Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1764400)   #1
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarvis in his first weekend racing for GBR looked more convincing than Kerr ever has...
Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1764401)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
amen to that...
Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1764402)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Manning and Jarvis is the way forward for GBR I feel. Kerr wasn't bad, but we weren't getting anywhere with him.

I thought Jarvis did a great job this weekend all things considered. A large slice of luck in the feature was great reward.

Another thing that surprised me was how tight the points battle is.....it is absolutely as close as you like!
Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1764407)   #4
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
Jarvis in his first weekend racing for GBR looked more convincing than Kerr ever has...
I must have been watching a different race

race One he was dropping back rather than attacking
and race two - fair play he stayed on the track but who did he actually overtake during the race, he drove like a scared little boy who was out driving his dads car.
Im glad you lot aren't chosing the driver line up cos i want to see racing not follow the leader.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1764420)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well race one, nobody really made any moves. The sprint race offers little in the way of points, so the risk to the race two starting position isn't worth it.

I too like to see racing, but at Beijing this is not going to happen.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1764428)   #6
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Well race one, nobody really made any moves. The sprint race offers little in the way of points, so the risk to the race two starting position isn't worth it.

I too like to see racing, but at Beijing this is not going to happen.
Jarvis obviously thought it would be easier to defend than attack.

Im not knocking the result but Luck played a massive part and for once, for TEAM GB it went the right way, even after thier initial plan backfired.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1764443)   #7
outflat
Racer

nev - a quick search of your posts reveals this

1) You think Robbie Kerr's brilliant
2) You think every other British driver's over-rated
3) You think A1 team GBR is rubbish

Is your response to today's race just another example of not letting facts get in the way of your own Kerr-tinted glasses?
Old 12 Nov 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1764470)   #8
nev
Racer

Quote:

Is your response to today's race just another example of not letting facts get in the way of your own Kerr-tinted glasses?
No - Yours

I do think Robbie is better than Manning and Jarvis, i also do think that the team play a massive part in the results, so does luck.
I also think im entitled to rubbish other peoples unfounded remarks.
No i dont think every other British driver is rubbish, Justin Wilson is a brilliant driver and so is Marc Hynes.
And as far as the Team is concerned, i express my opinion about it being the teams fault when they fail rather than always automatically blaming the driver, especially when its Robbie.
Maybe if i was sad enough to tredge through all your posts i too would gain an "acurate" picture of you.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1764472)   #9
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I agree, finishing second may have been lucky, but he didn't bin it like the team NED driver so its not all luck.

Nev don't be so biased!
Old 12 Nov 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1764473)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Calm down Robbie.

The team has failed on a number of occasions, I totally agree. I don't think Robbie has done a lot wrong either. He is just nothing special and it is nice to see others getting a shot.

We saw how Manning came flying out of the traps quite nicely at Shanghai last season for example. I'd favour him of the three drivers, as he has some good experience to draw on. And I'd like to see Jarvis getting some shots as well to prove himself.

Robbie has had a full seasons worth of races, so I'd like to see him try his hand at something else.

Anyhow, we are moving drastically away from the Beijing topic here...
Old 12 Nov 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1764482)   #11
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
fair play he stayed on the track .
Cool ive never had to quote myself before but i too think he did well not to bin it like many others.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1764509)   #12
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jarvis didn't make a big mistake like Manning did ... having said that he wasn't really on the pace either. Neither was Manning in the race. In fact no-one in the GBR car has been so far (including Kerr). I suspect Jarvis would not have done so well on a track where the faster guys can make their way through the field, or in a race without so many safety cars.

These forums are very anti-Kerr for some reason - hopefully we'll see what he can really do next race. How quickly people here forget Kerr driving from last place to 2nd last season ... far more impressive than Jarvis going steady and waiting for 50% (literally!) of the field to fall off, helped by the safety car no end. He's probably glad Arden aren't running the team anymore otherwise he'd have been last to pit!!

Personally I just want to see GBR win ... its about time really!!
Old 12 Nov 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1764528)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
far more impressive than Jarvis going steady and waiting for 50% (literally!) of the field to fall off, helped by the safety car no end. He's probably glad Arden aren't running the team anymore otherwise he'd have been last to pit!!

Personally I just want to see GBR win ... its about time really!!
Just to set the record straight... Jarvis started the first race 8th (after the non-qualifying session), he finished 7th in the sprint race, moving up to 2nd in the feature race. Only Bleekemolen fell off in front of him and Hulkenberg retired. Some others screwed up their pit stops.

This was his first race for Team GBR after a minimal amount of testing on circuit where overtaking was to all intents and purposes impossible. I'd say that was pretty damn good.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 23:17 (Ref:1764532)   #14
outflat
Racer

Absolutely.

They should keep him in for Sepang after this.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1764704)   #15
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I suggest a separate Team GBR thread as there are obviously a few people with strong opinions on GBR drivers?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1764773)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Can I suggest a separate Team GBR thread as there are obviously a few people with strong opinions on GBR drivers?
Done - but just to remind people this isn't a chance to "bash" one driver over an other; nor to attack each other for having different views.

Carry on
Old 13 Nov 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1765015)   #17
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Anyone that has a good opinion of Kerr appears to get slated/flamed immediately - e.g Nev being accused of being Robbie! Why don't fans of Manning & Jarvis get the same treatment? I also received a lot of stick for complaining about Arden (who got fired).

The fact is, even Surtees has now called Jarvis' race as 'sensible' and 'mature' ... he didn't have great pace, he just kept the fortunate advantage given to him by the timing of his pit and the safety cars. In a normal race he wouldn't have been up there. In the warm-up session he was nowhere (neither were Ned & Italy so what does that say about the pit stops being the deciding factor!?).

Canada's pace was very impressive - again a rookie with only 1 race more A1 experience than Jarvis and the team sharing data with GBR.

I think Canada should be the yardstick for how to judge the GBR drivers as we know other teams have certain advantages/disadvantages.

Personally I think Jarvis and Kerr would make a great team going forward. Put Jarvis in on the new tracks so he can use the Rookie session to good effect. Robbie in for the rest.

For sure we should be giving Canada a run for their money!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1765063)   #18
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarvis ran a very strong and clever race. He's a clever lad and i'm sure the team now know who they will pick for Sepang. The team have access to all the facts and will know the pros and cons each driver brings. The one who lines up in Sepang is telling of their opinion on who has the greatest potential short-term...
Old 13 Nov 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1765090)   #19
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to be a big Kerr fan and after he defeated James Courtney to win the 2002 British F3 Championship I thought he was really something special.

He had a couple of bit seasons but on the whole the past two years he's dissapointed me. His racecraft seems good and he's not scared of sticking it in there but his overall pace isn't as strong as some and his performance in WSR this year has been very ordinary to say the least.

Manning has the experience and I'm sure is the man to lead the team from now on but Jarvis did an excellent job yesterday. He may not have been the quickest man out there but compared to some of the guys ahead of him he also didn't have the experience of both the car and the series. He kept his head and was rewarded for it - I'm sure on a more open circuit with plenty of track time he would be given the chance to truly show his clear talents.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1765106)   #20
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see the team being made up of Manning and Jarvis with the team pushing as hard as possible to get Wilson in for a few drives. I still think that after this years performances in WSR Kerr is not up to the required standard. A driver with his experience should have blitzed the field but he was rubbish to be honest. And now a rookie in his first race has managed to get the joint-best result for the GB team whether by luck or skill. Kerr should be very worried about that.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 13 Nov 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1765134)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think it's not as much that kerr should have "blitzed" the world series field, but he should have at least beat sean mcintosh...
Old 13 Nov 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1765149)   #22
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
I'd like to see the team being made up of Manning and Jarvis with the team pushing as hard as possible to get Wilson in for a few drives. .
Why would Wilson bother about A1gp hes doing great where he is. By doing A1GP can't progress his career any further only make him look silly if he fails to perform. thats why you will always get drivers who have nowhere else to turn driving in A1. Ok you will see the odd Playboy in there but A1 isn't a great stepping stone into anything descent.

Oh and this doesn't mean im Justin Wilson either
Old 13 Nov 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1765162)   #23
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion is that Darren Manning is probably the most accomplished of the three British drivers in A1GP, whilst Jarvis does seem to have the greatest amount of potential. Therefore, I think that the bulk of driving duties should be shared between those two. As for Robbie Kerr, he had a good number of chances last year and whilst he was good, he wasn't inspirational so a change is probably a good thing.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1765165)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Why would Wilson bother about A1gp hes doing great where he is. By doing A1GP can't progress his career any further only make him look silly if he fails to perform. thats why you will always get drivers who have nowhere else to turn driving in A1. Ok you will see the odd Playboy in there but A1 isn't a great stepping stone into anything descent.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Oh and this doesn't mean im Justin Wilson either
Old 13 Nov 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1765204)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I think we should get Jason Plato in there. He has talent and experience.