Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Nov 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2575094)   #1
///M
Rookie

///M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which University has the best Motorsport Engineering course?

Hello, I have one, simple question. Which University in the UK has the best Motorsport Engineering course? I would like to hear Your opinion. I'm going to start undergraduate course in 2010 and I would like to know where to go. I have a little experience in preparing car for motorsport but I would like to start my career in professional events. Big thanks for help, Mike.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2575182)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really want to do this when I go to uni in 2012.. I do know that there are quite a few that are in the Formula Student thingy. The nearest to me is Strathclyde Uni I think.. I know someone who goes does motorsport engineering, he is really enjoying it too. Ill ask him where he does it when i get the chance.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2575487)   #3
BrendanM
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester
BrendanM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Loughborough has a good automotive engineering faculty and I met a few of the guys at Bruntingthorpe a couple of weeks ago. They were running around in last years Formula Student car as part of prep. work for building this years.

No experience outside that I'm afraid. Also worth considering what other courses on offer if (just in case) you change your mind after a few months and want to focus on (say) aerodynamics or electrics.

IMHO university is about options as much as anything else.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2575510)   #4
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was asked the same question by a friend's son a year ago and referred it to an acquaintance who is head of engineering at a top F1 team.

His answer was Oxford Brookes, followed by a masters at Cranfield.
HTH
Old 4 Nov 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2575648)   #5
///M
Rookie

Thanks for answers. I thought about bachelor of engineering at Swansea University because they have the oldest Motorsport Engineering course in the UK and Master Degreee on Cranfield. I'm waiting for Oxford Brookes prospectus and then I'm going to decide where to go.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2575739)   #6
Helms
Rookie

Helms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard Brunel do a good motorsport course, but i dont know much else other than that.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2575921)   #7
08u05
Racer

08u05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to go racing, putting what you learn in the classroom into a practical application, then UCLan should be your first choice. Students are able to be part of the University racing team, taking part in NW FF1600.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2578303)   #8
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a case of pot luck really when you're looking for a decent Motorsport course. Wherever you go make sure you've got a lecturer who has been in the industry and is well known and not some dude who they transferred from another department of that university/college to suit. Chances are if they don't look like they know much about Motorsport then they probably don't.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2578323)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Oxford Brookes or Coventry. From what i have heard.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2578336)   #10
///M
Rookie

So, Oxford Brookes looks very nice and I will probably decide to study there. It's located in "motorsport valley" and that's big agvantage for me.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2578389)   #11
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best advice one can give is try to talk to the staff who actually teach the course and make sure they are offering the sort of programme that will meet your interests and career needs. Good lecturers and heads of department don't mind this at all - most will be impressed that you've bothered.

I chatted with the UCLAN staff at a recent Autosport show and was impressed by what they are offering (and as a former university lecturer I'm not easily impressed!) It is a very 'hands on' programme and there is good scope to undertake an industry placement year.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2578811)   #12
ls2_297
Rookie

ls2_297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although not in the UK, I'm now in my final year at Edith Cowan University in Perth, Australia studying their BTech Motorsports Degree. We are a part of Formula Student Australia and whilst I've been here I've been involved in 2 cars. Fabricated one, and Lead, Designed and built the other. As with any Motorsports course you have to be absolutely sure thats the field you wish to pursue (many people have since changed to Engineering degrees after realising that the industry is a lot harder then the glitzy and glamorous world as seen on TV.

The best thing I ever did was get down to our local race track (Barbagello Raceway, Wanneroo in my case) and bugged a local team owner to give me some work during race meets. I've now ran a FF1600 for 2yrs, can use and understand and setup data logging systems such as MoTeC, AIM, PI and have been lucky enough to drive the cars on numerous test days, thus understanding the setup changes I will make.

In the motorsport industry, its not what you know, but who you know, go get some experience at the track and use the degree as that bit extra to get you a job over everyone else.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2580592)   #13
pdreams
Rookie

pdreams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any uni with a decent Formula SAE team plus a MSc at Cranfield. The latter is highly recognised by the industry for its MSc courses.

Hope this helps.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2584334)   #14
craig j
Rookie

craig j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I followed the suggested BEng/Cranfield MSc route and would highly recommend it. Although I followed a path into road car engineering, many of my friends from the MSc went straight into Motorsport. In fact I was lucky enough to complete my thesis with Jordan which would have opened the door if I had chosen to take it. I did notice a significant difference in the way that manufacturers treated me once I completed my Cranfield MSc and it did create several graduate job opportunities I would never have received without it.
Cheers
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2584505)   #15
///M
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig j View Post
Hi
I followed the suggested BEng
Which Univeristy? Cranfield automotive engineering?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2585004)   #16
craig j
Rookie

craig j should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M View Post
Which Univeristy? Cranfield automotive engineering?
BEng Engineering Design & Manufacture @ Hull (that well known engineering uni!)

MSC in Automotive Product Design @ Cranfield

There was no motorsport course all those years ago.

Good luck!
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2585127)   #17
MKII
Rookie

England
MKII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im currently a student on BEng Motorsport Engineering at Brookes and i would recommend it as your 1st choice. I had looked round many other Uni and it definitally stood out. The Technology building was a multi million pound project finish only 4/5 years ago and has great facilities. You have access to the 'autolab' which currently has ex FFord, F3, Indy Car + many engines and gearboxes which you get to take apart and setup.
They also have great FStudent team reguarly placing top 5 in the world.
Plus you have the chance to do a MSc Race Engine Design with the motorsport legend Geoff Goddard!
Old 17 Mar 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3042658)   #18
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cranfield University's MSc Motorsport Engineering and Management www.motorsport.cranfield.ac.uk has to be one of the world's leading programmes.

It has leading figures and organisations on its advisory board

Practitioners such as Pat Symonds, Daniele Casanova, Alex Burns lecture on the MSc

Thesis projects are backed by leading companies

The group design project is critically acclaimed

Strong network of alumni working in motorsport

Facilities that are unique

Link with Silverstone and the BRDC

Good career opportunities