Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 16 Oct 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3153120)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge

Hi everyone,

It's back ...

Can't wait to race in it again.

See: http://www.johnnyherbertkarting.co.uk/

It's in aid of the Alzheimer's Society in memory of late British IndyCar Champion, Dan Wheldon (1978 – 2011).

This is also very close to home as a member of my family has this terrible illness.

Paula

PS. The 2010 event was awesome.

See: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124259

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 17 Oct 2012 at 00:05.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3161749)   #2
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we have a full team now and deposits paid.

The Club 100 karts are having the engines changed to Honda 4 strokes which will make them safer and easier to handle.

Lucy & Anna have been racing in Club 100's 2 stroke Endurance races already so will know the ropes even more.

Wonder who our celebrity driver will be?

See the Autosport International Charity Karting Challenge (AIKC) "Facebook page"

http://www.facebook.com/CelebrityKarting

and Race Drivers Inc "Facebook page"

http://www.facebook.com/RaceDriversInc

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 3 Nov 2012 at 01:33.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3167927)   #3
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest News from organiser Roy Craig

http://www.johnnyherbertkarting.co.uk/

All team places are now sold and the waiting list is quite long, you can if you wish be added to the reserve list just in case a slot does become available.

Almost by tradition Herbies Heroes heads the list as Team No 1 and team member Antony Cannon sets the record for being the only person to have driven in Johnny’s event since it’s inception in 1994, before being changed to Herbies Heroes the team was known as The Johnny Herbert Fan Club being made up from members (myself included) the team would have been on the top step of the podium in that first event had it not been for a certain young new F1 driver later to be known as DC who had paid cash to the charity to ensure his team came first! ….sad for us but good news for the charity. Andy Baker holds 2nd place to this record having driven in the team since 1995.

Team 2 is again Team Forum, managed by Lou Massara and made up mainly from members of Johnny’s old web site Forum.

Retired motorsport photographer Paula Hamilton has once again entered her team aptly named Hamilton’s Flyers and I’m sure she hopes they will too!

I’m happy to welcome back Howard Kayman and Lane Bednash who have been supporting Johnny’s event for a long time now, they race regularly in the Club 100 series and have entered a team each.

Simon Delamare and Dave Pritchard have also entered teams before and will no doubt be looking forward to their return.

I am very pleased to announce that as befits Dan’s memory the Wheldon family have entered a team aptly named Wheldon Lionhearts which is captained by Ash Wheldon.

Many celebrity drivers are hoping to arrange their diaries to be able to attend with us and as their confirmations come in I will give you further updates………..Entry forms are being processed and I will also let you know about more teams soon.

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 18 Nov 2012 at 15:27.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3171466)   #4
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest News

Nov 22

BREAKING NEWS: Well aside from the AMAZING news we have coming up later today, we have received confirmation that Robbie Savage will be joining us at the Autosport International Show – Robbie is an Ambassador for Alzheimer’s Society and had this to say: ‘I can’t wait to take part and help raise funds and awareness for a charity very close to my heart.’

Thanks to Baz Scott of Race Drivers Inc for this news …….look out for the AMAZING stuff later !!

AND HERE IS THAT NEWS WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR

So, here’s the (latest) BIG NEWS: As some of the eagle-eyed will have spotted in Autosport today – Dan’s family are putting up one of Dan’s trophies for the winning team in the kart race. I’m sure everyone will share our sentiments in being honoured by such an amazing offering – the winning team will be very lucky indeed. The trophy will be on display on our stand over the weekend for those wanting to come along and take a look. THANK YOU to all of Dan’s family.

Thanks again to Baz Scott

Nov 21 - Johnny’s Fan to travel from Hungary

So you think it’s a long way to Birmingham?…. one loyal fan of Johnny’s is set to make the trip all the way from Hungary to take part in this special karting Challenge at The Autosport International Show…..This is not the first time that Szilvia Magyar (Borte to her friends) has travelled these many miles to the UK to see her idol, she has made the trip many times each November to share a few special hours in his presence at the JHKC.

Borte became involved by signing up to the Forum page of Johnny’s original web site and became friends with other members ………now for the very first time she will be taking to the track by becoming a driver with Team Forum under the watchful eye of Team manager Lou Massara ……..we wish them all well.

Old 8 Dec 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3176587)   #5
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest news from Roy Craig - December 5th

We have only good news for you ……Mark Webber who has supported Johnny’s event so well in the past has very kindly donated one of his race helmets to be auctioned in aid of our events benefitting charity “The Alzhiemers Society” and I can confirm some celebrity names that will be joining us at the NEC, they are;

Robbie Savage ..Johnny Mowlem .. David Brabham .. Gordon Sheddon .. Allan McNish .. and Robert Huff .. SKY TV stars David Croft and Ted Kravitz and flying in from Rome for the occasion is Emanuele Pirro. I will add more as they confirm so keep looking.

John Vigor and his team from Club 100 will be sorting the 20 plus karts needed and the plans for the temporary circuit to be erected in Hall 4 are well underway………Baz Scott from Race Drivers Inc will have a dedicated stand in the exhibition hall to showcase the Karting Challenge, the stand will also have on display the fantastic trophy of Dan Wheldons that the 20 teams will be racing for as well as the Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge shield that started life in 1994 and holds the names of all the winning teams ……..who’s will be on it for 2013 ?

Old 10 Dec 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3177344)   #6
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roots V8 Racing!
Old 13 Dec 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3178403)   #7
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Celebrity Driver Update

Dec 13th 2012

Latest News from Roy Craig

I am happy to announce that the 2012 Protyre Formula Renault BARC Champion and Autosport Award winner of the British Club Driver of The Year Scott Malvern will be joining us at the NEC ….. Scott has supported Johnny’s event since his early karting days thanks to Lynne Baines and it’s great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.
Old 13 Dec 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3178404)   #8
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Awesome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88 View Post
Roots V8 Racing!
Old 24 Dec 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3181526)   #9
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
More news on Teams from Roy Craig- Dec 22nd 2012

I have more news for you about some Teams taking part with us at The Autosport International Show ………Sam Michael will be captain of Team McLaren and Team Ecurie Ecosse will be headed by their driver Ollie Millroy who incidentally was in the winning team at the 2010 JHKC, Cardiff University are entered and the team headed by Morgan Jones. More news will follow soon about teams from BAM Motorsport – BKRC and Team Stilo.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3182237)   #10
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest news from Roy Craig on Teams - Dec 24th 2012

I am happy to announce that the 2012 Protyre Formula Renault BARC Champion and Autosport Award winner of the British Club Driver of The Year Scott Malvern will be joining us at the NEC ….. Scott has supported Johnny’s event since his early karting days thanks to Lynne Baines and it’s great to see him getting the recognition he deserves………….I can also confirm the attendance of “Travis” drummer Neil Primrose and race drivers Alex Brundle, Michael Lyons and Matt Bell.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3183787)   #11
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ex-Stig Ben Collins is racing for KartForce

https://www.facebook.com/KartForce?ref=stream

and: http://bencollins.com/
Old 4 Jan 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3184517)   #12
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
TV Presenter Gareth Jones is 'Hamilton's Flyers celebrity driver.

Top bloke who has supported Johnny's event down the years and I gather has only missed one race.

http://www.garethjones.tv/indexgj.html
Old 4 Jan 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3184577)   #13
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest News from Roy Craig

Kartforce – First Team of Injured Troops to Race at Autosport Int’l

Between these 5 lads they only have 4 legs – but that’s never slowed them down. 2 x double amputees, 2 x above knee amputees and 1 x 75% burns (and shot twice).

Kartforce’s team is entering this year’s 3hr Johnny Herbert Celebrity kart race. It’s going to be a great experience for the lads to race against teams made up of some of the UK’s top professional racing drivers.

For this first time, we’ve arranged for the lads to bring their wives so they can enjoy watching their fellas race. This will be a great start to the 2013 season.

Old 7 Jan 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3185746)   #14
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
More News from Roy Craig - Jan 5th 2013

The Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge Shield has been presented to the winning team since 1994 and will be again in 2013 alongside one of Dan Wheldon’s magnificent trophies, come and take a look on the Race Drivers Inc stand at The Autosport International Show

————————————————————————————————

Mark Webber who has supported Johnny’s event so well in the past has very kindly donated one of his race helmets to be auctioned in aid of our events benefitting charity “The Alzhiemers Society” and I can confirm some celebrity names that will be joining us at the NEC, they are;

Robbie Savage … David Brabham .. Gordon Sheddon .. Allan McNish .. and Robert Huff .. SKY TV stars David Croft and Ted Kravitz and flying in from Rome for the occasion is Emanuele Pirro. I will add more as they confirm so keep looking.

————————————————————————————————

John Vigor and his team from Club 100 will be sorting the 20 plus karts needed and the plans for the temporary circuit to be erected in Hall 4 are well underway………Baz Scott from Race Drivers Inc will have a dedicated stand in the exhibition hall to showcase the Karting Challenge, the stand will also have on display the fantastic trophy of Dan Wheldons that the 20 teams will be racing for as well as the Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge shield that started life in 1994 and holds the names of all the winning teams ……..who’s will be on it for 2013 ?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3187109)   #15
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Latest News - Jan 9th 2013

More stars have signed up to our Karting Challenge, James Winslow and Dillon Battistini from Indycars ……Gareth Jones who has been a supporter of Johnny’s event for 14 years, Andy Priauix and Tom Onslow-Cole too.

Many more top names from all categories of Motor Racing will be with us and Dan Wheldon’s family to raise as much as we can for The Alzheimer’s Society.

This event will be televised and shown on Motors TV just before the Daytona 24hrs on 26th January, don’t forget to record it !!!!

We look forward to seeing you there on Friday 11th ……….if your looking round the show please look out Race Drivers Inc Stand where you can view the Trophies on offer and also Mark’s helmet.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3188254)   #16
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just arrived back from Birmingham and what a fast and furious race last night.

It was hugely competitive and as soon as the full results are published, I will supply a link including the race report.

It was great to meet up with some old friends and acquaintances too.

I am very proud of my team 'Hamilton's Flyers' all of whom are non-professional drivers.

Anna Richards once again was our fastest driver. Her triathlons are paying off !!!

It was fun having Gareth Jones as our celebrity driver although he has not raced a kart for 2+ years !!!

Roll on the 2014 event.

PS. Here's a link to the official AIKC Facebook fotos

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7931798&type=3

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 12 Jan 2013 at 18:39.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3189236)   #17
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
January 14th 2013

Stars Race To Honour Dan Wheldon For Alzheimer’s Society

International stars from the world of two and four-wheeled motorsport, football, music and television, joined together to race in honour of British IndyCar Champion Dan Wheldon in the Autosport International Karting Challenge in aid of Alzheimer’s Society, on Friday, January 11.

Presented by Johnny Herbert at the NEC Birmingham for the first time, the special event celebrated the outstanding life and achievements of Dan ‘Lionheart’ Wheldon, while Clive, Ash, Austen, Elliott, Holly and Jo, were all in attendance for the three-hour endurance race.

In a fitting tribute, Dan’s fellow IndyCar racers, James Winslow and Dillon Battistini flew in from Indianapolis especially to support the event, while sportscar ace Emanuele Pirro travelled from Italy to take part.

Representing Alzheimer’s Society, Ambassador Robbie Savage took to the track alongside Travis drummer Neil Primrose, double World Superbike Champion Troy Corser, and former BBC Top Gear ‘Stig’ Ben Collins.

Rob Huff, David Brabham, McLaren’s Sam Michael and McLaren test and development driver Oliver Turvey, were just some of the stars that helped to drive funds and raise awareness for the Wheldon family’s nominated charity.

The winning BRKC team of karters Bradley Philpott, Mathias Grooten, Greg Laporte, Ruben Boutens and Robin Borremans were presented with Dan’s Autosport Gregor Grant Award by his father Clive. Full results are available to download online at www.club100.co.uk

The fundraising efforts for Alzheimer’s Society will continue into February with the online auction of Mark Webber’s 2012 helmet, Johnny Herbert’s 2011 Nordschleife 24 Hours race suit, Johnny Mowlem’s Lotus F1 race suit and gloves, plus other motorsport memorabilia.

Bids can be placed at www.sellebrity.org.uk or by visiting the Race Drivers Inc. stand at Autosport International, number 6132.

Fans can still donate in Dan’s memory at www.alzheimers.org.uk/danwheldon.

Clive Wheldon: “I’m so proud of everyone for all their hard work, and I know Dan would have been proud too. When he knew his mum had Alzheimer’s, he didn’t hesitate to help raise awareness in America. When he won the Indy 500 in 2011 he broke down on the podium and dedicated the race victory to his mum.

“For everyone to do this today to remember him is very special and I take my hat off to Johnny [Herbert]. It means a lot to the family, they’re all here, but it’s been hard for everyone. I know it’s been over a year but it brings back memories because he loved his karting, from five years of age and even in America, where in between races, he’d still be karting. If there’s a race on for him next year, I’ll be first here.”

Graham Browne, Alzheimer’s Society Ambassador: “As a motorsport fan it’s been great to see so many world class drivers turn out to raise funds and awareness for Alzheimer’s Society. I’ve been living with Pick’s disease, a form of dementia, for seven years. The support that I’ve received from Alzheimer’s Society in that time has been invaluable. The money raised will make a huge difference to the lives of so many others living with dementia and their carers.”

Robbie Savage, Alzheimer’s Society Ambassador: “To raise funds for a charity so close to my heart alongside so many racing legends has made tonight very special. After seeing the line-up I thought I’d finish last but I didn’t embarrass myself too much! My Alzheimer’s Society Celebs teammates put in a good shift and I’m over the moon that we finished sixth against so many talented drivers. My dad Colin had dementia so I know how hard it can sometimes be living with the condition. Not just for the person with the disease but also the family. The money raised will support so many people to live a better life with dementia today and fund research to find a cure for tomorrow.”

Johnny Herbert: “It’s been a really fantastic event. The turn out of drivers has been really good, from youngsters to KartForce with their specially adapted kart, and then there’s us old boys. It’s been really successful.

“It’s good to stage the kart race here at Autosport International. Of course, karting is where Dan built his craft. He came through the ranks with Jenson [Button], with Jenson going to Formula 1 and Dan going to America, where of course he won the Indy 500 twice and the IndyCar title.

“It was great to have those memories of Dan firmly in mind as we raced for Alzheimer’s Society. And it’s been great to have a lot of special people here racing together and have fun in Dan’s honour for a great cause.”

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 15 Jan 2013 at 00:53.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3189238)   #18
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Jan 14th 2013

Kartforce Team report

This was by far our best team performance to date. The lads performed on par with far more experience kart racers and professional racing drivers.

There were 20 teams – 6 drivers per team – in this 3 hr endurance race. We qualified in 20th place – last – but less than a second from pole position. That’s how tight it was.

As usual, Mark, our double amputee “Viking” was first out. Mark has an uncanny ability of slicing his way through the field at the start, and he did this again. By the end of lap 2 he’d made his way past 4 karts and at the end of his 30 min stint, handed over in 14th place.

Our Rookie, above knee amputee Welsh Guardsman Dale, was up next. This was Dale’s first race and he did us proud. He fought tooth and nail to defend his place, once getting into a real battle with World Touring Car Champion Rob Huff, only loosing 1 place on the grid in his 30 min stint.

Above knee amputee Stevie was up next – the “Fastest Tankie in the West”. In his usual calm but ruthless manner, Stevie picked off one driver after another and clocked up our fastest lap of the race – only 0.833 secs off the fastest lap of the race.

Ben Collins, ex Stig and James Bond stunt driver, took over with the team now in 12th. The kart had to be re-fuelled which meant we dropped a couple of places to 14th. The lads enjoyed putting Ben under a bit more pressure by telling him we’d had a bet amongst the team that any lad that didn’t go faster than the him had to buy the beer after. Four of the 5 lads clocked faster lap times than the Stig, which is a testament to how far they’ve come in such a short time.

“Mr Consistant”, our efficient Household Cavalryman took over in 14th place. Even after having the shortest stint of all the drivers, Martyn took us up to 12th place as after 20 mins, for tactical reasons, we called him in under a yellow flag. He wasn’t impressed, but understood why.

It was now down to our “Flying Scotsman” to take us to the chequered flag. This double amputee Black Watch soldier is not short on determination and, as Ben Collins said, “has serious skills”. Davie took us to our highest place of 10th and after a couple of racing incidents, crossed the finish line 12th.

This is an annual charity race held every year at the Autosports International Show at the NEC. This year’s race was in memory of Dan Wheldon, a British driver that was killed in an accident in a NASCAR race last year. Dan’s wife and family attended the event, which was raising funds for the Alzheimer’s Society. Some of the drivers racing included Johnny Herbert, IndyCar racers James Winslow & Dillon Battistini, Italian sportscar ace Emanuele Pirro, double World Superbike Champion Troy Corser, Rob Huff, David Brabham, McLaren’s Sam Michael and McLaren test & development driver Oliver Turvey. Also driving were ex-footballer Robbie Savage and Travis drummer Neil Primrose.
Once again, the lads have shown teams made up of far more experienced racing drivers that you don’t need all your limbs to race on a totally level playing field – you just need BRITISH BULLDOG BALLS!

The race will be aired on Motors TV several times over the next few weeks – as soon as dates are published we’ll post them on our Facebook page.

This was a perfect start to a new year of racing for KartForce. If this is what that lads can achieve in less than a year of karting, roll on the 2014 Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge.

Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:01 (Ref:3189244)   #19
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Mary,

If you log on to this facebook page it tells you when and also there are more fotos.

Take care

Paula

https://www.facebook.com/CelebrityKarting

PS.The Celebrity Karting will be shown on Motors TV a few times over the coming weeks - specifically, immediately prior to the Daytona 24hr.

and here's the link to the official fotos:

http://jakobebrey.com/search_results...7822&page_id=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblanchard271 View Post
Nice pictures! will it be shown on tv? When?