3795469)   #54
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ford has Ogier and Evans. They are serious candidates.

Hyundai has Neuville and Mikkelsen. Also serious candidates.

Toyota has Latvala, Tanšk and Lappi. Not bad, but less competitive.

CitroŽn has Meeke and Breen. I don't expect anything from them.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3795798)   #55
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
...I think Latvala could end up looking like the number two driver in that team before long!...
The dynamics in that team is going to be very interesting to watch. Latvala may find another level he didn't know he had or he may disintegrate psychologically as he realises he has been superceded.

On a different note, does anybody know why Sordo and Marc Marti parted ways? I see Carlos del Barrio is back. I remember ages ago the look of sheer terror on his face as his then driver Xavi Pons (that bloke had a proper fiery temperament!) was ripping into him after a pace note mistake.

Enjoying the rally so far. Really tricky stuff as usual; the Monte is endurance.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3796399)   #56
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
The dynamics in that team is going to be very interesting to watch. Latvala may find another level he didn't know he had or he may disintegrate psychologically as he realises he has been superceded.
Well Latvala didn't find the extra level against Ogier - I don't think he has one. He's a good driver but like Hirvonen seems to just fall short of greatness,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Enjoying the rally so far. Really tricky stuff as usual; the Monte is endurance.
It's been good hasn't it? There have been some sections that have been absolutely flat out and other where the cars are barely moving (and still going off!). I don't think anyone has had a clear run have they?
Old 29 Jan 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3796556)   #57
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual some spectators are putting themselves at risk, watching those off road excursions across the snow covered fields was quite alarming. On those flat, straight sections the cars were travelling at very high speeds and the onlookers lining the roadside snow banks would stand no chance of leaping out of the way of an errant vehicle. I'm not an H & S fanatic having attended hundreds of live motor racing events in all sorts of disciplines I know what a thrill it is to witness the action close up but the horrors of a big off ploughing through spectators is distinct possibility.
Elfyn Evans is putting in a strong performance alongside his more illustrious team mate.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3796565)   #58
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monte was the same last year, there were long sections clearly marked with "No spectator" signs and you could barely see the signs for all the people standing round them!

I have seen a few alarming moments from this years Monte but, in terms of crowd danger, nothing like we saw in Poland last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa
Yeah, I agree. I hope its the former but I suspect its going to be the latter.

Great opening result for Tanak and good fight backs from Evans and Neuville. Good push from Meeke on the power stage as well, at least he got something positive out of the weekend.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3796580)   #59
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A handful of comments about the Monte, and at a quiet time for motorsport (apart from Daytona)....Is rallying really that unpopular?

Good event, but not much real drama. I don’t think we’ve seen a properly epic Monte since the IRC days, especially the 2011 that Bouffier won.

However, a clever drive from Ogier; paced himself, was fast when needed, and had a bit of luck, but that is the Monte. Evans was hampered by a puncture and set some fast times. I think M-Sport will be consistent everywere, without necessary being the fastest.

Toyota look to be in a good place, and Tanak was impressive in his first event with them – Latvala took a decent 3rd place, and Lappi showed some pace before a slight off on the final stage.

Hyundai need to work on their reliability, as the speed is there; Neuville rescued 5th place with a good drive after his off on the first icy, dark stage.

As for Citroen, I’m not sure were they are; Meeke pulled a rabbit out of the hat on the final stage and claimed 4th place, plus a Power stage 5 point bonus. Breen had one of those events were nothing seemed to go right.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3796628)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Televised rally isn't really about the competition, but about cars driving seriously fast on narrow public roads.