Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Apr 2007, 01:51 (Ref:1884576)   #1
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Ten Champ Car Drivers

I found this on the chamop car website. Surprisingly Sebass is not on the list.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=11374
Old 6 Apr 2007, 02:51 (Ref:1884595)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well. I had my list formulated in my head as the page loaded.

And it wasn't what came up, it was what I thought of, plus the guys I missed.

In short, thats a list! (Well, I woulda added Mikey over Tracy, but what the hey.)
Old 6 Apr 2007, 03:02 (Ref:1884598)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I guess this is the list:

10. Adrian Fernandez
9. Al Unser Jr.
8. Rick Mears
7. Emmerson Fittipaldi
6. Nigel Mansell
5. Michael Andretti
4. Paul Tracy
3. Greg Moore
2. Alex Zanardi
1. Mario Andretti

Reading between the lines, a lot of it seems to be based largely on driver's marketability and fan appeal than actual driving talent and accomplishments.

They're all good drivers, but I personally would like to have seen Montoya and Bourdais included - probably at the expense of Mansell & Fernandez.
Old 6 Apr 2007, 03:46 (Ref:1884617)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve should really be included as well.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Apr 2007, 04:12 (Ref:1884624)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Realistically PT should be lower on the list (higher number). Greg Moore was a heck of a driver, but we didn't really get to see what he was fully capable of so I can't see him being where he is, if on the list at all. Fernandez shouldn't be on the list. Lots of other drivers were more impressive. I think Mario is quiet possibly the greatest driver to compete in CC, but I don't know that he was the greatest driver from a purely CC sense.

I'd agree that JPM should have been on that list. In a CC he was an absolute master, I've never seen anything like it. He accomplished very little compared to his actual form. While he had to try it, I think he was just much better suited to CC than F1 or Nascar. CC's require a lot of reaction in skill, but still let the driver slide, correct, etc. They're not the finicy knifes edge of an F1 car.

As for JV he was an excellent CC driver, but it's hard to argue that he accomplished more in CC than say CDM, Gil de Faren or Bobby Rahal. Even Jimmy Vasser for that matter. While JV was excellent, he certainly didn't dominate. Perhaps he improved in F1 or he was suited to it, but I think it was more a testimony to the level of talent in CC.

Zanardi was certainly good, although I never actually liked him. I suppose a decent case can be made for his inclusion, but not at #3.

I'd definately agree that Bourdais should be on the list too. While he raises the level of competition in CC, it's utterly obsurd that F1 cannot recognize what he has.
Old 6 Apr 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1884769)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised Mansell is on the list as he was only in the series for two years, but I guess a lot is based on the fact he won the series as a rookie - only one win on a non-oval! - and really put the series on the map by moving there as the reigning Formula One World Champion.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1885360)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Greg Moore. As fabulous a driver as he was, he can't really be put on the list that high, if at all. People are letting emotion take over there, because although we know he'd quite likely have won have won titles in 2000 or 2001 (and beyond perhaps) circumstances meant he didn't and he can't be third best! Nice sentiment though, I suppose.

I'd also think Montoya should be included, but I am thoroughly biased on that one I guess.

Bourdais too, although he is rather unfortunately hampered by the weak state of the series since he arrived.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1885373)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Knowlesy. Absolutely no disrespect intended to Greg, but his career was cut short way before he could amass the results he was capable of.

This would be like listing Francois Cevert as one of the top ten F1 drivers of all time. Could he have been? Certainly - massive talent. Did he have time to demonstrate it? Sadly, no.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1885395)   #9
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nothing to do with the top 10 Champ Car drivers. Look again and you'll see it's the biggest 10 stars from Champ Car. So you've all got the wrong end of the stick.

No wonder Bourdais isn't on it! No wonder PT is so high up.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1885491)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Either way, Greg Moore became more of a star in people's minds after his death. I would still say that Michael Andretti, JP Montoya , Teo Fabi and Gil de Ferren (sic) had large and loyal contingents of fans and brought a goodly amount of star power if you will to CART.

But, like any other type of "list" these are very subjective and vary widely based on the viewpoint of the compiler.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1885531)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed Lighning Bug, there's no intention to rate the top 10 drivers in this list, only their supporter base and overall impact on the series.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1885538)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Same thing applies for me.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1885769)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug
It's nothing to do with the top 10 Champ Car drivers. Look again and you'll see it's the biggest 10 stars from Champ Car. So you've all got the wrong end of the stick.

No wonder Bourdais isn't on it! No wonder PT is so high up.
Villeneuve should definitely be on it. He brought a very famous racing name into CART and won the Championship along with Indy 500.

NASCAR's favorite son Dale Jr. is even more famous and he hasn't even won the Cup.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Apr 2007, 04:16 (Ref:1885933)   #14
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
I think Villeneuve should be in there, winning the Indy 500 and a championship is no easy task. Maybe Bobby Rahal could also be there I don’t know much about the way he won his championships but he did win three of them.

I however wouldn't put JPM in the list, even though I think he was great. I think of him as more of a great driver who drove Champ Cars instead of a great Champ Car driver.

And Fernandez could go, his runner up year was hardly noticed by anyone. He made lots of heads turn in Mexico, but he made lots of them shake in disgust when he bailed at long beach in 2004.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1886126)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah, Rahal. Definitely should be there.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 11:23 (Ref:1886297)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Let me put it this way: at every race "back in the day" there was an area reserved for merchandise sales. Various vendors would show up selling everything from key fobs to motorized scooters.

Two drivers had their own 40 foot trailers selling "their" merchandise. One was Al Jr. The other was Michael Andretti. Adrian Fernandez had a Tecate-themed setup but that catered mostly to his team/Tecate. There were other vendors selling a variety of items, but these two were the only ones (that big) selling for a single driver.

Even from a popularity only standpoint, leaving Michael off their list is pretty bogus.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 20:12 (Ref:1886667)   #17
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Let me put it this way: at every race "back in the day" there was an area reserved for merchandise sales. Various vendors would show up selling everything from key fobs to motorized scooters.

Two drivers had their own 40 foot trailers selling "their" merchandise. One was Al Jr. The other was Michael Andretti. Adrian Fernandez had a Tecate-themed setup but that catered mostly to his team/Tecate. There were other vendors selling a variety of items, but these two were the only ones (that big) selling for a single driver.

Even from a popularity only standpoint, leaving Michael off their list is pretty bogus.
Which Michael cause Andretti is 5th on the list.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1887051)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Tenoch, I was having a senior moment! I think I need a nap...
Old 9 Apr 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1887080)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

10. Adrian Fernandez
9. Al Unser Jr.
8. Rick Mears
7. Emmerson Fittipaldi
6. Nigel Mansell
5. Michael Andretti
4. Paul Tracy
3. Greg Moore
2. Alex Zanardi
1. Mario Andretti

Even based on markertability its the silliest list I've seen ... does it mean Champ Car since it was called that or since the inception of the USA open wheeler series?

OK, Mario no doubt #1

Where is?

Dan Gurney
AJ Foyt
JPM
JV
Johnny Rutherford
Will Power (just kidding but he will be considered a great too)
Old 10 Apr 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1888580)   #20
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am simply amazed that Paul Tracy is on that list. I would not have the guy in my top 20.

I notice a lot of Canadians on this Forum, no offence there people.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 00:16 (Ref:1888654)   #21
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this was basically a list of drivers who haven generated the most Media interest over their careers.